Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2014 09:00

Aurora-R4, Maximum Hardware Upgrades

Dear All

Currently I am planning to update my lovely Alienware Aurora R4 which I bought at the early 2013

These are my current specs: 

CPU:Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.60GHz Sandy Bridge

Motherboard: Alienware 07JNH0 BIOS A11

Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 

RAM: 16.0GB DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)

PSU: Alienware slandered 875 Watts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And these are what I am planning to buy:

CPU:Intel Corre  i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition (15M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz) Ivy Bridge.

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan Z 12GB. 

RAM:Kingston Technology HyperX Beast Series 32GB Kit (4x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 CL10 XMP.

Any help with this list and what are your recommendations ?

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

November 28th, 2014 15:00

If Santa lays all that under your tree this year, I'd say your R4 will be pleasantly maxed out. There are a couple R4's on eBay w/this setup, your list looks naughty & nice.

7853_Capture1.PNG

0753_Capture2.PNG

Above is a screen shot from Aug22, right before Aurora exits stage left: Titan Z is an approved card

• note it's a triple-slot card

You have a pair of psu video cables, make sure they both get used on your card:

Fan / cooling upgrade tips:

$ 4960x 

52 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 04:00

Did the HyperX Beast Series 32GB Kit (4x8GB) 1866MHz kit work for you?

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 05:00

Hey Mate 

I Just made an order for the following which i did not receive yet I ll let you know what was the outcome 

CORSAIR DOMINATOR Platinum CMD32GX3M4A1600C7 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1600MHz

I did extended research and some other user had a problem with them but his BIOS was A07 so I went for 1600 MHz but higher CL7.

I hope you find this answer helpful.

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 05:00

Amazing Answer Thanks I already Ordered the processor and the RAMs next step will be the Graphics but currently I am trying to find water cooling kit for the Nvidia Titan Z. I am not sure how I'm going to fit it in still searching.If you have any Idea it would be great.Thx  

5 Posts

January 12th, 2015 17:00

Ok i have recieved my order and installed it in my aroura and i have been facing some problems such

. I could not really make the new rams run directly out of the box i had to enter its values manually and i am getting 1300 instead 1600 Mhz

.I am experiencing over heat problem when set ACC to automatic fan control and i had to set it manuall which make the fans work really loud and conestant.

.When i set the fan in automatic mood i do not experience any crashes while th computer is on or while playing games on ultra performance.

. During automatic mood i get 65c for cpu and 78c for gpu.

. During manuall settings i get 50c for cpu and 60 for gpu

. During automatic setting i am experiencing a problem with the hypernating option ie. The computer go to sleep and alien head and left side panal turn to orange and keeps flashing and the pc does not respond to any action using my bluetooth mouse and keyboard (also dell brand) and the only way to get the pc run again is to unplug the power wire and press on power button to completely shut down the system then reconnect the power and turn on the pc.

Are these type of errors common after upgrading.

By the way i did not upgrade all at the same time i upgraded each one item  at a time

I started with RAMs first and used the pc for a week without any problem  

Then i installed the possessor and used the pc for one more week with no problem (got over heat first and i solved it by increasing thermal grease tuniq tx-4).

Then i installed the graphics  card  and starting to face hypernating problem with overheating.

No Events found!