Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2015 22:00

Aurora R4 Non-ALX Wireless Options

Hey folks. I currently have a 2012 Aurora R4 and I originally opted out of the wireless card, but now I have need for a bluetooth connection. My current setup makes it rather annoying to open the case, so for the moment, so my question is, should my motherboard have an available PCIe slot for this product:

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 08:00

Hi, 

We did not validate this wireless card with the Alienware Aurora R4 system. Therefore, I cannot confirm if its fully compatible. The wireless card below is supported with this system and includes Bluetooth technology. 

• WLAN, WiFi + blue tooth, Half Mini Card, DW1550, Liteon, Howards

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 23:00

Okay, so I found what I need, although the cost seems a bit steep. 

P/N R20R8 is listing as $50 or more from various sources. I'd be happy to buy the supported part if someone could convince me that it would perform better than a simple USB dongle. I'd like to avoid external options for space-saving and to keep the port open. 

I realize the supported part is usually the best option, but is there a generic card that uses the same connection I could test? My issue is that I don't know what interface it uses. The part MS-3871 seems to be a generic equivalent, so I'm hoping it would work. It's only $7.  

Thanks again for any assistance here. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 23rd, 2015 17:00

Hi, 

To connect a WiFi half-mini card, you need an adapter that will covert it to a PCI Express port. Below are the validated options for WiFi/Bluetooth cards and their part numbers. 

• MS3871 WiFi & Bluetooth Combo Card Assembly - R20R8 
  • WLAN, WiFi + blue tooth, Half Mini Card, DW1550 - TVFF3 
  • WLAN, WiFi, Full Height, DW1540, PCIE - 1MKM4 

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 17:00

For the half-mini what type of conversion would I need? The others use internal USB correct?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 24th, 2015 01:00

The  MS-3871 looks interesting ... if you have a free internal usb port on MB. Notice it goes in drive bay (or maybe outside machine in back) so no metal stops antenna.

You just want Bluetooth or WiFi also?

Personally, I would just get a well supported (drivers, etc.) USB dongle and call it a day.

You don't really want to use a valuable PCIe port for this project do you?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 28th, 2015 14:00

Hi, 

You would need a Mini PCIe to PCIe Express Adapter to connect the card. 

No Events found!