Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2015 22:00

Aurora R4 Stability and boot issues

A few weeks my Aurora R4 suddenly started to freeze, and then have difficulty booting up until it did not boot at all.

Before total boot failure, I did every diagnostic I could think: using the Dell PCDoctor, Windows disk check, Iolo system check with every test passing.

I recently installed a new ssd drive and a fresh install of windows 7. However I am still experiencing system freezes and boot issues.

Windows is up to date as well as all my drivers. The new ssd has passed sandisks tests.

I'm running WIndows 7 64

i7-3820 @ 3.60

8 GB of memory

nvidia gtx 760 video card

Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated.

38 Posts

December 14th, 2015 09:00

Thanks guys for the input. I did run the ePSA Diagnostics test which failed to detect that one of my sticks of RAM had gone bad. Actually what clued me into that I had a bad piece of RAM is that out of desperation, and naivety I upgraded from 7 to 10 to see if that would stabilize my system.  It did not, but when Windows 10 attempted to repair from a boot, it flashed a message about "non-executable memory module" before crashing. I replaced all my RAM with new RAM a week ago, and my Aurora has not had a single issue yet.  In fact she's working faster and lighter than ever before.  

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 08:00

Hi, 

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostics test to check the main hardware components. Click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run his test. Let us know if you receive any errors. 

12 Posts

December 12th, 2015 10:00

Hello,

I suddenly had 2 of my Alienware Aurora 4's with Windows 7 start freezing on me about 10-20 seconds after boot up.

My fix:

Get into safemode: spam F8 in the initial boot phase.

Once in safemode: Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> System Configuration --> Services --> Hide all Microsoft services --> uncheck SoftThings Agent Service --> Apply --> Ok --> reboot

I believe there is some sort of conflict going on between SoftThing Agent Service which is linked to a dell bundle of restore software.

This may not be your same problem, but it was so strange that it happened to both computers at the same time. I had originally stopped all non Microsoft services and systematically found that it was the SoftThings Agent Service that froze both computers. I hope this helps and looking forward to seeing if this fixes your freezing issue.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

December 14th, 2015 15:00

@Darkpool > it's good to hear your R4's back in the saddle again. Consider installing W7 on a separate drive perhaps for test & stability issues, since 10 is still having teething pains, where if 10 has a problemo you can qwickly be on what should be a glitch-free 7 in no time to gauge the situation. Happy Holidays brother.

12 Posts

December 14th, 2015 18:00

Hi Darkpool. I am happy that the ePSA Diagnostics test found the problem. I just spent the past 1/2 hour looking over your older post about the H80i liquid CPU Cooler. I didn't make the connection until I went looking for this post to see if your locking up problem was solved and saw that it was the same person. I am glad that you are still around! I just purchased the H80i GT from amazon and will be installing it this Thursday. I may have to shoot you a few questions if I'm having problems with the install.

38 Posts

December 14th, 2015 19:00

Hi Weestals. Congrats on the H80i GT purchase.  Installing the hardware was no problem, so as long as you follow the simple instructions. I chose to invert my fans inward instead of outward as the stock Alienware fan is directed which works great, as long as you don't mind the slightly louder fans.

The software was a nightmare install.  I hope you won't have any usb detection issues as I did..I think it took couple of weeks of searching on the Corsair forums to finally install the temperamental software to actually work. Since I upgrade to Windows 10, the software usb detection has once again gone nuts. The solution is way to technical for me to fix, so I'm gonna wait it out for the next release of the software.  The Corsair Link software does not need to be installed in order for the pump to work properly and regulated by your PC.

If you get the Corsair Link software to work properly, I would recommend to configure it so that it does not auto start at boot.  The software may conflict with the Alienware temp software and cause issues when loaded at boot as it did for me.  I never had an issue with manually starting the software (once I got it to work).  Generally I only started the Corsair Link software before playing a game.

Good luck amigo!

No Events found!