Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2015 12:00

Aurora R4 - Trouble with Windows 10 inplace upgrade

Dear Community,

I'am facing an issue regarding the Windows 10 inplace upgrade. Yesterday I tried to upgrade my Aurora R4 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The Aurora cotains two SSD drives which are combined to a RAID 0 (that is the original configuration I bought the Aurora with). The only thing I have ever changed regarding the configuration was that I added two Samsung 840 (1TB) SSD drives for my game collection.

If I try to upgrade my Windows I get the following error message (i added the german error message as well as the english version of that error message):

"Couldn't update the system reserved partition error"

"Die für das system reservierte partition konnte nicht aktualisiert werden"

I could not find any event log entries regarding this issue. Afterwards I googled the error message and got the info, that this is a common issue when the 100MB service partition does not have enough free disk space.

So I tried to fix this with Easeus partition master free edition and resize the partition manually. But I was a little bit confused, that my Aurora R4 does not seem to have a partition that matches the criteria.

diskpart.png

So can someone please explain to me how to fix this issue and why the *** my Aurora does not have a god *** service partition?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 5th, 2015 07:00

Hello, 

Just to confirm, do you have a total of 4 SSDs on this computer? Are the additional SSDs also in a raid configuration? If not, remove the 2 additional SSDs first and then try to do the Windows 10 update again. 

August 5th, 2015 09:00

Hi Rodrigo,

yes I have a total of 4 SSDs in my computer. But only the first two (the ones the computer was delivered with) are configured as RAID.

But I did the upgrade anyway. But I had to rearrange some disk space. For some reason the first partition (with already 500MB) was full. After I shrinked my C:\ partition (300MB) and added the free disk space to the first partition, the upgrade went through.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 6th, 2015 09:00

Thank you for confirming this. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

3 Posts

August 15th, 2015 14:00

Aurora R4 - Trouble with Windows 10 inplace upgrade

3 Attempts to upgrade to windows 10 with one SSD drive - get the following windows error: C1900101-20017

Then the system auto- reverts back to windows 7.

I called tech support as I have extended warranty with NO HELP. Just got song and dance answers as to why they can't help

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

August 19th, 2015 02:00

I also got the C1900101 error and revert to w7 in place via windows update.

My other 2 Dell systems were upgraded via the media download I carried out a week or so ago.

My aurora r4 system is under extended warranty but I believe that only covers hardware.

I will be trying the install again on the aurora r4 via the USB full version that I am expecting in the next few days.

If that fails I will try and get help from tech support via phone.

It might be a windows update problem rather than w10 itself.

3 Posts

September 21st, 2015 14:00

Hi, I have been trying since July 29th to get my Aurora R4 onto Windows 10, with no luck, I have tried everything, even putting W7 on with all the updates, Keyboard, Mouse, Sound, Graphics and AV.  Upgraded, no luck, tried W7 with updates and nothing else, no luck.

Wiped my OS Drive and used a bootable USB with W10, No luck.

Decided to wait a while, posted on Microsoft forums,, eventually got MS to respond, basically they pointed me to a Forum which said, disable AV (pre uninstall) I disabled, unplug any unnecessary USB, which I did, and tried again... nope, got no where near as if I did it originally with the Media Creation (5 or 6%)

So I got online with an MS through Chat, he went in the reg and found AllowOSUpdrage and this was set to no, he enabled it... however this did not work, he also found a few updates missing (I have updated all from MS ) it did not work, he then ran a tool from Tweaking.com (Windows Repair) however it was late in the night so had to power off when it completed....

spoke to another MS chap tonight and he went through the same checks as the previous chap, told me to remove Windows blinds (W10 compatible) which I did, Downloaded W10, rebooted and it actually got to 42% before a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, rebooted about 10 time (after 5 I removed all but the keyboard for USB) and got back into W7....

DELL PLEASE RESPOND, THIS IS STUPID, I HAVE HAD MY PC FOR JUST OVER A YEAR, YET I HEAR OF PEOPLE PULLING OUT LAPTOPS FROM 5 YEARS AGO AND THEY HAVE UPGRADED....... Not happy....

If anyone knows of a "I HATE DELL" Forum please give me the link ...

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 00:00

Just to let you know that I have not been able to do an upgrade from W7 and was asked by Dell Support to try installing Windows 10 on another disk as a clean install.

When I booted from the media I came to the install on disk step and only the external disks where being shown.

I am working with Dell support to try and resolve this issue.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 01:00

My problem was resolved as follows.

1. In W7 create a restore point and update the registry currentcontrolset/services to start the msahci and iastorV drivers.

2. Reboot and in BIOS change SATA Mode from RAID to AHCI.

3, Reboot after driver install and Reboot again to confirm W7 running with AHCI.

4. Upgrade W10 worked fine after that. 

3 Posts

November 21st, 2015 13:00

I have had loads of problems trying to upgrade, I think I have tried 20+ times, however to do I managed it..

Basically it was down to multi core processor, I set this to 1 in the Bios and it worked, here's what you need to do ..

answers.microsoft.com/.../db224756-027e-4a5c-83a8-0c8edd156e55

No Events found!