Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2014 16:00

Aurora-R4, Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1?

Hi all,

I have an Aurora-R4 purchased on June 2014 which came with Windows 7. Now I got a 8.1 license and would like to upgrade. I've seen some posts indicating troubleshooting when upgrading. Can anyone tell me if I can perform a clean installation or I can't? Is there something I shall do before upgrading? I would like to have all dell applications that came pre-installed in my Windows 7 such Alienware Command Center, etc..

All help will be much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 20th, 2014 23:00

Better to back up data and clean install Win8, followed by Win8 certified drivers from support.dell.com. Go to Aurora R4 and select Win8 as OS. Toward the end, you will install the Win8 compatible version of Command Center.

What other Dell apps do you want or really need? I can't think of any. Anyway ... they will be older Win7 versions. Best just to move on and replace them if necessary. So, which ones?

Edit: Here are some helpful links:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/536193?c=us&s=dhs&cs=19&l=

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19376654

13 Posts

October 21st, 2014 03:00

Thank you very much TESLA1856 i think is just what i needed.  I don't need to update Bios or any right?  If it is just clean install followed by drivers from dell, this weekend I will set my  windows 8.1 up.

Has anyone experienced improvements when upgrading from w7 to 8.1  or you would not recommend?

thx

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 21st, 2014 14:00

Thank you very much TESLA1856 i think is just what i needed.

I don't need to update Bios

You are welcome.

No, no BIOS update (unless something is broken). However, if you do it ... call into phone tech support and let them walk you through it. That way, if it kills/bricks your motherboard you will be covered for a new one and/or repair under warranty.

13 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 14:00

Hi again,

another issue i've just realized.  When my pc stand by for some time, instead of hinbernating it switch off!  I am getting sick with all this :(

13 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 14:00

Hi,

Finally (after several troubles trying to install unsuccessfully) I've my win8.1 running up, but still have some issues that hope you might help me: 

- My Pc doesn't recognize my 3.0 devices neither at front or back one (i have installed Renesas drives from dell)

-  Also when booting up, a screen shows up asking me to choose which OS would like to  run (when i deleted and format the whole partition when performing clean installation of Win8.1). I had to deactivate "show operating systems list" at System properties.  Is there any chance to completely remove win7 from my  computer?

- I've following error right at the bottom " Secureboot isn't configured correctly. How can i delete this?

- After configuring effects colors with AllienFx, they last only for some time and then switch off.

Sorry for bothering you so much and if my english is not very understandable.

Thx very much for your help!!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 22nd, 2014 19:00

Hi again,

another issue i've just realized.  When my pc stand by for some time, instead of hinbernating it switch off!  I am getting sick with all this :(

Hibernation is pretty much off. I use sleep or Off. Boot fresh once a day in morning.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 22nd, 2014 19:00

RE: USB 3.0 - Did you install chipset drivers first as instructed?

Re: SecureBoot - Turn on SecureBoot in BIOS. Also, these:
SATA Mode = AHCI Mode
Boot Mode = UEFI

RE: Boot - You have created a dual-boot system. You should delete all partitions first (drive completely empty), then install Windows only once. Do above first.

RE: AlienFX . Not all versions are Win8.1 compatible, but the latest should be

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 22nd, 2014 20:00

Hi,

thx very much for your reply.  I meant Sleep sorry., i've in spanish language.  When i push sleep buttom my pc switches off ;(.  I've been seeking some troubleshootings and followed some steps (like delete all NVidia softs and reinstall again from dell links) but still not working.

Any solution??

What Sleep button? I only have a Power button. Try clicking on proper item in menu.

13 Posts

Hi,

thx very much for your reply.  I meant Sleep sorry., i've in spanish language.  When i push sleep buttom my pc switches off ;(.  I've been seeking some troubleshootings and followed some steps (like delete all NVidia softs and reinstall again from dell links) but still not working.

Any solution??

13 Posts

Hi Tesla,

I've been following some troubleshootings  and I could fix  USB 3.0, AlienFx & secure boot so far (for secure boot i did not touch anything actually)

Regarding dual-boot I've uncheck "show OS list" at system preferences, but its very strange because I deleted the whole SSD before installing.  Shall i reinstall w8 again and pass through all this process one more time or that won't be necessary?

The main issue I've now is that i can't sleep my computer.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Hi Tesla,

I've been following some troubleshootings  and I could fix  USB 3.0, AlienFx & secure boot so far (for secure boot i did not touch anything actually)

Regarding dual-boot I've uncheck "show OS list" at system preferences, but its very strange because I deleted the whole SSD before installing.  Shall i reinstall w8 again and pass through all this process one more time or that won't be necessary?

Hard to say without seeing your drives partitions.

There might be a Dell Diagnostic partition at beginning of drive. There is a special way of deleting that. If you were to change that, yes ... I think t would take another install.

You can always just run Easy-BCD and fix it that way.

13 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 21:00

Thx very much one more time.  I will try to fix by using Easy-BCD .  I'll let you know tomorrow. I am going to sleep now...I am fed up of problems today :D

13 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 21:00

Cafresfirm

Hi,

Any solution??

What Sleep button? I only have a Power button. Try clicking on proper item in menu.

I mean that when I go menu > sleep , or after 30 minutes stand by, instead of turning into sleep mode my pc will automaticly switch off ;(.   There is any chance to fix this issue?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 22nd, 2014 22:00

Thx very much one more time.  I will try to fix by using Easy-BCD .  I'll let you know tomorrow. I am going to sleep now...I am fed up of problems today :D

Sounds good.

If you decide to delete that partition (to free space on SSD) and re-install clean and perfect (now that you know how) ... here are my notes. They will delete everything as in nuke-and-pave. Looks like they might be written as moving a previous system drive to 2nd drive, but you get the idea.

Deleting the Windows 7 'OEM' partition, and any other utility partitions.

My directions:

I just opened Command Prompt as Admin, or do this:
Windows Key> + R to open the run window and type "diskpart" to open MS DiskPart

Type "list disk" to display a list of the physical disks on your machine

Where n (e.g. 0, or 1 or 2 ) is the ID of your physical drive,
The Disk number should match what you see in Disk Management

type "select disk n" n= which ever the disk is.

To delete all the partitions type "clean". This is easier than attempting to delete one partition in which some oems lock since the "delete partition n" will give a error with some of the OEM partitions, so the only way around is to clear the disk by typing "clean"

then your free to partition your hard drive any way you want.

Restart Disk Management. It should ask to Initialize new disk

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 22nd, 2014 22:00

Tesla1856

Cafresfirm

Hi,

Any solution??

I mean that when I go menu > sleep , or after 30 minutes stand by, instead of turning into sleep mode my pc will automaticly switch off ;(.   There is any chance to fix this issue?

Sorry, no ... never seen that. Is BIOS still on S3 sleep setting? Sounds like a Windows problem with ACPI . Have you check Power Profiles?

No Events found!