Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2013 10:00

Aurora R4: Windows 8 upgrade, FAILED

Good day, I decided to upgrade to W8 during the week end. So I bought it for 39,99 and downloaded it. I started the installation from the desktop. Took a while, until the reboot. When trying to reboot, the PC got stucked on that black screen with that icon turning around. I waited for about one hour, but nothing happened. No HD activity. So I restared it. I had choice between W8, installation program and W7. Both W8 and installation didnt work, has the same black screen with the icon. So i choose W7, the PC booted and everthing was ok, like before starting W8 installtion, but with an error message saying that W8 installation was impossible. Before doing the installation, I did run the upgrade assistant. 6 items was pointed as to be problem. Do I need to solve this before doing the installation? (problem with Itune, Secure boot, something with AMD (the processor is intel ?!), etc). Some may say « do a clean install ». I do not want to do that, I have to many stuff to reinstall/download. I really want to upgrade. Any input?

111 Posts

January 17th, 2013 19:00

update:

Believe or not, it finally worked!

We need to update the Intel Raid Driver to version 3.5

See this link, there's explanation and a link to the driver:

www.alienwarearena.com/.../how-long-does-it-take-to-install-windows-8-

Cheers!

January 15th, 2013 08:00

Hello Leodagan,

Most likely the errors you are getting from the upgrade assistance are preventing the system to complete the W8 upgrade, make sure the version of the programs and drivers are up to date and that all the hardware on your machine is compatible with W8.

111 Posts

January 15th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the reply.

I removed all non compatible software to be sure.

I rescanned with the upgrade assistant.  Everything was fine, it says that my computer is ready to be upgraded.

But it does the same thing.  Installation process go well, reboot at 100%, then nothing.  I tried installing from a DVD.  same thing.  Weird.

January 16th, 2013 09:00

Leodagan

I can tell you that in some cases the upgrade can fail, I know that you don't want to reformat the operating system, but if you want to have this done I suggest that you back up your data and process a clean installation of windows 8.

111 Posts

January 16th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for the reply Karen.  Unfortunately, doing a clean install is not an option.  I prefer to stay with W7 in this case :)

One last thing I need to try: boot the computer with the DVD or a media, instead of performing the installation from the desktop (or DVD once the PC is started)

I tried that before, but it didnt want to boot from the DVD.  I readed on the Microsoft support forum that the DVD burned from an online purchase do not support uefi boot.  But on a usb key, it should be ok.

support.microsoft.com/.../2793441

Sorry, its in french. (but there is a translation button)

So I will try to install the ISO on my key, and boot the computer from the key.

I will see what it will do.

111 Posts

January 16th, 2013 17:00

Another attempt, another failure.

8 Posts

January 16th, 2013 21:00

I am having the exact same problem. I have upgraded all my drivers and my bois,  Secure boot is not turned on. I even made 2 partitions on the hard drive so that the drive is no larger then 2tb and nothing has worked. I was told that we need to update our raid driver to 3.5 but when I try to do that it wont boot and rolls the driver back. Not sure if any of this helps but you are not alone in this problem.

901 Posts

January 17th, 2013 02:00

Have you update your system BIOS?

Is the file system in the system BIOS set to UEFI? (Windows 8 needs UEFI)

Is RAID disabled?(Aurora's wont upgrade with RAID enabled, I dont mean RAID in the system BIOS, I mean in the RAID menu - Control i at startup)

Do you have a ethernet connection operating during upgrade/installation?(sometimes windows can fix itself if it has access to the internet, especially win 8, its a bit smarter than win 7)

Did the USB installation you tried fail for the same reasons as last time, or did the USB malfunction? (Maybe try another usb port or usb drive)

I know you have mentioned not wanting to do a fresh/clean install, but even if you do eventually succeed in installing windows 8 this way it will be very messy inside your hard drive, your going to endup with 4-6 partitions and bits of files all over the place, not something that with be conductive to a high performance system with a 3930K processor, well not in my option anyway, nice and clean usually equates to nice and fast :)

111 Posts

January 17th, 2013 07:00

1- My bios version is A05.  It's not the newest one, but I could try updating it.

2- Yes, UEFI.

3- I will take a look at this.  I think it's not activated, since I only have one HD.

4- Yes, and prior to the installation, the installation application did connect to MS to make sure no update was required.

5- USB failed for the same reason.  In fact, the whole installation process go well up to 100%.  Then it advise that the system need to reboot, and it's during reboot that it stuck at the rotating dot.

(Strange thing: Since W8 cant create a DVD that boot in UEFI, I had to try with the USB key.  Well, it does boot with the key, but when choosing the installation (upgrade), it says to remove the key, let W7 start normally, then reinsert the key and start the installation process.)

6- So whatever installation type I choose (from desktop, from DVD in W7 or from USB), it does the exact same thing.  

As for a clean install, I dont want to do that, since I have more than 100gb of games (I buy everything trough steam or origin).  W7 is working well, everything is stable.  The only reason I want W8, is because I like the new interface.  So just for this reason, it's not worth spending hours reinstalling everything :|

8 Posts

January 17th, 2013 17:00

AndrewSi, I am not sure about the OP but for myself, I have only 1 hard drive so the raid menu option never pops up. pressing Ctr I or even ctr A (another one I heard may work) at restart did nothing.

No Events found!