Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2012 21:00

Aurora R4 bios A06 Problem on Crucial SSD

hi,this morning i update the bios FROM A05 to A06. Prior of this bios update, i have succesfully upgrade and install windows 8. have been using win 8 pro gor two day without any problem at all.

however, after update the bios this morning? the pc cannot find boot device error occurs. i checked my ssd (crucial m4) is not detected at bios. restarting, dismount/mount back also same error. i enter dell diagnostic and after complete it can now detect. what is the problem?

then if i power down, the same error occus and i need to enter dell diagnostics to make my ssd appear again. i then tried to downgrade back to A05. The upgrade working but its not applied and i still at bios A06. HOW TO DOWNGRADE BACK TO BIOS REV A05??

71 Posts

October 31st, 2012 22:00

Oh just see ur reply on the bios change. Ok i will try.

Thanks mate.

96 Posts

So, in effect, DELL has gone and  up the R4 yet again? Here we go again.  No use calling tech support.... they are pretty much useless in my opinion, they only seem to care about getting good feedback on the after service survey.  Good luck! Oh, btw, yes there is a way to revert back to a previous version. Here's how: (if you can get your windows loaded up). Goto alienautopsy in your start bar - programmes list, start it up. The goto drivers and downloads.  goto BIOS selection.  Choose "previous versions" - it will then basically send you to a page with the A06 again for some odd reason, then where it says previous versions on this page, click that link and it will bring up the BIOS versions A05 and A03.

Hope this helps.

96 Posts

The method I posted above is the way I would do it.  But if you have tried this already... try the alien respawn option (I've never used it so I don't know how it works) but I think you are able to revert back via that method.  Please don't quote me on that though.

PS - your very welcome... hope it works!

71 Posts

Yes this update  my perfect working system. Now im stuck everytime i power on i need to go running the epsa until it finish than reboot than only the ssd is found in the list of available drives and enable the boot. Regretting why i update the bios. Do you know how to downgrade the bios to previous revisions?

71 Posts

October 31st, 2012 23:00

im in South East Asia :-)

96 Posts

Other than that, the only thing that I can think of is that once a BIOS update takes place, you may not be able to revert it.  In which case... send a message to technical support (good luck) so that if nothing else they start to become aware of the issue and hopefully will fix it as soon as possible.

*Out of curiosity*, can you provide me with the basic information about your system, i.e. which graphics card and chip you are using specifically. I ask this as maybe it is only affecting certain systems, rather like the AO3 didn't work with the GTX680 graphics cards.

96 Posts

Also, it seems that DELL R4 and the GTX 680 is still very problematic, judging by what you have just told me.  It may be something critical they missed out of the update with regards to the SSD drive. Will be interesting to see what others say in the coming days to see if they have the same configuration.

71 Posts

The alienrespawn will bo nothing. Its only for system software recovery. The problem now is the bios..

71 Posts

No. I didnt. Im scare to update anything at this point of time. But i really believe the problem is not operating system because, when i boot (cold boot) the bios simply did not find my SSD . I go to Bios and there is no SSD found. Thats why the system cannot load windows. But if i run the diagnostic (selec from F12) and wait until the test complete (if i interrupt, the SSD also will not be found) and due to 16GB ram this takes ~ 25 minutes to complete, the next reboot, the bios simply detect it without me doing anything. I dont think its my SSD problem because my other SSD also cannot be detected. and I do not have this problem ever before i update the Bios.

my boot time for this aurora r4 is increased from 4 sec (windows 8) to ~ 25 minute due to diagnostic program.

to be able to use without this issue is do not power off this system lol

71 Posts

yeah i tried it all.. even using my backup HDD that I cloned before i update to win 8. It occurs same in win7 and win8. I think it is because the problem is inside the Bios..

I never did downgarding the bios before in aurora but i did last time at M17x R3 and it can. You can upload any bios that you want. How some this Aurora can not? during i execute Bios A05 there is a warning saying the bios is older than current bios (yeah i know that) than i choose proceed . It seem running but not same when it actually running (because you can hear the cpu fan maximize during the update) it running silently and request me to boot. But when i boot the boot page still showing the A06 and when i power off the system, i can not boot again. running the diagnostic can solve the problem but who want to do that?

96 Posts

hhmmm... ok next step...

Try using windows restore to a point before the update.  I am not sure if this will work, because the BIOS update take effect outside of windows aswell (obviously).  Try it anyway.

71 Posts

okay mate. thanks for all your reply. have a good sleep then.. :-)

so far (before i update the Bios to A06), i like Win 8 very much. Fast response,quick boot and shutdown time. a lot of new features such as able to read the iso file directly,etc etc (still discovering).

And good point is i can play my game as usual, no compatibility issue at all. running old game like company of heroes until latest BF3,borderland2 runs fine and great on this system under win 8. to run applications/game you can add shortcut at metro tiles or switch to desktop mode.

and not to forget about windows 8 metro interface its new and fun to use. I recommend you to upgrade. I upgrade using offer price since my aurora just 2 month old and having the win 7, they offer upgrade price.

thanks again. gud nite

71 Posts

Oh you meant in the website. Yes i tried that before its running but the bios is not applied. After reboot it remains the same rev A06 even i use A03 or A05. I thought autopsy have the function built in as what you explain.

Manually downgrade did not works.

71 Posts

I didnt find what you have mentioned at autopsy. It will redirect me to dell drivers webpage only containing the problematic A06 bios :-(

71 Posts

yes, i think its time me to call dell.

My aurora came with 3930K and single GTX 680 and 16GB 1600 DDR3 Ram.

I use only ACHI mode (Single SSD for boot/windows) and two other drive with each 1TB for data/programs.

Previously my M17x , i can upload any bios that i want.. somehow desktop should be more better in configuration edit from the laptop but this show it is not. it is more restriction in desktop campared to laptop as what ive experencing.

No Events found!