Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2013 18:00

Aurora-R4, no post

Hello I have an Aurora R4 I recently called Dell to Fix my cooling system. They updated my bios to 07 and now my computer wont start.  I just have a black screen. I removed battery and tried all the conventional ways of rebooting any suggestions. Dell won't help me they are saying that I downloaded it even though they had remote access! Please I need some help. They want me now to pay 1000 to get a new cooling system and motherboard for a 1500$ computer. Also my computer is 1 month past warranty. Go figure.

2K Posts

July 4th, 2013 21:00

Hi GTFX,

We are sorry about the run around. It is unfortunate that the computer is not turning on. Request you let me know if you hear any beep codes from the computer.

You may also try following the below steps:

(1) Turn off the computer

(2) Remove all the external peripherals like AC Adaptor, battery, flash drive, etc.

(3) Press and hold the power button for 30sec which releases the static on the computer (if any)

(4) Now put back the battery and plug in the charger.

(5) Let the computer charge for some time.

(6) Now try turning on the computer.

(7) If the computer still doesn’t turn on you may follow the next step:

(8) Ensure the power cable is plugged in to the PSU and just press the button near the LED on the PSU

(9) If the LED glows solid green then the PSU is good

(10) If the LED does not glow then disconnect all devices from the PSU and run the self-test again. If the test still fails the PSU could be faulty but if the test passes at this stage the PSU is good and troubleshooting should continue by isolating individual devices

(11) You may also try connecting a known good monitor to check if it works on an external monitor.

2626.Aurora R4.PNG

Do reply with your answers.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 4th, 2013 22:00

Sounds like whoever updated the BIOS "bricked" or killed the motherboard. If that was Dell, their policy is to replace the motherboard at no charge to you. Call back, ask nicely, request to speak to a manager if necessary:

DELL-Chris M

onTue, Jul 2 2013 7:34 AM

hbk123, dutchjoel,

We in the USA cannot speak to other regions policies. In the Americas, this is the policy...

* If you are inside the warranty period and were asked by Dell Technical Support to load a System Bios
update, and the update fails rendering the motherboard CMOS corrupt, Dell will
replace the motherboard via onsite service.

* If you are inside the warranty period and loaded the System Bios update WITHOUT any direction from
Dell Technical Support, and the update fails rendering the motherboard CMOS
corrupt, Dell will do a one time only motherboard replacement via onsite
service. We will ask you to seek our help in doing any future System Bios
updates.

* If you are outside of the warranty period and were asked by Dell Technical Support to load a System Bios
update, and the update fails rendering the motherboard CMOS corrupt, Dell will
do a one time only motherboard replacement via Parts Only Service. You will
have to replace it yourself or have a local technician do the motherboard swap.

* If you are outside the warranty period and loaded the System Bios update WITHOUT any direction from
Dell Technical Support, and the update fails rendering the motherboard CMOS
corrupt, you must purchase a replacement motherboard and replace it yourself or
have a local technician do the swap.

Liaison for Alienware and Monitors. Let me know on this thread
if you need additional assistance.

2 Posts

July 5th, 2013 08:00

The PSU is good as the light is green, when i turn on my computer the fan noise is minimal the lights come on but that is it, there is no signal to the monitor or any response from anything plugged in. Also removed vid card and the battery and let go of the static set back up and still same ..i think she is dead :(

2K Posts

July 8th, 2013 01:00

Hi GTFX,

Thank you for following the steps mentioned by me. The video card or the motherboard might have failed. Request you to send me the system service tag via private message. I will check and see what best can be done.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select start conversation.

April 6th, 2015 20:00

And that is a VERY consumer hostile policy. There are enough reports of bricked Aurora motherboards after applying a BIOS update that the problem is clearly DELL's. Blaming the end user when the problem is a faulty update posted on Dell's site is just plain wrong.

Sure, if the end user had never applied the faulty update they'd be OK. But the end user should have a reasonable expectation that updates posted to the official site, and offered by the official system detect tool, are not going to be a bomb that irreparably damages their computer.

Worse yet, when this happened to me, Dell could not even, at any price, sell me a new motherboard. They no longer stock parts for my computer (bought in December 2012)

1 Message

February 3rd, 2016 16:00

This is exactly what happened to me.  Now my $6,000 computer is worthless.  After 10 years with Alienware and Dell I'm done.  Numerous support reps (not US based) said that since I'm out of my 3 year service contract they can't do anything for me, at any price.  They told me all I could do was contact support@alienware.com which I did.  I was told that I would receive a response within 48 hours.  It's been two weeks.  I called back and was referred to ztronics.com with a part number of KR0CX which isn't even sold on that site.  After all the money my companies have spent with Alienware, this is the service I get?  My system bricked by their official system detect tool.  CYA Alienware and Dell.

No Events found!