Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2013 09:00

Aurora R4 overheating problem SOLVED!!!

I posted few days ago about my  aurora overheating problem but got no real answer... So i decided to find the problem by myself and look what i found ...

My theory was that my pump wasnt working because 1 hose ( the out ) was really getting hot ( almost can't touch it ) and the intake was cold.

So i removed my entire watercooling systems

the inside pump liquid was full no problem here

4722.pump.jpg

The input right side...  no problem

1307.input.jpg

And finaly ... the problem the output of the liquid was complety blocked by that gelly thing

3463.output.jpg

So i cleaned all this with alcool, putted new thermal paste on CPU and here we go [:O]

Before

2388.temp.jpg

After

2818.Temp after.jpg

So i hope this thread will help someome because i did alot of search and found nothing that helped me.

And i got a question for alienware support wasnt the watercooling system was suppose to be maintenance free ??

This look like a bad quality watercooling liquid ! And its not old i bought my comp in june 2012 so warranty ended 1 month ago ...

72 Posts

July 16th, 2013 12:00

That's really good you took it upon yourself to troublshoot the problem and correct it, bravo.

1 Message

July 19th, 2013 05:00

Just wanted to post here that a day before you posted this my fans were acting up in the same way. I also bought my computer June 2012 and like you the warranty ended a month ago. I was searching like crazy for a fix. Found your post, opened up my computer and had the exact same problem. Fixed it just like you and I've been running fine all week. You're my hero thanks big time for this post/fix

9 Posts

July 19th, 2013 14:00

Your welcome  , Happy to see my post helped you  

2 Posts

July 19th, 2013 19:00

Thank you so much for posting this.

I have an Aurora R4 that is 2 months out of warranty with these exact symptoms.  

I figured out it was the pump, but unfortunately could not find anything online about repair or maintenance, and decided to just replace it.

In any case, I ordered a replacement from a 3rd party and fixed the problem ($150 later)

I have my original part and will break it down and see if it the same issue.

/begin rant

Even though I just wanted to order a replacement part, Dell would literally not talk to me by phone or respond to email since my $2.8k computer was 60 days out of warranty (no response for 2 weeks)

Since I explained this was a serious heat failure to the CPU, I can only suppose they hope you just cook it and have to buy another system.

I have been buying Dell systems for my family almost exclusively for 10 year (including the first gen XPS laptop), I currently own two Auroras and two XPS 13 laptops.

Given that Dell had no regard for me as a customer or the slightest inclination to address a serious part performance defect, this is sadly my last Dell.

/end rant

1 Message

July 20th, 2013 17:00

I bought my Aurora a little over a year ago and it just recently started to roar, too.  Of course my warranty was up last month; so, I began to research online what the issue might be and came across your thread.  Sure enough, my cooling system was clogged.  I went out and bought a Corsair Hydro Series H55 cooling system from Best Buy for 70 bucks.  With very few adjustments (I simply didn't use the washers that attached the fan and radiator to the back and installed the fan backwards,  as exhaust, like the Nidec fan that was attached to my Asetek radiator) I was able to fix my system and bring my temperatures down from 105 Celsius to 40-50 Celsius. 

Note:  I have very little computer assembly/disassembly skill (hence, the reason I bought an Alienware instead of putting my own kit together on TigerDirect like the rest of my friends), yet I was able to figure out how to install the Corsair fan listed above.

Thank you for posting this thread! I know that we are not alone...just google "Aurora R4 overheating" and you will see the mess of people complaining about this.  I'm very happy with my Alienware, otherwise.

July 21st, 2013 05:00

my Aurora R4 is overheating,  stops and starts, some times i get a black screen at start up. power bution sticks. lights change or turn off. I have 44 days before warent expirer. but i dont know were i boought it from, becuse my paper work is in an old pc, that will not start up.. so i can copy it from my email, and know were to send my pc for repair.  

445 Posts

July 21st, 2013 06:00

If it's still under warranty call Alienware Tech Support, give them the service tag number, your name etc. and they should have it on file. Which country you bought the computer and live in may make a difference.

10 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 04:00

Thanks for the post on this Goldfire.

Turns out I'd the same issue; followed your guide and was able to resolve issue.

Cheers mate!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 13:00

Wayne3842,

There are many complaints, but those complaints are not translating into part dispatches. Because of this "non-translation", there are not enough Liquid Cooling units being replaced in the field for Dell to define this as a systemic issue. I will of course send this data up the line to the Alienware team.

For systems still under warranty, we will replace the Liquid Cooling unit 5560W.

For out of warranty systems, the user will need to either buy part number 5560W:
http://www.impactcomputers.com/5560w.html

Or replace it with a 3rd party Liquid Cooling unit:
http://www.corsair.com/en/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series-water-cooling-cpu-cooler/hydro-series-h55-quiet-cpu-cooler.html

445 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 13:00

Thanks for the replay, Chris. I am not too worried about my setup as I have a 3 year extended warranty and it looks like the trouble starts at about 14 months, Mine is 9 months old now, but will still keep an eye on things. Dell/Alienware as always given me excellent service when it comes to replacing bad parts.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 26th, 2013 12:00

For out of warranty systems, the user will need to either buy part number 5560W:
http://www.impactcomputers.com/5560w.html

These are used parts (probably about as good as the one they already have).

Customers need an easy way to buy a NEW exact replacement Dell-Alienware part.

While the Corsair part you linked to might work in some fashion, there is no easy way to interface it to MIO-Board so it will show up in Command Center Thermal Controls.

445 Posts

July 26th, 2013 13:00

Tesla1856. I totally agree with everything you are saying. After reading all the troubles people are having with these liquid cooled units I expect I will have that same problem. I have a 3 year warranty so the cost is not a issue now, but can I expect to have the unit replaced every year or so because of a manufactures defect? Then, what happens after my warranty runs out? I appreciate Chris M giving his input and what can be done and what parts can be used, but to me that's just a band aid and not a solution if that same part is put in only to fail in X number of months. I too wondered about that Corsair unit working right with the Aurora R4. Thanks for your thoughts on that.

9 Posts

August 6th, 2013 15:00

Hi, i did not change the liquid because i had nothing to remplace it when i opened my pump. I just held the pump verticaly and i almost lost no liquid but i know i am going to have to change it one day. I will probably make my own coolant with distilled water.

If you chose distilled water, check this article http://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/  

Goldfire

4 Posts

Great! - Thanks for the tip, and for the thread.

I'll update with some pics when I take a look later!

Nick

4 Posts

Hi there -

I've got an R4 also, and I suspect this has happened to my Liquid cooler, too - The symptoms are near-identical:

One hose cool, the other blisteringly hot -

Temps of 100+ deg C (with minimal CPU-usage)

14 months old (and JUST out of warranty)

I wanted to ask you, when you cleaned the filter, what did you re-fill  the cooling loop with?

distilled water, or a branded coolant?

Thanks.

Nick.

No Events found!