Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2013 09:00

Aurora R4 overheating problem SOLVED!!!

I posted few days ago about my  aurora overheating problem but got no real answer... So i decided to find the problem by myself and look what i found ...

My theory was that my pump wasnt working because 1 hose ( the out ) was really getting hot ( almost can't touch it ) and the intake was cold.

So i removed my entire watercooling systems

the inside pump liquid was full no problem here

4722.pump.jpg

The input right side...  no problem

1307.input.jpg

And finaly ... the problem the output of the liquid was complety blocked by that gelly thing

3463.output.jpg

So i cleaned all this with alcool, putted new thermal paste on CPU and here we go [:O]

Before

2388.temp.jpg

After

2818.Temp after.jpg

So i hope this thread will help someome because i did alot of search and found nothing that helped me.

And i got a question for alienware support wasnt the watercooling system was suppose to be maintenance free ??

This look like a bad quality watercooling liquid ! And its not old i bought my comp in june 2012 so warranty ended 1 month ago ...

162 Posts

January 4th, 2014 13:00

KEAPS,

I'm thinking about buying the Corsair h80i myself since you already installed it on yours I hope you don't mind me asking you a couple of questions.

I was looking for the USB connection from the pump to the motherboard where did you plug your in at if you did if not is everything working fine.

And did you use both fans the original fan is exhausting out of the case did you follow that same procedure.

My machine is doing the same thing everyone else is doing and I do like the Corsair fans

8 Posts

January 4th, 2014 15:00

Hello Raysz,

The USB ports are located on the MOBO, under the Graphic card. There is normally a free one :)

I followed the documentation for the 2 fans, they're exhausting out both.

Let me know if you have any questions !

Cheers !

KEAPS

445 Posts

January 4th, 2014 15:00

That is strange they would tell you they would replace the liquid cooling unit then drop the ball. The number I use for Alienware support is 1-866-287-6727, follow the prompts and never have any trouble. I also get people with Spanish sir names, who speak understandable English unlike what you normally get. If that's not the number you have been using, give that a try.  

162 Posts

January 4th, 2014 19:00

Well just my luck I went to the two popular stores in my area and they were sold out lol.

so I have to order it online, I will let you know how it goes just as soon as I get it

I appreciate your response back you helped a lot

162 Posts

January 5th, 2014 03:00

I do have two more questions if you don't mind.

After you install the pump, since you're not using the plug that the original pump was plugged into. 

in CMOS there is a place where the pump can be throttled did you disable this or just left it alone.

and I'm also assuming that the thermal control software (Alienware) that is no longer needed either since Corsair has their own

I appreciate all your help

8 Posts

January 6th, 2014 11:00

Thanks so much for this - my R4 had been roaring so loud for awhile now and I tried a few things - opened the case for better airflow, re-installed the Command center etc like I read had read on other posts.

I yanked out the stock cooling and replaced with an Intel TS13X liquid cooling package and now it soooo  quite I cannot believe the difference and my core temps sit between 37c and 50c depending on load.

I had to to the hardware store to pick up some longer screws to mount, but other than that it works great. It only uses the one pin for the fan for power - so no modifications or trickiness needed to setup

Thanks so much for posting this.

Neil.

Ps- I am gonna take apart the old system to see what I see - will post pics

8 Posts

January 6th, 2014 12:00

Raysz, yes, you will have to leave alone the dedicated plug. The alienware control software will be indeed useless ( except for lights ).

The only thing you will have to do is to hit the F1 key while booting. ( not really annoying anyway ).

162 Posts

January 7th, 2014 20:00

Hi Keaps

I got the new pump today so this Friday night I will be installing it.

So where did you hook up the three pin header plug

the CPU fan plug maybe

1 Message

January 8th, 2014 13:00

I have a customer here in france with the same problem, do you think maybe the fact that the coolers are failing slightly after the warranty TRANSLATES TO NO PARTS SHIPPED? more expensive models, known problem, dell would gain a lot to warranty the coolers after the year is up, like a recall?

i reccommend dell fairly highly on my list of "best" computers but this sound like an rip off. liquid cooling that gels up after so many hours of use? on average after the warranty expires?

I am going to have my customer scream at dell and if i/they get no response, i will bad mouth dell every chance i get.

445 Posts

January 8th, 2014 14:00

bretlebete: There are a lot of people upset about this known defect and nothing being done by Dell/Alienware. Why? is a good question. Awhile back Dell-Chris M said he forwarded the problem to his higher ups, but I don't see anything being done. There has to be a way that those bad Asetek coolers can be tied to a tag number and recalled and replaced with a reliable liquid cooling system. Lots of luck on your endeavor of getting anything done though. I guess I am actually lucky because mine is 15 months old and so far I don't see the problem, but am keeping my eyes on it very close, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

162 Posts

January 10th, 2014 08:00

Hey  KEAPS

I just installed the H80i and  everything is running fine.

But they sent me the wrong  cable lol so I am waiting for tech support to call,

or the wrong fans one of the two.

3 Posts

January 15th, 2014 06:00

Thanks a lot for this thread i had the same problem and cleaning the watercooling made it turn again at 65°C idle temp.

Now i installed a Corsair h80i and so far idle temp is down to 35°C. Indeed i had to remove the graphi card cover to gain a bit of room, the rest of the installation didn't pose any problem so i would recommend this model

I m quite disappointed with alienware on this matter. When i bought a brand that was supposed to be of very high quality i didn't expect to have failures due to poor quality components, and so soon after the warranty is off (1 month after). I'd still recommend alienware as good computers but this leaves a bad aftertaste...

162 Posts

January 15th, 2014 17:00

Arinth

I also bought the H80i and I'm quite satisfied with it.

And just to let you know the cable fit just fine. Underneath the graphics cards , so you don't have to take off the shield.

. I know another person on this blog list her that did the exact same thing.

8 Posts

January 16th, 2014 05:00

Hi Raysz :)

Yes i thought the fans plugs were in a bad format but i finally removed the covers ^^

Glad to hear it works also well for you !

What a long list of upset customers and Dell seems to act if there were absolutely no problem ...

Btw i contacted the french Dell Support and explained the issue. They were ready to change my defective water cooling system but as i've already changed it by a Corsair H80i, they gave me a 10% discount coupon instead...

162 Posts

January 16th, 2014 05:00

Well I am glad that worked out for you a 10% discount is better than nothing.
And yes, there is a lot of angry Dell owners

So just curious if you don't mind me asking how come the cable won't fit under your graphics cards. I'm assuming you have the same computer. I have the R4

No Events found!