Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2013 09:00

Aurora R4 overheating problem SOLVED!!!

I posted few days ago about my  aurora overheating problem but got no real answer... So i decided to find the problem by myself and look what i found ...

My theory was that my pump wasnt working because 1 hose ( the out ) was really getting hot ( almost can't touch it ) and the intake was cold.

So i removed my entire watercooling systems

the inside pump liquid was full no problem here

4722.pump.jpg

The input right side...  no problem

1307.input.jpg

And finaly ... the problem the output of the liquid was complety blocked by that gelly thing

3463.output.jpg

So i cleaned all this with alcool, putted new thermal paste on CPU and here we go [:O]

Before

2388.temp.jpg

After

2818.Temp after.jpg

So i hope this thread will help someome because i did alot of search and found nothing that helped me.

And i got a question for alienware support wasnt the watercooling system was suppose to be maintenance free ??

This look like a bad quality watercooling liquid ! And its not old i bought my comp in june 2012 so warranty ended 1 month ago ...

162 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 16:00

Hey have you been having trouble with your H80i.

I periodically get shut down and I think it has to do with where mines plug-in that I have it plugged into the USB3

that was the only one that was available on my motherboard.

Have you experienced anything like this with yours?

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 19:00

Hey , personnally i've had no problem at all with my h80i (installed it about 10 days ago).

I plugged mine on USB1 as it was the only one free, but imo it doesn't make a difference.

When you present it like that it feels like shutdowns due to high core temp (supposing the problem is coming from the cooling system). So maybe your cooling unit is not working at all? You'll know that better than me?

To check temps you should use something like SpeedFan which is much more reliable than alienware's software at least for me.

Hope that helped.

162 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 21:00

Well I use CPUID HWMonitor

And it doesn't show its overheating so did you tell me in CMOS you turn all the cooling system off is that correct the pump in particular

162 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 21:00

Oh yes sorry to keep bugging you what to do with the rest of the fans did you attach them to your cooling device?

I'm thinking maybe that's my problem the hard drive fan, and the system fan,  and the graphics  fan, are still being controlled by the motherboard are you doing the same thing?

162 Posts

February 14th, 2014 10:00

Hi Arinth hey, I was curious, are you using the Corsair software? And if so, did you uninstall the alien command center. I am finding out the Corsair, an alien command center have a conflict. Just curious on what you might have done

3 Posts

February 14th, 2014 18:00

Hi, i m still with the command center but it's not very reliable and I've just been too lazy to search for another software.

I just put the fans on the SYS slot to be able to turn them down with the software since they used to go way too fast and make a lot of noise.

Anyway i guess if you're reluctant to remove the alien command center it's due to the other functionalities that you would be uninstalling. I have no clue on how to disable only the thermal controls but that would be what i'd try to do.

162 Posts

February 14th, 2014 19:00

Well, for right now. I disabled the Corsair software and things seem to be running better. I'll try switching the fans to the Sys if removing the Corsair software doesn't work so far. The pump is doing the job just fine without the software.

1 Message

February 17th, 2014 09:00

Same thing happend to my R4,  Did that corsair bolt right up with no modification just plug and play?  I have to fix mine and i'm kinda a noob.

162 Posts

February 17th, 2014 10:00

As long as specifications for the Corsair pump matches your computer. My socket is a LGA 2011 by assume that yours is the same. So the answer to your question would be, it mounted just fine with no modification.

3 Posts

February 21st, 2014 03:00

Hello everybody and thanks for the topic. 

Same problem here, but don't know what to choose, the H55, H80i? Or this one from intel? 

BXTS13X intel cooler

Could somebody please take a picture on how the H80i is installed on the Aurora Case?

Someone said a few posts before that the Intel Model fits and is connected the same way as the Asetec Model, this would be great, no? I guess it is also recognized by the AW Thermal software.

What do you think?

8 Posts

February 21st, 2014 04:00

H80i.jpg

h80i_2.jpg

February 27th, 2014 12:00

Had the same exactly problem...only I've been putting up with it since the fall of 2013.  Bought my Aurora R4 in June of 2012 and the CPU starting overheating in the fall of 2013, identical to many people who have posted on these forums. 

Replaced the cooling system with a Corsair H80i and couldn't be happier.  No jet engine system fans going crazy and I can now have a conversation when actually playing a game on Ultra graphic settings.  My CPU cores were really close to overheating too.  This is shameful that such a shoddy part was included in a fairly expensive system back in 2012.  

1 Message

March 14th, 2014 16:00

first and foremost, its obvious their is a serious issue with most if not all Aurora R4 systems cpu coolers.

It is a total shame that Dell has not at the very least sent out a bulletin to all R4 owners warning them of a overheating issue. leaving it to the customer to find this out the hard way is pathetic, especially for these over priced systems stuffed with all these extra bells and whistles that didn't help or warn of this situation one iota.

I can't believe anyone who bought a R4 would ever buy another Dell pc after they finds out how this issue has been handled. Dell should be offering replacement parts at a discount to anyone having this issue regardless of their one year warranty expiration. this seems to be occurring within twelve to fourteen months after purchase, oh how convenient.  my issue started two weeks after my warrant expired. I see the same for many posting here.    

Dell.... own up !

sincerely

Disappointed

445 Posts

March 14th, 2014 17:00

I agree with everything you are saying about the coolers. Dell may not have known about the defect in the beginning, but they sure have known about it for a long time now. Why nothing has been done is a very good question. My guess would be, we got your money so don't bother us.The cooler is not the only low end parts put in these R4 computers. My R4 is now 18 months old and I have not seen the problem a lot of people are having with the cooler at around 12 to 14 months. The only thing I can figure is I don't do a lot of gaming so the processor isn't being pushed all that much. As for buying another Alienware computer, not a chance. I can buy a cheap HP or Gateway computer for one third the price and still get the same cheap parts Alienware uses.

1 Message

March 15th, 2014 14:00

Thank you. It worked for me. I was having fan issues, apparently from over heating. I did just as you instructed, fan is now quieter and temperature is cooler.  Good job!

No Events found!