Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2013 09:00

Aurora R4 overheating problem SOLVED!!!

I posted few days ago about my  aurora overheating problem but got no real answer... So i decided to find the problem by myself and look what i found ...

My theory was that my pump wasnt working because 1 hose ( the out ) was really getting hot ( almost can't touch it ) and the intake was cold.

So i removed my entire watercooling systems

the inside pump liquid was full no problem here

4722.pump.jpg

The input right side...  no problem

1307.input.jpg

And finaly ... the problem the output of the liquid was complety blocked by that gelly thing

3463.output.jpg

So i cleaned all this with alcool, putted new thermal paste on CPU and here we go [:O]

Before

2388.temp.jpg

After

2818.Temp after.jpg

So i hope this thread will help someome because i did alot of search and found nothing that helped me.

And i got a question for alienware support wasnt the watercooling system was suppose to be maintenance free ??

This look like a bad quality watercooling liquid ! And its not old i bought my comp in june 2012 so warranty ended 1 month ago ...

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 16:00

Hey Chris

I followed your advice and dordered the h55.

I noticed however that the power pin for the pump on the h55 is three pins and won't fit the same place as the original (I think it is 7 pins). Where would I have to plug it in? would 'cpu fan' next to 'system fan' be an option?

UPDATE

just installed my H55, system fan is the radiator fan and cpu fan is my pump.

Noticed that the fan/rad screws are very short

Installe deverything as per the manual (rad on inside, fan between rad and case, blowing IN, on the rad)

idle temp you ask?  27°C!!! freaking awesome

Did a thorough check of all the hardware

ran prime 95 and couldn't get the temp above 52°C, without the fan even spinning up

autopsy of the old cooling unit tomorrow

oh, had to cut the wire for the old pump, because it is stuck in the overhead case plug thingy and couldn't get it out, no loss, won't need that anymore

happy camper

150 Posts

March 25th, 2014 05:00

Thank you for doing the work and finding this. My R4 just went out of warranty three weeks ago and now has this issue. I have ordered a Corsair H55 unit, but will be disassembling the cooling unit later today to clean it out. In checking Dell's Alienware ordering options, I note that they now offer a "Premium Liquid Cooling" option as an alternative to the "Standard Liquid Cooling" for an additional $95.00. Interesting. Thanks again.

162 Posts

March 25th, 2014 06:00

Just as a FYI, I chose the h80i only because the two fans are plugged into the cooling unit, so the cooling unit controls the fans. I think that's more efficient. It's been running now for roughly about almost 3 months now and has been keeping my system.cool

2 Posts

March 29th, 2014 01:00

Awesome solution, exactly what my problem was.  Thanks for your post, your a great person for sharing.

March 30th, 2014 18:00

Hello,

When you cleaned the heat seek what did your replace the water after you done cleaning ??

March 30th, 2014 18:00

Hello,

When you cleaned the heat seek what did your replace the water after you done cleaning ?

150 Posts

March 31st, 2014 09:00

I cleaned mine out while awaiting delivery of the Corsair H55. I managed to get it apart and only spilled a small amount of the cooling fluid. Mine was gummed up as shown in the original poster's photos. After cleaning, I chose to use a small amount of distilled water to replace the small amount of liquid lost in the process. It wasn't more than a tablespoon or so. In doing research, there are a lot of opinions floating around about what the best cooling formula is. The most appealing to me was to use distilled water with a couple of drops of "PT Nuke". This is a biocide from an outfit called Petra Technologies. It's available from various places for about $7.00 for a small bottle. Note that I did this while considering keeping the original cooler in my R4. Once the H55 arrived, it was no longer a consideration. I pulled the old one out, installed the H55 using the same bolting hardware and frame off the old unit. I used the old Nidec fan and bolted it onto the radiator in a pull configuration as it was originally installed. I bolted the new fan on the inside of the radiator in a push configuration. I left the Nidec fan plugged into the Sys Fan slot and plugged the pump into the CPU fan slot. I have ordered a Molex to ATX fan connector for the other fan ($2.95 delivered). There will doubtless be other comments about the proper cooling formula, but I would point out that the coolant used smelled of antifreeze, and still sludged up on what was supposed to be a closed, "no maintenance" system. Good luck.

2 Posts

March 31st, 2014 09:00

No, not this time around,  it was still full of fluid, figured it was good to go for awhile again.  I am sure you do not want to use just regular water, I know there is solution you can buy and I plan to order a bottle of that so I have it handy next time I have to clear it out.  Distilled water may work but I will stick with the stuff you can order.

1 Message

March 31st, 2014 23:00

my laptop dell inspiron 3420 is getting same error as yours do you know what to do in this case plz help me
i think your research may help me

my contact are

<ADMIN NOTE: Phone number removed as per privacy policy>

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed as per privacy policy>

16 Posts

April 1st, 2014 15:00

Well, my answer is this: don't use distilled water or osmotic water... I've tried with water and the pump was very rumbly, like the impeller need to be oiled. Since in my garage I found a started bottle of car cooolant i've used it and get excellent result. For people that think that a PC is not under ice and cold climate like a car radiator, I must say that the car coolent have the task to protect, lubrificate, and prevent rust on the coolant circuit, (the coolant i've used is this: Paraflu UP 50% ready to use, not concentrated). The only thing that you must be sure before closing the screw of the pump is to fill evry space and get out bubble from radiator. Now with i7 3820 OC i get 39°C @idle and 72°C @full load Good luck

9 Posts

April 15th, 2014 13:00

The Problem was caused by the use of EXTREMELY Cheap coolant fluid.  If you flush the system with a mix of water and alcohol then refill with a higher grade coolant ( one is mentioned earlier in this thread ) then you will be good to go.

26 Posts

April 15th, 2014 13:00

Looks like this problem is not just only for Aurora but Alienware Area 51 liquid cooling as well. I have been having this problem for quite sometimes now and thanks to @CASS-OLÉ for pointing this out and resolved my problem. However, after one month of use, the problem reoccured and the build up took only a month to happen. I am wondering if mine has gone bad completely and time for a new cooling, eh?

Here I took picture for the build up that happened after a month.

26 Posts

April 15th, 2014 14:00

I was thinking about replacing it with H100i or H80i? will it fit on Area 51 system?

April 21st, 2014 20:00

Thank you so much you just saved me money time and frustration. Worked was super easy now i get a couple extra dollars saved! 

10 Posts

May 1st, 2014 16:00

Hi,

I bought my Aurora R4 desktop almost 2 years already, and

I think I am having the same problem.

I want to which cpu cooler will fit best for Aurora R4?

I am not very experienced in taking apart those fans etc,

If I do have to clean it myself,

Can anyone suggest me the materials I need?
 what kind of thermal paste or things I need to clean in order to be safe.

Thank you very much!!

No Events found!