Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2014 22:00

Aurora R4 startup freezing after fixing cooling pump

I'm desperate for some help I recently followed a thread that have instructions on how to fix a clogged liquid cooling pump and after difficulty got it running again what seemed to be alright, the CPU cores idled about 50ish c after successfully clearing the blockage although bf4 caused it to get up to just short of 100c. Did some testing with temps with regular use then stepped away for about 15 minutes, came back to an off computer, when trying to boot it up again it started up then did a windows config that caused a restart,  at that point I got past bios which warned me of the crash, then bios slowly left the screen much slower then I've ever seen it. After that it try's to load windows but gets stuck at starting windows only getting a small part of the windows icon to actually show. All the while mind you my fan is going fairly loudly just not like it was pre liquid cooler maintenance but still trying to really work, I'm very scared that I've damaged the CPU but it seems like from what I'm reading online if I got to the windows load at all it's still operating.

Specs i know vvv

windows 7 home premium

i7 3820 3.60gh processor

invidia GTX 555

8 gig ram on 4 2 gig sticks

WD xl500m

PLEASE HELP, I've just been following guides and I assumed my running temp I had wouldn't fry the CPU, I already have a corsair h55 on the way to improve cooling which I figured would be best. At this point I just want someone to please diagnose what may be wrong now.

April 23rd, 2014 19:00

Update

Took everything down to CPU apart, all careful to avoid static when handling that CPU so much so it rested in a wooden bowl for the duration of the cleaning. Cleaned any and all used thermal paste using 91% iso alcohol off of the cooling unit, CPU, jaws of the socket, and anywhere else that was touching metal. The socket itself didn't get any direct exposure to the paste so below the CPU was just fine, all pins left in tact and had no discolorations. My cooling pump that I fixed previously got broken down and cleaned a bit more, this time making sure the water in the tank was 100% topped off before sealing it back up.

Then after watching a few videos of people of people doing it I seated the CPU in the socket, reapplied paste in a line about the same amount as the last venture on the CPU first, retightened the liquid cooler over the CPU, and now I'm left just trying not to be scared turning it all back on when it's back together.

Wish me luck, and any words of advice would still be greatly appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 22:00

then bios slowly left the screen much slower then I've ever seen it.

After that it try's to load windows but gets stuck at starting windows only getting a small part of the windows icon to actually show. All the while mind you my fan is going fairly loudly

Sounds like it might be throttling-back ... maybe due to heat.

Did you clean away old and replace themal compound? Do you know how to do it properly?

Did you get it back on there flat, level, and secure?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 23:00

then on my first go with the thermal paste I used far too much

This time ... did it overflow past the chip edge or get down into socket? If it's the conductove kind, this can be very bad. That's why I only use a usually use a good but NON-CONDUCTIVE kind.

Lots of YouTube vids on proper way. Your second try sounds proper.

April 22nd, 2014 23:00

Cleaned away the old compound with an alcohol wipe pad, both sink and CPU, then on my first go with the thermal paste I used far too much so I did it over again with another cleaning, and then application which I read I wanted it as thin and as even as I could make it. Using about a pea sized dot I spread it in a square with a business card until it was quite thinly applied and it at least seemed even, was extremely careful reseating the heat sink as well.

It ran at idle temps averaging 40-50c idling for about 5 hours today, with about an hour or so if bf4 at about 80-90c, and at least from the crashes I'm used to it may have crashed when it went into sleep mode since I was away from it about the amount of time it takes to get there.

April 23rd, 2014 00:00

Insigna branded thermal compound was used, link below vvv m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=3641012&st=thermal%20paste&cp=1&lp=8&pid=1219092666136 The hole on the top right collected some paste that I mostly fished out using the fine tip of a qtip in alcohol that I shaped to fit, beyond that there was some on the sides of the processor and possibly on the MOBO below, I really don't think it was enough to get under the processor.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 19:00

Wish me luck, and any words of advice

Sounds all proper.

Try crossing fingers and check moon. 

Good Luck.

April 24th, 2014 17:00

The well wishing paid off, everything is back to normal 100%.

God damn was that a scary few days!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2014 18:00

everything is back to normal 100%.

Cool. Good work

No Events found!