Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

January 23rd, 2014 05:00

Aurora-R4 wont start, just beeps 5 times

My computer just stopped working, when I try to turn it on all I get is a blank screen and a repeating beep (5 beeps), I looked up troubleshooting online on various forums and all i found is that it is a battery error, I went to the store and bought a new battery and replaced it, and it did not fix the problem, I tried unplugging everything off the computer, and only leaving the power/keyboard/mouse/monitor, no change, and i tried resetting the CMOS password, since I read on a different forum and it was advise to try that, no results.  I need some help troubleshooting. anything will help.

Aurora R4

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 06:00

This morning I turned it on and see the Alienware logo but no progress still can't go into the setup by pressing F2, and all i have left is a blank screen with a flickering under scroll. and I tried turning it of and on by holding the off button 30 sec. It pretty much goes to the five beeps and back to this. please help. 

901 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 06:00

Try disconnecting the power supply, then remove the battery, then hold down the power (on/off) button for 20 seconds.

Reconnect everything and give that a shot.

The 5 beeps error is for your RTC (Real Time Clock) with a bit of luck you can reset it

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 18:00

I did this and I got some progress, I saw the Alienware logo and loading bar then went to an error message" RTC was reset please press F1 for restart , or F2 for setup utility" if i remember it correctly well pressing F1 and F2 did not do anything so I decided to turn it back off again and now I'm back at the blank screen with 5 beeps....

901 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 23:00

Try it again, and this time hit the F2 key when prompted and go into system BIOS, reset the correct time and try to reboot your system

7 Posts

January 24th, 2014 00:00

I tried it multiple times and failed to get back to that error message,  i just have a blank screen with 5 beeps. Any other ideas? anybody?

7 Posts

January 24th, 2014 09:00

OK so i been messing with it all morning, I moved the graphics card because it was blocking the system battery, and i tried resting it by turning the power off the computer removing the power cable, then removing the battery, then starting it and it went to the Alienware logo had half a load bar and froze gave me the F2and F12 option but nothing happened, so i turned it off and put the battery back in then powered it back on, I was finally able to start it but it seems my Ethenet card is not working, its built into the mother board and I tried installing the driver for it from the factory disc but it still wont work, my cpu troubleshooter says the ethernet cable is unplugged, I confirmed it works with this laptop so I think my Ethernet card is done for ... and i get these pop ups.

THERMAL CONTROLLER (pop up)

System.TypelnitializationException: The type initializer for

'AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Classes.ThermalControlsTaskbarcon' threw an exception.--->

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Could not create icon data

At AlienLabs.CommandCenter.Tools.Classes.TaskbarIcon.TaskbarIcon.CreateTaskbarIcon()

At AlienLabs.CommandCenter.Tools.Classes.TaskbarIcon.TaskbarIcon..cctor()

at Alien Labs.ThermalControls.Controller.Classes.ThermalControlsTaskbarIcon..cctor()

---End of inner exception stack trace---

at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main..ctror()

at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.App.AppStartup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs args)

at system.Windows.Aplication.<.ctor>b__1(Object unused)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32numArgs)

at Ms.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

I also got a message that says:

AlienRespawn Update Launcher

AlienRespawn Update Launcher has stopped working

and my pixels are huge

7 Posts

January 24th, 2014 11:00

I got everything fixed the only thing that does not work now is the onboard LAN card.... tried installing new driver, tried everything just keeps saying i don't have the cable plugged in. will keep messing with it. Dell technitian told me over the phone that i needed a new mother board, well if its just the LAN that does not work i rather go buy a LAN card they are pretty cheap now days.

2 Posts

March 6th, 2015 06:00

If this happens again to you, simply swap your video card with another (if you don't own another go buy the cheapest one you can $30-$40) . The system will then boot to windows np, shut down then put your old vid card back. System will boot fine, this is not a rtc issue this isn't a bios issue, the issue is that the voltage was never set correctly on the R4's (they will never admit to this, and tell you that you need to update your bios...the bios they recommend will blow your motherboard.

No Events found!