1. However, for me ... it's like we were saying with video drivers ... once we find a working one. I tend to keep the dependable, reliable, working one for a while. Especially with something like a disk driver. If my OS or dev projects code started getting corrupted due to buggy r/w, that would be especially bad for me.
2. Thanks to Dell, I am now running my 16gb of ram memory in Dual-Channel Mode finally.
3. I sent you a PM.
1. ah okay then. i didn't know you need the machine for work. in that case i wouldn't mess with it either. my AW PC is only for gaming. thats why i don't mind to test new stuff. last weekend, as you know, i installed new FW and Drivers for my M2 SSD. but it was necessary.
well maybe you'll need the Drivers one day.
2. i can't understand why people complain about Dell Support. i called them last week and ordered some parts. usually they don't sell them. atleast not in Germany, but they made an exception for me. the key is beeing nice i guess.
3. yes. i noticed.
Carbon Based Lifeform wrote:
last weekend, as you know, i installed new FW and Drivers for my M2 SSD. but it was necessary.
If PCIe/NVMe, what are you getting in Crystal Disk-Mark now?
now that you mention it.... i should check when i get home.
Done. nothing changed. everything almost the same.
Now this is more like it.
During this whole period, Aurora-R6 was subjected to heavy usage. This includes long multi-hour Fallout-4 and FarCry-3 gaming sessions, general productivity applications, and even some stress testing.
and OCCT Power-Supply Test (whole machine)
Alienware Aurora (R6)
Intel i7-7700k 4.2ghz
Liquid Cooling - Intel z270 Chipset - VRM HeatSink
16gb DDR4 Hyper-X Fury 2667mhz Ram (Dual-Channel)
850w Power Supply (now N1WJD Delta-model)
Nvidia GTX-1070 OEM (8gb)
Samsung PM-961 512gb SSD (M.2 PCIe NVMe)
Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD & DVD Burner
Killer Networks e2400 Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45
Intel 3165 802.11ac Wi-Fi & Bluetooth v4.2
Dell 27" u2717D UltraSharp Infinity-Edge IPS 16:9 QHD Monitor
Logitech G110 Keyboard and G500 Mouse
Plantronics GameCom 780 USB Headset
Dell AE415 2.1 Speakers
APC Back-UPS XS-1500 (BX1500g)
Windows-10 Pro (64-bit)
I installed Creators Update the other day.
It worked fine. Creators version now correctly shows as v.1703 (instead of v.1607 which was last year's Anniversary Update).
I did have a little problem with Thermal Controller, so I would suggest you exit it (the System-Tray icon) before allowing the upgrade to start. The Thermal Controller will auto-start again after a reboot (and work fine).
According to the Reliability Monitor report, I noticed all drivers (and I think Modern/Universal Apps) seemed to get inventoried, and re-installed (migrated) during upgrade.
The Aurora-R6 is still working fine in use ... even Alienware Command Center v4.6.20.
The fan bearing went-out on my Huntkey-made 850w Power-Supply.
Dell sent me a Delta-made 850w Power-Supply the other day to replace it. The Aurora-R6 is back to 100% working order.
Installed BIOS v1.0.4 and after it finished, tested computer and Windows.
Downloaded each in Windows. Ran from Windows but computer reboots and installs from UEFI BIOS (which is good and correct).
A few more strange reboots later and then it's installed completely.
Then I did BIOS v1.0.5 the same way.
v1.0.5 seems to mess with a few minor BIOS settings a bit. I switched them back. Probably a good idea to take pics or otherwise record BIOS settings first.
The other day, my wife was using Edge browser on the Aurora-R6 and asked "is the Internet working for you"? Mine was fine but her's was real slow. Reboot didn't help. I checked ethernet cables, desktop-ethernet-switch, router, etc. Packet-loss is a good description. She started playing World-of-Warcraft again online and it strangely appeared fine.
mattww3 mentioned a similar problem with his new Aurora-R7:
The killer drivers had to be installed directly from Killer website. Both Dell and MS had older drivers at the time. Had at least 60%+ WiFI packet loss until BIOS/Chipset + killer update.
So, I updated the on-board "Killer Networks e2400 Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45" wired-ethernet driver from Device Manager. Driver changed from older Microsoft to much newer Rivet. Windows update is on common Consumer branch, so it's lame we have to do this. Seems to have fixed it. Generally, I hate Rivet/Killer but I had no choice with this purchase (since it's build-into the motherboard). I also stay away from their "heavy and invasive" driver suite ... I just run the core driver.
This is the first problem I've had with it. I think it might have started with recent Windows-10 update. If it crops-up again, I might just so with original plan which was to disable it and install a working PCIe gigabit ethernet card.