Highlighted
ttchastain52
1 Copper

Aurora R6 fan issue

Team,

Brand new Aurora R6 Desktop fan constantly cycling up/down. sounds like breathing. Starts on cold start up as well as after coming back after PC has been idle for a while with screensaver on. I have programs running in the background all the time when I'm not actively using the PC.

Any suggestions before i call tech support?

Thanks, Troy

0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: Aurora R6 fan issue

Hi ttchastain52‌,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date here.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Be sure your Thermal Controller is set to "Start with Windows" so it runs in System-Tray always.

Set Thermal Controller to Manual Control.

Setup an uphill Curve for each fan, and experiment with sensors. I just set both to use CPU-Sensor.

Apply/Save the Profile.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

So, did my suggestions help?

Others searching later might want to know.

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Gatoybeans
1 Copper

Hi I'm having issues with my Aurora R6 and I have a similar problem like him, I decided to update some driver and the bios and now all of a sudden when I'm not using my PC the fans will go into full blast out of nowhere and shut down my display and it sounds like a jet engine! I have to forcefully shut down my PC and I found this on the internet and I'm following your recommendations and I want to see if it will fix my problem. Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
tktnuri
1 Nickel

What processor do you have? I had an i3 in mine and after I installed a 6700k I had a similar issue. Do you have the stock heatsink or liquid cooled? I too had to set fans on manual and it still is loud up until ACC startsup (about 3-4 minutes).

I am looking to swap in a liquid cooler by next week.  

Dell

Studio XPS 435MT Intel i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz cpu 58* idle / 68* load  6GB DDR3 1033 512MB ATI 4670 500GB, 1.5TB Serial ATA
LG BRD-R 6x, SONY 18X DVDR Dell 2408 1920x1200 Display HDMI

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Hopefully, you made the changes I posted above.

Be sure to Save/Apply the Profile.

Other Settings we have found helpful (in past threads if your search) are to:
- UnCheck all Quick-View Monitors (you do that with System-Tray icons)

- Set Inactivity Timer to "Never go Inactive"

On my Aurora-R6, my fans never uncontrollably spin-up near 100% or loud ... not even as I turn on computer or around BIOS-Post time. Definitely not during main Windows boot-up. You also might want to verify it's not just the video-card or GPU fan you hear.

0 Kudos
Gatoybeans
1 Copper

Ok I was wondering how you can uncheck Quickview Monitor and how to set inactivity timer? Also is there anything else that could maybe help prevent it from overheating or repeating? Should I invest into a liquid cooler like the guy below or just get Alienware to fix it?

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Gatoybeans wrote:

1. Should I invest into a liquid cooler like the guy below

2. or just get Alienware to fix it?

1. Due to the way the Aurora R5-R6 are built (with the Power-Supply placed over the CPU) ... yes, a liquid cooler is better because it removes the heat from the case by the radiator, directly out the top. It also works more efficiently than a fanned-cooler. These are the reasons I always suggest owners get one pre-installed when they buy the system. Getting both the (Asetek made) Liquid-Cooler and 850w modular Power-Supply for $150 upgrade cost is a good deal in my book.

2. If you currently have a Dell extended warranty, I suggest you use it.

0 Kudos
Chicken-Feet
1 Nickel

Hi Tesla1856, When you said Uphill curve this means which ratio Fan Speed/Temperature worked fine for you?

My processor temps are always (no matter the workload) between 39°-50°C (102°-122°F), which seems tooo high...

thanks for your help in advance. 

0 Kudos