Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 14th, 2017 08:00

Aurora R6 fan issue

Team,

Brand new Aurora R6 Desktop fan constantly cycling up/down. sounds like breathing. Starts on cold start up as well as after coming back after PC has been idle for a while with screensaver on. I have programs running in the background all the time when I'm not actively using the PC.

Any suggestions before i call tech support?

Thanks, Troy

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 15th, 2017 08:00

Hi ttchastain52‌,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date here.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 19th, 2017 11:00

Be sure your Thermal Controller is set to "Start with Windows" so it runs in System-Tray always.

Set Thermal Controller to Manual Control.

Setup an uphill Curve for each fan, and experiment with sensors. I just set both to use CPU-Sensor.

Apply/Save the Profile.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 21st, 2017 15:00

So, did my suggestions help?

Others searching later might want to know.

2 Posts

May 24th, 2017 04:00

Hi I'm having issues with my Aurora R6 and I have a similar problem like him, I decided to update some driver and the bios and now all of a sudden when I'm not using my PC the fans will go into full blast out of nowhere and shut down my display and it sounds like a jet engine! I have to forcefully shut down my PC and I found this on the internet and I'm following your recommendations and I want to see if it will fix my problem. Any suggestions? 

35 Posts

May 24th, 2017 06:00

What processor do you have? I had an i3 in mine and after I installed a 6700k I had a similar issue. Do you have the stock heatsink or liquid cooled? I too had to set fans on manual and it still is loud up until ACC startsup (about 3-4 minutes).

I am looking to swap in a liquid cooler by next week.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 24th, 2017 10:00

Hopefully, you made the changes I posted above.

Be sure to Save/Apply the Profile.

Other Settings we have found helpful (in past threads if your search) are to:
- UnCheck all Quick-View Monitors (you do that with System-Tray icons)

- Set Inactivity Timer to "Never go Inactive"

On my Aurora-R6, my fans never uncontrollably spin-up near 100% or loud ... not even as I turn on computer or around BIOS-Post time. Definitely not during main Windows boot-up. You also might want to verify it's not just the video-card or GPU fan you hear.

2 Posts

May 25th, 2017 04:00

Ok I was wondering how you can uncheck Quickview Monitor and how to set inactivity timer? Also is there anything else that could maybe help prevent it from overheating or repeating? Should I invest into a liquid cooler like the guy below or just get Alienware to fix it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 25th, 2017 08:00

Gatoybeans wrote:

1. Should I invest into a liquid cooler like the guy below

2. or just get Alienware to fix it?

1. Due to the way the Aurora R5-R6 are built (with the Power-Supply placed over the CPU) ... yes, a liquid cooler is better because it removes the heat from the case by the radiator, directly out the top. It also works more efficiently than a fanned-cooler. These are the reasons I always suggest owners get one pre-installed when they buy the system. Getting both the (Asetek made) Liquid-Cooler and 850w modular Power-Supply for $150 upgrade cost is a good deal in my book.

2. If you currently have a Dell extended warranty, I suggest you use it.

June 9th, 2017 21:00

Hi Tesla1856, When you said Uphill curve this means which ratio Fan Speed/Temperature worked fine for you?

My processor temps are always (no matter the workload) between 39°-50°C (102°-122°F), which seems tooo high...

thanks for your help in advance. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 10th, 2017 09:00

chicken-feet wrote:

1. When you said Uphill curve this means which ratio Fan Speed/Temperature worked fine for you?

2. My processor temps are always (no matter the workload) between 39°-50°C (102°-122°F), which seems tooo high...

thanks for your help in advance. 

1. Ratio? Manual, then Curve. From left (0) to right (100) up-hill. CPU-Sensor

2. Sounds fine to me. 

If fans get loud, first ... be sure it's not the Power Supply fan on video-card's fan.

June 12th, 2017 10:00

Hi Thanks for taking the time.

1. Still i like to ask in which position you place the little red dot? as you see in curve if you leave it straight then you have pretty much the same effect as the fixed position... that is why i asked for ratio (Fan speed 50% to Temp 50% f.e.).

2. Fans are super loud i am talking about the Front and top... but they rarely turn on while on automatic temp control. Now the Power Supply unit (for which i dont see controls) gets crazy loud (so much i need earphones to listen to music) when i run, say, video editing software.

I tried the CAM software and seems that while running heavy programs the temp displayed in thermal controls is 10° higher than in CAM....

Anyways, if you have heard of any way to handle this temperature better let me know... has alienware said anything?

Thanks.

No Events found!