Chryssalyn
2 Bronze

Aurora and the lights

No matter what I do, I cannot get the side panel lights to stop flashing. Sometimes it's purple, sometimes it's red. It seems completely random. All my light colors are set to black in the command center and are supposed to stay black at all times. I even have fusion always set on go dark. I've done the command center updates, yet this problem persists. How can I get these lights to just stay off?

Also, is this flashing indicative of some kind of hardware problem other than the lights, like the way a system would beep if there was an overheating issue or something like that?

I've already checked for the 'unknown USB device' issue - there is none.

Please, unless this is some kind of 'hardware warning', tell me how to get these lights to just stay dark?

I have a regular Aurora, purchased in Dec. 2009.

Alienware Aurora i7 920 2.67GHz
Bios version A11
CC version 2.5.35
Windows 7 x64
GEForce 260
Realtek High Def. Audio
USB Devices: Logitech headset, Lexmark printer

0 Kudos
11 Replies
jwtimpe
1 Copper

Re: Aurora and the lights

I have a very similar issue. Received my Aurora today and I have zone 3 set to green, but it flickers to teal every 10 seconds or so.  As this is the zone on the removeable panel, I assume it has something to do with the communication through the pins there?

0 Kudos
Chryssalyn
2 Bronze

I don't know, but I've been trying to get an answer to this for months with no luck at all. Mine happens with zone 3 also, but it isn't that frequent. It's completely random - sometimes several times in a few minute span, then it will go hours without doing it again. It's also two different colors, though purple seems to happen more often than red.

While my goal is to get it stopped entirely, I'd at least like to know whether it's something I should be concerned with, or just a nuisance.

Bios version A11
CC version 2.5.35
Windows 7 x64
GEForce 260
Realtek High Def. Audio

0 Kudos
Chryssalyn
2 Bronze

Is there no one that can even answer whether this random flashing light problem is indicative of some other hardware problem? I'd really like to know if it's warning me of some type of imminent failure, at the very least.

Bios version A11
CC version 2.5.35
Windows 7 x64
GEForce 260
Realtek High Def. Audio

0 Kudos
Yodasmaster
3 Argentium

No one knows. I've had the same problem since I first got it and recently the lights would stop working on startup and the fans have been roaring at full blast.

0 Kudos
Chryssalyn
2 Bronze

I haven't had the fan issue, although there is this strange sort of - I don't know - humming kind of sound? Not like a 60 cycle hum, but just this odd, medium pitched hum. I assume it's the fan or liquid cooling motor. I didn't buy an Alienware for all the 'flash' - I just wanted good, stable, high-end equipment. I know a lot of people like the flashy stuff, but if it doesn't even work properly, what's the point? I'd just uninstall/turn off the whole command center, but I assume that would cause the thermal stuff not to function properly at all.

Would really be nice if Dell would get us some answers on this stuff. We pay a lot of money for these machines, and I feel like I may as well have bought some junker.

Bios version A11
CC version 2.5.35
Windows 7 x64
GEForce 260
Realtek High Def. Audio

0 Kudos

It is not a hardware problem. Check your private message.

0 Kudos
Chryssalyn
2 Bronze

Thanks Chris for getting back to me. I have to admit, I'm hesitant to mess with installing new BIOS if it is just a nuisance problem and not indicative of a bigger issue.

Bios version A11
CC version 2.5.35
Windows 7 x64
GEForce 260
Realtek High Def. Audio

0 Kudos
hairbautt
3 Argentium

I have this same exact issue too. Random blue flashes.

Is there a fix to this?

0 Kudos
CraSHcr
2 Iron

Well, I have the same exact issue. I can add a humming kind of sound every 20 minutes and after that a solid click sound(Don't know how to describe) like something just get broken.

Model: Alienware Aurora (AO9)
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 3.66GHz(Overclocked)
Hard Drive: 2TB WD Black + 600GB WD Green - SATA2 HDD
Memory: 6GB Triple-Channel 1333MHz DDR3
Graphic: GeForce 260 GTX 1.8GB
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Mouse: Alienware TactX
Keyboard: Alienware TactX
Alienware TactX Headset

0 Kudos