Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2010 09:00

Aurora arrives today....drivers all current?

Just curious if when the machine is packaged does it contain all the latest drivers or will I have to update them via the dell downloads?

372 Posts

October 27th, 2010 11:00

Expect to update where needed.  Especially window drivers.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 27th, 2010 14:00

figured id have to do windows updates..but, an optional update for the ATI 5870 i have installed appears in the windows update results, should i just ignore this update and update only from the dell site?

Yes, ignore it.

It's better to get hardware drivers from the builder's or manufacturer's website.

34 Posts

October 27th, 2010 14:00

figured id have to do windows updates..but, an optional update for the ATI 5870 i have installed appears in the windows update results, should i just ignore this update and update only from the dell site?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 27th, 2010 15:00

ok will do..........what about the creative driver/updates for the extreme audio card, is this ok to update direct from creative?

You have to do your normal (critical and/or security) Windows Updates for the OS. If you are a gamer (or are experiencing problems with existing video drivers) it's a good idea to keep your video drivers up to date (at least within the last 2-3 months/releases or so).

When you start getting into sound-cards, ethernet cards, and that sort or hardware ... I personally think the saying "If it's not broken, don't fix it" comes into play. As Mark said above "as needed" . There is always a chance you will run into problems while updating drivers ... so it helps if there is a reason to start the project in the first place.

As for your specific question about the dedicated Creative sound card and it's drivers ... I don't have one now (or have used one in years) so someone else will have to answer.

34 Posts

October 27th, 2010 15:00

ok will do..........what about the creative driver/updates for the extreme audio card, is this ok to update direct from creative?

13 Posts

October 30th, 2010 10:00

Hello PARANORMAL!

I have had a Creative XFI for the past 3 yrs. You should download the Creative software suggested on Windows Update... It is the Creative software updater for your Creative hardware. It is the same updater you can download from Creative's website. It is important IMHO to have the latest sound drivers for your sound card especially if you plan to play games on your computer. So go for it......You will not regret it!!!!!

No Events found!