Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2015 11:00

Aurora r3 compatibility to AMD r9 390

I am attempting to upgrade to a new AMD r9 390 from a AMD 6950. My computer info is listed below:

MOBO - Alienware 046MHW (no integrated graphics)

BIOS - A06

CPU - i7 2600

PSU - 875W

My issues is that when I installed the new GPU, my computer will turn on but there will be nothing but a black screen. No beep. Fans running and the GPU is lit up. No BIOS screen or nothing. My monitor remains in sleep mode. If I re-install the AMD 6950, I have no issues. Computer starts up normally. 

I did a clean install of windows and also made sure to uninstall all driver and AMD software.

Can someone help? 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 8th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

We did not validate the AMD R9 390 as a graphics card upgrade option for the Alienware Aurora R3 system. Therefore, we cannot confirm if it will function properly with this unit. Some users have had success with non-validated cards. You could also try posting on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena forums for assistance.

3 Posts

March 19th, 2016 00:00

Hi,

I also have an R3 and have got a new Asus R9 390 which isn't working. Did you manage to get it working in the end? If so how?

Thanks

Jamie

3 Posts

March 21st, 2016 12:00

FYI, if anyone is still working on a solution for this, I have found one.

The MSI 390x will not work with the Aurora R3. You will need to use the Sapphire 390x with the legacy bios button activated. These are the only two that I have tried, but I can tell you that the Sapphire 100% works, the MSI will not work. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 21st, 2016 12:00

FYI, if anyone is still working on a solution for this, I have found one.

The MSI 390x will not work with the Aurora R3. You will need to use the Sapphire 390x with the legacy bios button activated. These are the only two that I have tried, but I can tell you that the Sapphire 100% works, the MSI will not work. 

Thanks for the posting of your solution. Hopefully, Aurora-R3 owners will find this later if they search forum.
That is what I keeping telling Aurora-R3 users. They must use a video card with Hybrid BIOS, Dual BIOS switch (Legacy and UEFI), etc.

3 Posts

March 21st, 2016 16:00

I wish I had seen that, I did quite a bit of searching, only found one other person that had success with the 390x and he had the same situation as me, purchasing the MSI and having it not work, then ending up with the Sapphire. All of the other threads I read had people trying different methods with no success. I tried to go back and reply to as many of those threads as I could find to help people that had my same issue.

31 Posts

May 7th, 2016 05:00

I have an AMD radeon r9 390 sapphire.

It works so well!

June 8th, 2016 18:00

I recently bought a r9 380x from sapphire and switched the dual bios switch and it worked on my aurora r3.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2016 05:00

I have a Sapphire R9 390 and Aurora R3 which works fine. I suspect I have the 575w PSU. Don't make the same mistake I did which took me ages to solve. Don't use the R16 and R17 power plugs as they don't power the GPU (I think they only work for 875w PSU's in the R3)

No Events found!