Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

July 27th, 2017 19:00

Aurora r6. Open air or blower style gtx 1070? Which is better. Im not liquid cooled.

I have a aurora r6 that I am buying a gpu.  Wanting to get a 1080.  Which should I get. Open air or blower style?  I'm not liquid cooled and I am also upgrade the front and top fans.

10 Posts

July 28th, 2017 06:00

No one?

July 28th, 2017 06:00

i don't have your Model but i'll respond anyway since no one else does.

both Types have Pros and Cons.

Blower Style: Pro = Cooler Case Ambient Temp. Con = GPU runs around 80 - 83 °C.

Open Air: Pro = GPU runs under 80 °C (good Card), Con = Case Ambient Temp is higher.

if you decide to go with Blower Style GPU then get the Founders Edition and not something like MSI Aero or Asus Turbo loud Plastic Cooler Trash.

if you decide to go with Open Air Card then figure out how much Space you have and see if you can install MSI Gaming X or Gigabyte Gaming. i have Asus GTX 1080 Advanced at Home right now. big Card but great Cooler. runs  HTC Vive Games like a Champ.

10 Posts

July 28th, 2017 10:00

I plan on getting a gigabyte g1. But the front fan has to be replaced with a thinner version for it to fit.  Maybe I can add another fan somewhere else to support the smaller one.

July 28th, 2017 12:00

are you sure about it? not that the Card is choking because of missing Airflow later.

10 Posts

July 28th, 2017 16:00

Sure about what?

July 28th, 2017 16:00

about thinner Fan.

NVM. i'm sure you'll figure it out.

10 Posts

July 28th, 2017 17:00

Oh yeah I see what you are saying.  But with the card I'm getting it will be a snug fit between the front fan and the card.  I was thinking even if I have to run it fast (a thin fan) some of the air will have room to get to the top.  Also I am upgrading the top fan to the top of the line noctua.  Hoping it will work out for me.  I take criticism good man.  Spill your opinion.

July 29th, 2017 03:00

Good Morning.

yeah no. the Idea isn't bad actually. i'm just not sure if a Slim Fan (and maybe another one) is good enough for the Gigabyte Card. in the End you might loose the GPU Cooler Temperature  Bonus + end up having even higher Case Temp. maybe buy the Card somewhere with a good Return Policy and return the Card if you have too high Temps later.

10 Posts

July 29th, 2017 09:00

Yeah I am

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 29th, 2017 10:00

I think both kinds work OK. I think they had to move to Open to provide more fans (for enhanced coolers) and because back of some cards are filled with video ports (little room for air to be exhausted).

You need a nice PowerSupply (around 750w to 850w) to handle GTX-1080 or better. You don't want to run-out of 12v on Rail, and also don't want PS running anywhere near 90-100% output all the time.

Personally, I would keep whatever video card you originally got for now, and instead do the liquid-cooler upgrade first. 

10 Posts

July 29th, 2017 14:00

I have the 1060 6gb right now and it doesn't do it for me.  Plus I am not a fan of liquid cooling.  Also I just purchased a evga 850w power supply i am waiting to come in.  Plus I ordered the Corsair ML120 PRO for the exhaust fan and the CoolerMaster XtraFlo 120 Series Slim that i am going to try in the front fan space.  Going to try and keep the stock fan but I will only have 1.5 mm between it and the gpu when I install it.  I really feel like that should be efficient enough even if I do have to ramp the speeds up.  Its loud in the room I am in so I don't think fan noise will be a issue.  Down the road I am going to get a I7-7700k or a I5-7600k and delid it so I have read a air cooler will keep it cool.  I dont plan on overclocking it.  The 4.2 or 4.5 ghz will be plenty for me.  The only reason I am doing all of these upgrades is because it was so much cheaper to buy the base aurora r6.  Buy the upgrades I want and sell the things I replace.  instead of paying 2500.00 for a pre-built rig.  I will only have spent 1800 for everything I want.  Stock gpu's are going for a premium used because they are selling out everywhere because of all this mining stuff.  So I feel like I cant lose by saving all that money.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 30th, 2017 10:00

Sounds like you are well on your way.

Not sure why you are against Liquid-Cooling
1. Intel sells/bundles their Retail Processors with sealed LQ, not fans these days

2. With the Power-Supply arrangement, LQ is really best in Aurora R5/R6 case.

And not that "your way" is wrong. It's fine. You can do whatever you want. However, for others searching ...

IMO, it's better to buy machine with core-components you want, and leave upgrades for things like drives, memory, and video card. Order machine with 850w Power Supply, Liquid-Cooler, and the Intel i7 you want. The higher Aurora-R6 configs have better (and real) Instant discounts. Also, buy on the month that Dell is discounting Alienware and not the alternate XPS. Basically, you get the better stuff for free or cheap. If you can wait 45 days for your speakers or whatever, use your Advantage Rewards to buy them.

July 30th, 2017 11:00

looks like a great Plan.

Delid is Legit. Temperature Drop (atleast 10 °C) is guaranteed. very nice if you have  a small Case. i did it with the 6700K CPU in a MiniITX Raven Z Case. amazing Temps with a tiny CPU Cooler.

i hate this Mining Stuff. can't wait until the Mining Bubble bursts. alot of cheap Cards will show up on Ebay....

No Events found!