Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2013 12:00

BEWARE - MS Option update

Just yesterday I received an optional update from MS Update. I have my updates set to manual. I never let them automatically download or install. It gave me the following....NVidia-graphics adapter wddm 1.1, graphics adapter wddm 1.2, other hardware-Nvidia Geforce GTX 295. Of course I was skeptical as I am running the latest Nvidia driver. I first did an ACRONIS full back-up. Then I installed the update which resulted in a wonderful unrecoverable BLUE SCREEN. Restore did not work. Acronis saved me from a nightmare. 15-20 minutes later I was back in business. But, if you don't have Aconis, go into safe mode and reinstall the Nvidia drivers as the update does something to the cards ability to allow you to boot to the desktop. It also corrupted a USB thumb drive, but of course Aconis saved me.....My Acronis back-ups are stored on a separate internal HD and periodically copied to an external drive. Obsessive, I know...but effective. Beware this update. Good luck everyone.

159 Posts

August 27th, 2013 10:00

Interesting....yesterday, I received another MS optional update "Broadcom Corporation Bluetooth Controller - Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module". Even more skeptical that previous, I first did an Aconis complete back-up and then installed the update. This update caused the bluetooth software/driver to reinstall on every restart or shutdown. So, I recovered using Acronis. I now have two very recent optional updates "hidden". Is it just me? for some reason getting all these optional/dysfunctional updates or has anyone else been getting these sent to them?

August 28th, 2013 14:00

Rich Dewees, thanks for sharing your experience with these updates. We recommend not to install updates from MS unless they are “Critical” updates. If you whish to update a driver you can manually do it through our website.

763 Posts

August 29th, 2013 06:00

I have MS Updates completely disabled. Sometimes they will sneak in an installation even when you have it set to only notify you and the setting can somehow get flipped back to automatically install them.

I have had Windows 7 and Windows 8 installations destroyed multiple times by automatic MS Updates in the last couple of years. I find it is much better to manually check once in a while to see if there is something extremely urgent that needs to be installed and skip everything else. When there is something extremely urgent that needs to be patched, you will generally see it being talked about in tech articles and forums. 

Here's a Microsoft TechNet article on the subject: Configure Automatic Updates using Registry Editor

Based on the TechNet article, below is a registry tweak to disable the "feature" in Windows so you can assume absolute control of MS Updates on your system. Copy/paste the text below into a NotePad file and save it with a .REG extension. Double-click the new file to make the registry changes and shut it off for good. Or, use the information to make those tweaks using Regedit. [Credit goes to AdamMallinson for sharing this with me.]

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate] "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] "NoWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication] "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate] "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU] "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

No Events found!