Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2014 22:00

BIOS Update Failure - Now it won't even startup

Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate it if I can get some help on this.
It's X51-R1 and it uses i5-3330 quad core, and I just bought a new 330w PSU from Dell to support my new GPU.

I listed exactly what I did step by step so it's easy to follow. 

1)      Installed my new GPU which is EVGA GTX 660 FTW (overclocked)

2)      Computer made constant two beeps and wouldn’t start, so I reseated my two RAM sticks and it started fine afterwards (yay!)

3)      I was playing games, but the computer kept shutting down and rebooting after about 5 to 10min of gameplay

4)      I thought maybe it was because I had an old BIOS, so I went on the dell website, put in my service tag, and found the appropriate bios update (A14 I believe)

5)      After I dled the bios update, I clicked install, and it failed near the end. This made my computer shut down again,  and it again made constant two beeps and wouldn’t start

6)      I reseated my RAM sticks again, but it didn’t fix the problem this time

I think from what I've researched, R1s can't handle gtx 660s overclocked, so I'll either have to lower the clockspeed or replace it. However, the bigger problem is the bios thing. I tried to reset cmos by moving the jumper from 2-3 to 1-2, and back again. However, it did not change anything, and my computer still just beeps twice every few seconds without showing anything on screen.

PLEASE help, I was all excited for Titanfall and invested a lot into this comp, but now it doesn't even work... THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP

77 Posts

March 11th, 2014 22:00

Try to install your old gpu. 

Then, turn it ON.

4 Posts

March 11th, 2014 23:00

I just did, it didn't make any difference

Still just two beeps even though the power is on and fans are running

1.8K Posts

March 12th, 2014 11:00

Hello!

The 2 beeps indicate a RAM failure. Please send me a PM with your Service Tag and the link to this thread so I can review your case further. 

4 Posts

March 12th, 2014 16:00

Hi Naomi!

I sent you a friend invite with a message because I don't think the PMs are working at the moment (I can't seem to put down the recipient's name)

Also as an update, I just got my new 2x 8GB corsair vengeance RAMs, but I don't want to put it in just in case it gets fried somehow (i don't know too much about computers)

Thanks for any help

4 Posts

March 12th, 2014 20:00

still looking for help

77 Posts

March 12th, 2014 21:00

try to put only 1 memory card. (new corsair).

Then, turn your laptop ON.

Observed.

48 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 05:00

Was there any fix for this?

215 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 09:00

Based on Newegg, the EVGA 660 FTW needs a minimum of 450 W power supply.   330 W is not enough to support it. 

I would take it out, update the BIOS once again and then add the old video card.  You will need a 450 W Power Supply to make the EVGA 660 work. 

No Events found!