Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

July 20th, 2015 09:00

Battery Charging Alienware 18

I am having a problem with my AC charger. Either the charger end is not working properly or the post on the computer end has become faulty. I have to sometimes hold the AC end in the computer and put sideways pressure on it to enable it to charge. If I don't it goes in and out of charging and runs on battery power along with the associated messages. I have never had a problem on my older vostro or studio with the AC charger, they are still working good.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 21st, 2015 13:00

Hello, 

If you have to hold the AC adapter end a certain way for the system to even recognize it, this could be more a hardware problem. When you have it plugged, does the end feel loose like it could fall off?

July 21st, 2015 19:00

It does not feel it will fall off, maybe more like fall out. it will rock back and forth as if it is very loose. My much older Vostro 1720 is even looser, it rocks back and forth lots but is snugger while inserting and never a problem.

Its getting even worse, I am having a much harder time keeping it charged now.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 22nd, 2015 09:00

Thank you for explaining this. It does sound like a hardware problem with the port. If your system is still in warranty, please send me a PM with your service tag so I can further assist you. 

July 23rd, 2015 06:00

Thank you, yes it is under warranty until 2016. It was getting so bad I phoned in and have a service tag, just got an email and parts were shipped and am awaiting a service tech.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2015 08:00

You're welcome. Let me know if you need further assistance. 

No Events found!