Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2010 10:00

Better Alienware Aurora graphics card.

im planning on ordering an Alienware Aurora desktop soon, an im trying to decide on which graphics card i want.  This is my system so far.

Intel® Core™ i7 960 (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache)
  Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
  1 Year Basic Service Plan
  Single 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295
  9GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3
  1TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD

i dont really want to get into Cross fire or SLI, but is the Geforce GTX 295 a good fit for my system?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 8th, 2010 14:00

See this for single video card. See this for SLI/CrossfireX.

58 Posts

March 8th, 2010 16:00

See this for single video card. See this for SLI/CrossfireX.

Chris,

Is it possible to run more than 2 monitors (3 or 4) with Dual cards in an SLI or Crossfire configuration?  Both the 295 and 5770/5870/5970 have multiple ports.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 9th, 2010 09:00

Sure. Just disable SLI or CrossfireX and remove the bridge. Then all the ports can be configured.

58 Posts

March 9th, 2010 10:00

Sure. Just disable SLI or CrossfireX and remove the bridge. Then all the ports can be configured.

Where is that disabled?  In the OS or in the controller configuration?

How many monitors can be configured in a Dual 5870 w/ CrossfireX enabled configuration?  I'm assuming 3, which is the max on a single card?

Tech Support tells me that Dual 5870's w/ CrossfireX enabled can support a total of four (4) monitors ... but I just don't see how that is possible.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 9th, 2010 11:00

Where is that disabled?  In the OS or in the controller configuration?
* In the video card control panel

How many monitors can be configured in a Dual 5870 w/ CrossfireX enabled configuration?
* In a normal CrossfireX mode, you can only use 1 of the 4 ports, so one monitor. The only exception is to enable CrossfireX and SurroundView to use two monitors

Tech Support tells me that Dual 5870's w/ CrossfireX enabled can support a total of four (4) monitors. But I just don't see how that is possible.
* If CrossfireX enabled, you only get one active port. To get access to all four ports, disable CrossfireX

58 Posts

March 9th, 2010 11:00

Thanks Chris!  I'll give this a shot!

58 Posts

March 9th, 2010 13:00

It's a shame you can't put a 1Kw power supply in the Aurora to support dual 5970's.

49 Posts

March 9th, 2010 13:00

I spent alot of time looking at graphics cards.  First if you go SLI you should know that you may not be able to order a sound board with it on the Aurora (especially the double slot cards like the gtx 260.)  Reviews on the 295 are quite positive but many think it is very loud, consumes alot of power and generates lots of heat (many of reviews on Internet to research).  Though I remember one here suggested it was very quiet.  I find the Nvidia stuff pretty outdated/stale.  The 295 for example is over a year old.  You can go instead with the ATI 5870 which is newer tech, runs DirectX 11 and is a single core solution opposed to the dual core, noiser 295 and much cheaper and less power hungry.  And the benchmarks come close to the 295.   The gtx 260 from nvidia is the next step down and is considerably slower than the other two cards and even older.  I say go with the 5870 (which is what I chose).....all IMHO of course.

75 Posts

March 9th, 2010 14:00

I had a similiar situation with my system locking up when I tried adding a third GTX 285 to my Area 51. My solution was to add a Visiontek auxiliary 450Watt power supply (which resides in one of  the front case DVD slots) to power the third card, or in your case the second card.  It has connections that will power two Video cards.  You can get one at prices as low as $68.00.

190 Posts

March 9th, 2010 15:00

Just a heads up here. The new Nvidea cards are due out here in a few weeks. The 480 is supose to out perform the raideon 58xx and 59xx and the nvidea 285 and 295. This should drop the prices down for some of the high end cards.

10 Posts

thank you for the great feed back.  im bouncing between the 5870, the gtx 295...and now the 5970

10 Posts

ah, well thank you.  ill wait abit, and when they come out, hopefully alienware puts them right in

49 Posts

March 9th, 2010 17:00

Just a heads up here. The new Nvidea cards are due out here in a few weeks. The 480 is supose to out perform the raideon 58xx and 59xx and the nvidea 285 and 295. This should drop the prices down for some of the high end cards.

Yes, there is a YouTube video showing the card in action v. the 5870....but it was a canned demo of their choosing (Nvidia).  It did better the 5870 by big margins at times in the demo.  But still no official release date.

190 Posts

March 9th, 2010 18:00

I read over at the overclockers forum where the next few weeks. If I remember right theres a couple of beta testers over there. We will have to see.

41 Posts

March 9th, 2010 19:00

Tech Support tells me that Dual 5870's w/ CrossfireX enabled can support a total of four (4) monitors. But I just don't see how that is possible.
* If CrossfireX enabled, you only get one active port. To get access to all four ports, disable CrossfireX

It is my understanding that since the Catalyst 10.2 driver release last month then eyfinity now works correctly with ATI 5XXX series cards in Crossfire. Thats 3 monitors per card for a total of 6 monitors at once.

The new Nvidia cards are due out on the 26 Mar. Havent seen any real benchmarks yet apart from a single Nvidia released demo using the Unigine 'Heaven' demo / benchmark. It showed the new GTX480 to be around twice as fast as the 5870 during the highly tesselated segments (a new DX11 only feature) but the same or even worse performance during the non tesselated bit. Unfortunately Nvidia had Anti Aliasing etc turned off. Due to the way the new card processes tesselation there are rumours that out of a benchmark scenario, with anti aliasing turned on, the gap between it (if there is a gap) and the 5870 would likely be far less. However even using the Nvidia benchmark it appears that the ATI 5970 may still the faster option.

Either way you are likely better of waiting for the new Nvidia card release before buying. It will either be uber, so can decide to buy that if you need such a card, or even if it isnt that great it will hopefully lower the prices of the existing ATI 5XXX cards so you can get a better bargain with that instead.

Of course a 5970 is effectively CrossfireX on a single card just as a 295 is effectively SLI in a single card.

No Events found!