Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2011 19:00

Bios Update failure - PC constantly rebooting

Hi all,

I attempted to update the bios on my desktop (alienware area 51 alx) from a08 - a10 and during the update the pc blue-screened.

Upon reboot, it's now just in a constant restart loop i.e boots up for 20 seconds or so then restarts again over and over.  It doesn't get to do any post checks at all.

I have tried both methods that i know of for resetting cmos settings..

1. Removing the cmos battery for 15 minutes or so while the pc is disconnected from power.

2. Putting the cmos jumper on pins 2 and 3 for 5 seconds, then placing it back on pins 1 and 2 again while disconnected from power.

Both methods were unsuccessful.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them greatly as I'm at my wits end at this point.

Thanks.

76 Posts

February 24th, 2011 19:00

Hi all,

I attempted to update the bios on my desktop (alienware area 51 alx) from a08 - a10 and during the update the pc blue-screened.

Upon reboot, it's now just in a constant restart loop i.e boots up for 20 seconds or so then restarts again over and over.  It doesn't get to do any post checks at all.

I have tried both methods that i know of for resetting cmos settings..

1. Removing the cmos battery for 15 minutes or so while the pc is disconnected from power.

2. Putting the cmos jumper on pins 2 and 3 for 5 seconds, then placing it back on pins 1 and 2 again while disconnected from power.

Both methods were unsuccessful.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them greatly as I'm at my wits end at this point.

Thanks.

I believe you have to call Alienware or contact Chris M and schedule to have your motherboard replaced.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 24th, 2011 20:00

They should really just take those new BIOS files offline until Dell figures out what is going on.

What is that now ... about 10 desktops that have been killed (that we know about).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 25th, 2011 06:00

Fiachna,

Contact UK Technical Support. Tell them you attempted to run the Dell approved Bios Update and it failed and now the motherboard CMOS is corrupted. They should setup a motherboard replacement.

No Events found!