Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2012 19:00

Black Screen on M17X R3

Hi all,       

Lately, I have been experiencing black screen lockouts on my M17X R3. At first, it only happened when I play games, but now its getting worse, even after the windows log in screen, the screen will go black sometimes. Now I can't use the laptop to play games because the screen will go black in 3-10mins after I load the game. And I couldn't do anything but to do a force shut down by holding the power button because there's no response from the input when it happens.

What I did to isolate problem so far:

- tried to connect an external monitor to test if both monitors will go black -- both monitors went black screen.

- ran AlienAutopsy for check up -- everything is fine.

- ran windows memory check -- no memory problems.

- reinstalled video card driver (fresh) using both the driver from nVidia site and Alienware site -- same problem occurred.

- and lastly, used Alienware Respawn to do a Full System Restore (factory state) -- problem is still there.

Now I'm not sure what to do next but to ask for help.

Thanks in advance!        

laptop specs:

BIOS version A10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Intel Core i7-2860QM @ 2.50GHz

16G System Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 13th, 2012 07:00

What are GPU temps when running games? Have you removed the GPU and cleaned and reapplied the thermal paste?

6 Posts

July 13th, 2012 21:00

Usually the temps ranges from 54-58 C when running games.

And yes I already cleaned the GPU.

I tried disabling it and ran the system, and the black screen didn't occur. So is it possible that my GPU is already dead?

6 Posts

July 14th, 2012 18:00

Nope. It's either the sound will loop or it will just stop. I tried to plug in an external monitor to test that scenario too and same thing happened to it -- they both went black.

15 Posts

July 14th, 2012 18:00

when the screen goes black can you still hear sound in the back ground? next time it goes black shine a bright light into the screen and see if the picture is still there and the backlight is just not on

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 15th, 2012 11:00

The R3 uses the Nvidia Optimus software to flip back and forth between the integrated Intel video and the discrete GTX580m. I want you to go into the software and set it to globally only use the Intel HD graphics. then retest the system.

* Be sure to connect the AC adapter to the system
* Open the NVIDIA Control Panel
* Select Manage 3D Settings
* Under the Global Settings tab, select Integrated graphics
* Click Apply- OK
* Close the NVIDIA Control Panel

Understand gaming will not be possible in this scenario but if the system never blacks out, that leads us to believe that the discrete GTX580m is faulty. If is does black out, your looking at replacing the motherboard which holds the Integrated graphics.

6 Posts

July 15th, 2012 20:00

I can't find the option in the general settings to select the integrated graphics.

And BIOS doesn't detect any integrated graphics at all, and its been like that since I bought the system.

What I did though was to disable the graphics card and let the system up for hours, used it and the "black screen" didn't occur. (been using the system for days now with the graphics card disabled just to test things out and there's really no "black screening" so far)

5 Posts

July 19th, 2012 09:00

Ok guys, detected the file responsible for the crash via my Dump files. It is the "nvlddmkm.sys" driver from nVidia. I searched the internet and found out that this file ocasionaly gets messed up so lets go and replace it with an original one.

Go to the NVIDIA folder "C:\NVIDIA"

Search for file named "nvlddmkm.sy_", it may be in one of the subfolders. Search for it.

Copy this file to the root of "C:\"

Go to your system drivers folder, "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers"

Locate the fila named "nvlddmkm.sys" and rename it to "nvlddmkm.sys.old"

Open command prompt by pressing the WIndows key + R and type "cmd" and press "Enter"

Once command prompt is open navigate to your "C:\" drive with the command "cd .." and pressing "Enter"

Once you are in your "C:\" drive type this commands "expand.exe nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys" and press Enter

(This unzips the file "nvlddmkm.sys" on your "C:\" drive)

Now just copy the file "nvlddmkm.sys" from your "C:\" drive to your "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers" folder and restart your computer.

Now just wait too see if this fixes your problem.

Good luck.

3 Posts

February 12th, 2013 13:00

Hello, I've got the same problem and the driver fix isn't working for me.

Is there another fix or should I consider replacing my graphic card?

5 Posts

February 12th, 2013 13:00

Last week I installed the latest nVidia drivers, downloaded from www.geforce.com (also tested www.nvidia.com)

My FarCry 3 just went crazy, FPS below 10. Computer hanging/restarting every 5 mins. Hmmm...

Now, I'v done the next simple steps:

1.Download 301.42 WHQL drivers from www.nvidia.com

2.Uninstall actual driver from Control Panel (uninstall all nVidia related)

3.Restart

4.Make a clean installation of the 301.42 WHQL drivers (it asks you through the installation wizzard - keep an eye ;D)

5.Restart

DONE. Thats it.

(on regular you may wish to apply the driver fix if the system is acting wrong)

(

check this post of mines about the BLACK SCREEN on the M17X R3

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19456404.aspx

)

The screen still goes black at some points, mostly when I'm doing a lot of stuff on my computer, but its not like before, and I can use my Alien.

I hope this helps you.

GOOD LUCK and have fun

3 Posts

February 14th, 2013 07:00

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried the fixes you explain in both of your posts, but there is still no improvements.

After disassembling my laptop, I've noticed a small burn pattern on the graphic card. This make me think the problem is not on the software but on the hardware...

30 Posts

February 4th, 2014 18:00

M17xR3 with black screening issue :  DID ANYONE EVER FIND THE CULPRIT ?  read many posts of many different M17 users that had the SAME PROBLEM ... certainly by now there should be a more common culprit found ; PLEASE INFORM ME as to what was the problem for most people ! THANKS ! 

No Events found!