Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2013 09:00

'COM Surrogate is not responding' Alienware M17X-R4 (Tag removed)

Hi,

I received an Alienware M17X with Windows 7 as a replacement for a previously faulty device. However, since delivery of this device I've been experiencing a problem. When I am viewing documents/photos in the picture viewer, it crashes, greys out and shows the following error message:
"COM Surrogate has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you is a solution is available"

I then have no option but to click 'close program'. This happens almost every time I try to view a file and has been like this since the product was delivered to me and as such I'm unable to view my files in a practical manner. I updated all my Alienware drivers through the dell website, in case it was a problem with outdated software but unfortunately this has not fixed the problem. It may also be worthwhile to mention that this problem happens quicker and more regularly when I am viewing higher resolution images in the viewer (for example folders of images from my digital camera). I contacted Dell multiple times but have simply told me to format which has not resolved the problem, the laptop was a fresh install upon delivery and is a fresh install now and still has the error. Since the error results from viewing images I suspect the issue could possibly be caused by bad hardware/drivers possibly the graphics card but I couldn't be sure. I also emailed technical support but the person who mailed me back was not very helpful or friendly, and claimed it was a software issue and I should contact Microsoft. They claimed I am only covered by Hardware support. I was really shocked to receive such a response being that the laptop is only 1 month old, and I am also covered by the . I believe that Dell have a responsibility to repair/replace the faulty device so whether or not the support provided with my laptop covers only hardware is irrelevent. The device was delivered to me with this fault and as such I'd like to find a way to resolve it.I searched the Dell website for this error and found the following document:
http://bit.ly/Wj7j3K

This document lists the workaround for this error as, "This message is routine and does not affect the stability of the appliance.". This implies Dell is aware of this error. However, in my case, is does affect the stability of the device as it results in the picture viewer closing down. Here is the error information as appears in the window action center:
DescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exeProblem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DllHost.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Application Timestamp: 4a5bca54
Fault Module Name: igdumd64.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.15.10.2653
Fault Module Timestamp: 4f3aac44
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000030eb06
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: c8b9
Additional Information 2: c8b96ff6893ae8f830bef5617147f677
Additional Information 3: cf24
Additional Information 4: cf24af74439d885bfbc815e02ed9586aExtra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 57490895

Since it's obvious that for now Dell are not going to help to rectify this problem with my laptop I'd like to try to fix the error myself before requesting a return/replacement of this device. I was wondering if anybody had a similar issue and managed to resolve it or have any advice as to how I could potentially fix it and prevent this error so I may use my device as intended. Thank you for taking the time to read my question.  Here's the windows action center listing the error, as you can see it occurs very regularly.

5165.surrogate.jpg

Here's the detailed info of the error
1134.surrogate2.jpg

6 Posts

February 12th, 2013 10:00

Hellooo anyone can help? :(

Rang technical support but they hung up on me.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 12th, 2013 13:00

RococoJo,

Posting your service tag and legalistic jargon are not allowed on our Forum.

This is an operating system issue. See these links:
http://bit.ly/Wj8hgg

http://bit.ly/159NznY

http://bit.ly/S0oFyl

If you had the issue from day one, then perhaps our image was corrupt. You can use the AlienRespawn and reload our image or manually format/install the operating system.

6 Posts

February 12th, 2013 14:00

Why can't I provide my service code, technical support and customer care always ask for it anyway. I was under the impression that information is helpful to resolve problems.

I've tried the regsvr32 vbscript.dll regsvr32 jscript.dll, I've also tried to boot in safe mode but since I cannot use picture viewer in safe mode this is no use to finding out what the issue is. It just tells me to boot into normal mode.

I've already tried the EDP steps, too.

I don't wish to change my file options to "Tick Always show icons never thumbnails." as I need them as thumbnails to see what I'm selecting. Nor do I want to have to use a third party viewer.

I've checked for disk errors and run a number of commands in cmd as advised. I've also run a full diagnostics test on my alienware as advised by technical support.

I am not running Kaspersky, my laptop came with Mcafee.

The only item I can see on the forum links you recommended are the graphics driver related ones. I'm in the process of re-installing all my graphics drivers to see if that makes a difference but I have two listed, an intel one and an nvidia one. I've done the intel and the nvidia is still in the process of downloading.

so far the only success I've had is when I create a new user account, on the new user account I don't have any issues viewing photographs etc. So, I tried to copy past all my documents onto the new user as per a guide I read (so I could then delete the old user account) but unfortunately the documents don't seem to paste into it and when I log onto the new account they are not there so I've not been able to transfer my files to this sucessfully and then delete the other account so I reached a roadblock with this solution.

Hi RococoJo,

Chris’s provided you very useful information.

The cases that I have worked on were related to Kaspersky or the video card diver, so if you have Kaspersky Internet Security software installed, then you might find the info on this thread interesting.

If this is not your case, then try to update the integrated video card driver using the latest one from Intel site. Or set your computer to run with the discrete video card by pressing Fn+F7.

6 Posts

Chris M, thanks for your reply do you mean to say that perhaps your* image was corrupt? If so, this is happening with all images not just one. None of my pictures in my documents, or from an external drive will view correctly without the error.

6 Posts

Hi Kanndy, thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what it means to run a discrete video card? I've never done that before.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2013 15:00

I've been experiencing a problem. When I am viewing documents/photos in the picture viewer, it crashes, greys out and shows the following error message:
"COM Surrogate has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you is a solution is available"

http://ask-leo.com/what_do_i_do_when_windows_explorer_crashes.html

You can also restore machine to factory defaults. Update Windows through Windows Update, but DO NOT install any applications yet. Observe Windows working properly. This will prove Windows and machine Hardware is working properly.

Install latest versions of third-party apps, one-at-a-time. Install any upgrade patches for that app. Test after each one to help track down the problem one.

6 Posts

February 12th, 2013 15:00

Thank you very much I shall try that, too.

February 13th, 2013 08:00

Your computer has two Video Cards: the integrated (Intel) and the discrete (NVidia) graphics cards.

The Switchable Graphics feature allows you to choose whether to use the Intel or the Nvidia graphics card. In your case, you can toggle between them pressing Fn+F7.

The main purpose of this feature is to enhance battery life and is based on your preferences. The discrete Video card is capable of 3D rendering required for gaming, but you'll sacrifice battery life. The integrated one is ideal for everyday use (surfing the web, microsoft office, etc)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 14th, 2013 09:00

Why can't I provide my service code, technical support and customer care always ask for it anyway. I was under the impression that information is helpful to resolve problems.
* Because this is a public post. You do not want your private information out here. A bad person could grab your service tag and say it was theirs and try to move the ownership of the tag to themself.

Chris M, thanks for your reply do you mean to say that perhaps your* image was corrupt? If so, this is happening with all images not just one. None of my pictures in my documents, or from an external drive will view correctly without the error.
* Correct. I meant the image we loaded on your system.

No Events found!