Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 22nd, 2017 18:00

CPU Upgradable in Alienware X51 R2?

Hi Alienware Community, 

I am in the process of finding parts for a friend of mine to upgrade his pc.  He has the core i3 4150 6 gb ram model of the Alienware Rx 51 r2, and we plan on upgrading the ram, gpu, and cpu.  I have upgrades for both the ram and gpu (4 gb of kingston ddr3 1600 mhz ram and a gtx 1050 ti mini).  I know these will fit, however I was wondering if the cpu was up gradable in an Rx 51 R2.  I was looking at the Amd FX 8350 and wondering if that cpu could be used in the custom motherboard.   Any answer would be appreciated.  

Thank you, 

Evan

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 22nd, 2017 21:00

1. I was wondering if the cpu was up gradable in an Rx 51 R2.

2. I was looking at the Amd FX 8350 and wondering if that cpu could be used in the custom motherboard.  

1. Usually ... only for the same-socket Intel CPUs that originally shipped with machine ... that's usually all the BIOS supports.

2. Definitely not. Can't put an AMD processor in an Intel motherboard.

Actually, that motherboard, make-shift laptop-like power-supply, and really even the case is not worth saving. Build yourself a new custom PC and use some of those old parts (ram and video card) if you want.

Maybe just the video card will transfer over, but so be it. Get a SSD and make it Windows bootable. Use old spinning HDD as D: drive.

1.2K Posts

April 24th, 2017 06:00

it can be upgraded.. the I7 4770 or the 4770k variant(overclocking)  and possibly the 4790? not sure  on that one tho..

you can run assuming you got a 330 watt psu a 1070 with ease  even a 1080  but without a few slight mods to inside case   the 1060 would  be a drop in  upgrade or an older 970 as the X51 R3 came with it from dell..

you can spend a small fortune  tho   upgrading

the 4770  the 1060  ram isn't an issue and a good ssd on its own would make night and day difference..

also the  old cpu from your  system will work    on any other  aftermarket board with same socket(4th gen intel)

not being worth it..  is each to  their   own I love the small form factory powerhouse.... but this is my opinion having one sitting here staring at it ..

I7 6700k

1070GTX

32 gig ddr4

2tb of ssd   ( 2.5 inch and a nvme  m2)

sure its a portable space heater but  meh   haha  its   on my desk instead of on the floor   and to be  honest inst much bulkier then my old M18x R2 was on my desk hahahha

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2017 09:00

Right.

But he has a X51-R2 (not R3) with only an Intel H87 chipset. Since it came with i3, I assumed he only had 220w PS (or whatever the small-one was). Already has to buy a new CPU and other stuff. If he can handle a slightly bigger form-factor case, now might be a good time to make the jump-up to mini-tower or horizontal (HTPC-like) desktop case (with conventional desktop power-supply and some "breathing room").

Your x51-R3 config turned out nice ... turn and burn.

1.2K Posts

April 24th, 2017 11:00

I love this little space heater  don't get me wrong and yes I got a R3 .. so 6th gen ..  but only thing left from stock   is  the case and the board..  haha

No Events found!