Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2016 18:00

CPU and or Motherboard upgrade

Hi i`m looking for some help ! i was hoping to down load the new BF1 game when it came out but after checking my system online it turns out my CPU   doesn`t meet the minimum requirements i have a 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

it says the minimum  it needs is a Core i5 6600k

where can i find the make and model of the motherboard to see what i can upgrade the CPU to or if i need to upgrade the motherboard  which one to get that would fit 

its a 2009 Alienware Aurora R1 if you need more info let me know what and where i`d find it  

thanks !!

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 31st, 2016 22:00

5353.s-l1600.jpgYour Gen1 Intel i7 9xx CPU is a socket 1366 X58 chipset Nehalem (Bloomfield); motherboard is micro-ATX / u-ATX form factor (9.6x9.6") made for Aware by MSI (MIcro Star Int.) model MS - 7591. It can probably be upgraded to an i7 975 4-core or 980x / maybe 990x 6-core as the top choice

The 6th Gen Intel is a socket 1151 Z170 chipset Skylake, list of i5s here (& Sky i7s link prior)

DSC_0001.JPG

Here we see an Asus Maximus Gene VIII Z170 i7 6700k inside Aurora R4

This photo was passed to me by a forum member who possesses an admirable amount of skill in building computers, & the effort required to remove old & replace with new & do so correctly & without harm to the components is substantial or can feel substantial, based on your skill level.

The front panel wiring required no changes (plug & play) but the MIO board proved not to be able to run higher versions of CmndCntr software & so version 2.8.11 was substituted, on Windows7 & works.

Due to their CPU sockets, the R1 motherboard tray (the metal plate the motherboard attaches to & which bolts to the case wall) is different than the R4 tray; if you were to remove your motherboard from its tray you will find a black plastic liquid-cooling backplate bolted to the tray; its four bolt stanchions (in the unique socket 1366 bolt pattern) are 'raised' bumps, which may or may not affect the mounting of a new backplate, say for socket 1151 (your old black plastic backplate is removed from the tray, the new attaches to the back of the motherboard itself & hopefully the motherboard will bolt to its tray without issue). You can run Aurora R1 motherboard swap / upgrade as a search term through bing / google where it may be possible to uncover about a dozen or less swaps / build logs, certainly run an 'Aurora motherboard' search here in this forum, you may post on Alien Arena, sift through AlienOwners Aurora sub-forum & send a friend request to Spook who has experience with R2 & R4 swaps & may have advice, since I do not have time to devote to your thread after posting this bit of help, so good luck

50 Posts

September 1st, 2016 06:00

wow thanks Ole thats loads of information it looks quite scary it might be just a bit to much with my limited  knowledge of the insides of a PC plus getting the right parts that work together and would fit in my PC knowing my luck i`d get the wrong board and CPU

thanks again  

No Events found!