Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2016 14:00

Calling on the BIG Guns

Hi all,

I bought an Alienware Aurora R2 to upgrade and it all works fine except, when I change the cpu from the i3 530 it currently has, to another 1156 chip it will not display on screen and says check connection and puts the monitor into power save mode. I am baffled. I tried an i5 760s also a i5 750 as that chip was an option at new stock.

It has the intel P55 ibex peak chip set with the 1156 H1 socket

intel i5 530 cpu

GTX  690

4GB RAM 

875watt power supply

The above configuration works perfect until you swop out the processor and get that display error. Computer seems to boot fine with the other chips in, so I tried another monitor same thing. I tried a bios/cmos reset from the motherboard but same problem. I am currently running the A04 bios version which is the latest one from Dell detect. what is the problem, please help.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 5th, 2016 11:00

Hi, 

We do not support that processor as CPU upgrade option for the Alienware Aurora R2. Therefore, we are not sure if it should work properly with this system. You could also try posting this on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena forums for assistance. 

This is also a thread from a similar query but the user already had an i5 750 fitted,

en.community.dell.com/.../19501564

If this helps,

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The Alienware Aurora R2 came with the stock option of having an i5 750 back in 2010 when this unit was bought, as was the i3 530 and an i7 860 also options among others.

If the unit is not upgradeable to the stock options that were available at the time, do you have a list of CPU'S that are??  as I'm not sure what the Notebook review is, but just to clarify this is a desktop pc.

Hope you can help me thanks.

April 5th, 2016 12:00

Thanks Telsa,

Did try that at the start as the unit came with the original GPU, but it still had the same problem. I even tried all the different connections on both the original GPU and the GTX.

I bought the i5 760s brand new retail factory sealed and it didn't work with either GPU, just that ""check connection"" then goes to power save mode. So I bought a used i5 750 as this was a stock option at the time and again that didn't work either.

Its gutful because I think with that last upgrade it would be a very good unit for my uni work and games of course.

It baffles me that it all works fine with the i3 but not the I5. I wonder if it is a bios thing.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 5th, 2016 12:00

Try a working/tested but lower-end PCIe video card. Maybe one from that time-frame.

Make machine as basic as possible until you find something that works, then only change one thing at a time until you arrive at desired config.

MB or processors might be bad or flakey. Also, watch for installation error.

Agreed, a full list of Aurora-R2 supported processors would be nice to see.

No Events found!