Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2012 17:00

Can Aurora R4 ALX take Nvidia GTX 680?

Does anyone know if it's as easy as taking the old graphics card out and replacing it with the new GTX 680 or is their limitations with the Aurora R4 ALX?

2.4K Posts

April 6th, 2012 10:00

It should be that simple. I would be shocked if you couldn't, I mean I can't see any reason why you can't. But then again you won't know for sure until you or someone else tries it.

Dells official stance will be something along the lines that the GTX 680 has not been validated for the Aurora yadda yadda. Just like they never validated 3 GTX 480s in my system. I had to just try it and see.

14 Posts

April 6th, 2012 10:00

I might have to wait and find out officially or from another user as even though I've only had my Aurora R4 ALX a couple of months ago, I'm so tempted to get the GTX 680 but I'm a novice when it comes to understanding power supply requirements, heating problems etc. Would love to hear what others think of this question.

14 Posts

May 18th, 2012 04:00

Hey! I supose this is a bit late reply, but in case you haven't decided yet, just wanted to let you know that I just got my new Alienware Aurora R4 with a GeForce GTX 680 sold by Dell. So if they sell it it's because it can be used with it (I guess)

The only issue I've had so far is that it seems after 36 hours of use, this graphics card died. On Monday I will get a replacement, hopefully this one will work properly and longer. :)

Good luck! ^_^

14 Posts

May 18th, 2012 08:00

Hi, thanks for your reply and very surprised to hear your GTX 680 has failed? I have yet to get the GTX 680 but am ready to purchase one now and probably get the one made by PNY. I have also been attracted to the GTX 670 too, allot of reviewers say it's not that much less in performance to the GTX 680 for the money, so I will be thinking on which one I get, the GTX 670 or 680?

Let me know when your replacement comes and how you get on with it too, oh and also, any chance you can tell me who is the manufacturer of the graphics card, is it Dell or another brand?

14 Posts

May 20th, 2012 08:00

Yeah, I'm surprised too, to be honest, don't know what was the issue. xD PNY is a good manufacturer.

I have checked my current GTX 680 and I can't see any brand on the chipboard, so I guess it's an original Nvidia card?

When I bought my computer I couldn't choose anything in between the 580 and the 680. It's probably worth the price difference between the 670 and the 680 compared to the performance, but I'm not an expert and so far, my first experience with the 680 has been a disaster, as you can see. xD

I would check http://www.tomshardware.com/ to see if there are any reviews or tips.

I'm looking forward to get my new one and *fingers crossed* that I don't get anymore issues!

Good luck!!

May 25th, 2012 08:00

"I have checked my current GTX 680 and I can't see any brand on the chipboard, so I guess it's an original Nvidia card?"

That's an nVidia reference board. It's the board all other manufacturers actually get and modify (to whatever extent) to put their spin / stamp on it.

That is VERY strange to hear a reference board failed. Did you do anything at all (any tweaking) to it? I'm concerned as I want to make sure there's not a similar retarded problem lurking under the hood of the 600 series such as the GTX590 "problem".

111 Posts

May 30th, 2012 06:00

Cool, happy too see that the 680 work well.  When I bought my Aurora R4 back in march, the only gpu available were 560ti and dual 555(OEM) in SLI.  I choosed the dual 555, and I must say i'm not completely satisfied.  So I am about to bought a GTX680.

111 Posts

June 18th, 2012 19:00

Hey Peeps.   Finally upgraded to a GTX670.

OMG.  Now, the machine is running like i wished it would!!!!! :D

111 Posts

December 12th, 2012 08:00

5 months later, I just bought a second GTX 670, so now Dual GTX 670 in SLI.

Everything work fine.  My only concern is the heat.  Both cards are so close.  During heavy load, one of the GPU temps will rise up to 89-91C.  It doesnt seem to want to go higher than that, since I changed the fan profile in the Asus Tweak utility.

Do you guys have any suggestions or it should be fine like that?  Thanks!

No Events found!