Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2016 11:00

Can I install windows 7 on Alienware X51 R3

I'm trying to install windows 7 onto Alienware X51 R3. I first tried to install using the win7 boot disc. Once you get to the install screen no usb devices are recognized. In both the 3.0 and 2.0 ports. So i can't get the keyboard or mouse to work.

I decided to create a usb win7 bootable device and add the drivers. I added the drivers for what i thought was the right 3.0 drivers, but they must be wrong as I still can't get the drivers to work. From dell, the computer did not come with any motherboard information so I'm not sure exactly what i need to use. I can't get the keyboard and mouse to recognize with those drivers either. 

Am I doing something wrong or can you point me in the direction of the proper drivers for the motherboard. Which I'm not entirely sure what motherboard it uses as this information wasn't provided in any documentation with the new PC. Any help would be appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2016 14:00

Hi, 

Unfortunately, we do not support this system with Windows 7. It is only supported with Windows 8.1 and 10. You could also try posting this on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena forums for assistance.

May 16th, 2016 20:00

Hi frankenfritz25,

The problem, in my opinion, is Intel joined with Microsoft and removed support for the USB devices for Win7. If you try to install Windows 7 you will lose your USB ports and you cant enter keyboard or mouse commands to set up windows. I believe Microsoft are trying to force us to use the Win 10. If your like me I cant stand windows 10, It updates during every game all the time, slowing the system down to a crawl, and you cant disable it. There have been 2 updates that have completely removed all data on my gaming drive, which forces me to spend a Day, a full day each time reinstalling. And I haven't even touched the Spyware aspect of windows 10.

Sorry for the Rant, But I absolutely refuse to use Win 10. It has taken a while but here is what I have accomplished so far. Microsoft and ASRock makes a USB patcher that will create a install image from a legal win 7 disk and makes it bootable. It will load the USB 3.0 Drivers  and allow you to install the OS.  Here is the link:

The instructions are in the readme. You will need a:

USB drive 8GB or larger

A leagal copy of Windows 7

Follow instructions on the readme, I think there is a Youtube guide also;

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zPIGrFypI:550:0]

Once your Bootdisk is created you can install windows on to your main drive. I am using an M.2 drive. Once the computer re-boots and tries to complete the install from main drive, it drops the USB drivers again. I am going to see if there is a way to enable XHCI in bios so that it will hand off drives and work.

This is still a work in progress for me so if anyone gets something and gets further along please post.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

901 Posts

May 17th, 2016 18:00

Would it be worthwhile trying to install windows 7 on the HDD in another computer with similar BIOS settings (UEFI) and transfer it to the X51.

I've got a HDD with windows 7 on it I use to do boot up test on faulty computers, I've had the same HDD in laptops and desktops so it may work.

May 21st, 2016 14:00

**************SOLVED**************

Create USB 3.0 Stick as i described above. (Note the Program formats the USB in a FAT32 format so I think you are limited to using USB stick no larger than 32GB, Make sure it is no smaller than 8GB or you run out of space. I had 256MG to spare after install)

Next Go to Dells Website and find Support for your Alienware X51 R3. Change the OS to Windows 8.1 and download and save all the drivers and Applications offered for this unit. I put all of these on a second, separate USB stick. Make sure to label the saves in a way you can read them later and know exactly what drivers they are.

Next go to Intel and download the 3.0 Drivers from their webpage, Dells 3.0 drivers would not work. The link is:

********************ONLY FOR THE M.2 SSD Skip this step if you don't have the M.2******************

You will have to find the M.2 SSD drivers in their Extracted form. The default drivers from Samsung is in an EXE install and they will not extract into your setup. I forgot where I found mine, so you have to look. I know once I downloaded it it was in a RAR format and I had to use a different program to to open it. Once you find it label a folder called M.2 and extract them to there, If you have problems finding this Reply to this Forum and I will see if I can email the extracted files to you. *****Warning***** be sure you have current Up to date Antivirus for the RAR extractor program you use. Several of the ones I found had spyware in them, and my antivirus stopped me from downloading them.

**************************************************************************************************************

OK once all this is done you are going to need a program to Slipstream the 3.0 drivers ( And if Needed the M.2 Drivers ) into your Created USB image. Do this by going to;

This program is not intuitive, but it is not hard either. There are some tutorials on Youtube, but they are long. Go here to get the quick Skinny of it;

This program will allow you to mount your image that you created on your USB drive for Win 7 install, and install the drivers into the image. Follow the instructions on the NT Guide page above and install the 3.0 drivers and M.2 Drivers (If needed) into both the install.win and boot.win folders. 

This program took about 1.5 hours to mount and install the drivers, When it is done it will make a backup image for you. Nice....

Once that is done Plug in your win7 USB stick to your Alienware, and boot to Bios. Apply the following changes;

Secure Boot = Off

Legacy Boot = On

Boot order to USB OS First

It should boot off the USB stick and install windows 7 for you. Once Windows 7 is installed, Plug in your Second USB that has all the Dell Drivers and update your device manager starting with Chipset drivers first. All but 2 of my device manager drivers went in fine. Still working on the last 2 but Windows 7 is working great.

That's it

Good luck

No Events found!