Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

March 13th, 2013 13:00

Can Optimus be disabled on the M17x-R4?

I'd thought that it could be using that Function + F7 combination.  But today someone claimed that doesn't work, that that's only for AMD's GPUs?

I don't have the system yet, just ordered last week, but probably wouldn't have bought it had I known I was stuck with Optimus... :-/

353 Posts

March 13th, 2013 21:00

if you have a dedicated video card on it just don't plug into the onboard video and you will not be bothered by Optimus. i have never used it on my x51 i never plug into it.

3.9K Posts

March 14th, 2013 09:00

Oh thanks (and that's great to know it can be avoided on the x51!) but unfortunately that doesn't apply to the M17x-R4, 'cause it just has the one output, that I think is hooked to both the Intel video and the GPU (I mean I think the GPU *can* output directly to the display or the digital output, but apparently Dell just isn't allowing it to for some reason).

835 Posts

March 19th, 2013 15:00

Hello tigerwolf7,

As a confirmation to your suspicions, the Optimus cannot be disabled, mainly because the integrated graphics card cannot be disabled in the BIOS.

3.9K Posts

March 19th, 2013 16:00

Thanks!  I still have mine on order, can't really decide if I'm going to cancel it or not, given tons of other systems use Optimus too, unfortunately.

3.9K Posts

November 30th, 2015 13:00

This is years later, but I stumbled across this question and thought I'd add more.

Optimus absolutely *can* be disabled on the M17x-R4 through an easy key combination while Windows is running, has you reboot and toggles it on or off.  

This works with BIOS mode...I made a note years ago that it DOESN'T work in UEFI mode, but I'm not sure if that's really the case.

The M17x-R4 is an awesome system, though I've heard the current models don't let you disable Optimus, so I wouldn't buy one.  But then there's a lot of misinformation out there so who knows if that's really the case.  

EDIT: Another update-it can also be disabled in UEFI mode on the M17x-R4.  Optimus is just too flaky, and is unacceptable.  I will not buy any system that has it and doesn't let you disable it.  Unfortunately it sounds like the newer Alienware 17 systems don't let you disable it. 

No Events found!