Highlighted
solobomb
6 Indium

Can i upgrade my m17R4 laptop graph card ?

Jump to solution
Hello. My laptop motherboard has died. ( my guess cause nothing happens anymore while pressing the boot button) i called the support and they will send a technician to come and fix it with the new parts needed. (Even tho they dont know what needs changing) that I'm quite annoyed cause they dont have the part in stock. And specialy the motherboard died exactly 1 year after manufacture and when the warranty run out. (Just as well iv expanded it another year so im still insured) So i'm quite mad that it breaks exactly at that time and for me its really weird. My alienware m17r4 has the 675m, wanted to know if i can replace it with the latest graph card on the market? And if it will be directly compatible without changing other parts of the system like the heat spreaders etc. I would like to ask the technician to make that upgrade. Despite that im mad that it died after 1 year when the warranty just ended. What are my possibilities with the warranty? And what would it take to upgrade my graph card?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: Can i upgrade my m17R4 laptop graph card ?

Jump to solution

Hi solobomb,

I apologize for the inconvenience.

But, I would be more than happy to answer the questions that you have asked above. Yes with the Alienware M17x R4 you can go ahead and change the graphics card on the laptop. Dell has tested 2 cards with the system that are compatible and of upgraded model than your Nvidia GT 675M.

The cards are nVidia GTX 680M and AMD Radeon 7970M . You would have to purchase these cards separately and install them. Its not that diifcult to replace the graphic card for your system model, for a video on how to install the GPU, click here . You can also purchase graphic cards from the market directly, but make sure with them whether they are compatible or not. I would recommend purchasing cards that Dell has tested with this system. (mentioned above)

As for the warranty, if you happen to install any other third party graphic card and due to that if any of the parts inside the computer fail, then that would not be covered under warranty. If there is a generic mechanical failure of any components, not specifically due to the graphic card, then the computer will be covered under warranty.

For example, If due to the graphic card malfunction, the motherboard gets fried up then that would not be covered. But if the keyboard, motherboard or any other component fails to operate properly (not because of the graphic card) or is facing issues then that would be covered under warranty. To read about this more in detail, please click here for Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Terms & Conditions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Jyotpal F
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, order & dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click here
5 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi solobomb,

I apologize for the inconvenience.

But, I would be more than happy to answer the questions that you have asked above. Yes with the Alienware M17x R4 you can go ahead and change the graphics card on the laptop. Dell has tested 2 cards with the system that are compatible and of upgraded model than your Nvidia GT 675M.

The cards are nVidia GTX 680M and AMD Radeon 7970M . You would have to purchase these cards separately and install them. Its not that diifcult to replace the graphic card for your system model, for a video on how to install the GPU, click here . You can also purchase graphic cards from the market directly, but make sure with them whether they are compatible or not. I would recommend purchasing cards that Dell has tested with this system. (mentioned above)

As for the warranty, if you happen to install any other third party graphic card and due to that if any of the parts inside the computer fail, then that would not be covered under warranty. If there is a generic mechanical failure of any components, not specifically due to the graphic card, then the computer will be covered under warranty.

For example, If due to the graphic card malfunction, the motherboard gets fried up then that would not be covered. But if the keyboard, motherboard or any other component fails to operate properly (not because of the graphic card) or is facing issues then that would be covered under warranty. To read about this more in detail, please click here for Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Terms & Conditions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Jyotpal F
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, order & dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click here
solobomb
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Hello, thank you for the quick respons.

Yes it would be easy to set up a new graphic card. I agree it would be wise to get 680m as its alredy been tested. and cheaper. do know where i can order the 680m for switzerland?

Im just worried if The card will work normal with the other components like with the heat spreder and if it dosnt need more energy?

My ac gets very hot that its not possible to hold it. My laptop alredy had overheating problems that needs the fans to be cleaned every 2-3 months so that it dosnt auto shut down. iv got a cooling pad now that i use all the time when gaming. I wonder if the energy would be enough to power the card, mouse, coolingpad, headphones, netowrk cable, and if its safe to plug in a 1080x900 resolution screen.I wonder if it can be the cause of my motherboard to fry, its only been a bit more then a month that iv been using the cooling pad to my computer Including the list above. A bit much to attach to a laptop.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi solobomb,

I am not sure from where you can order it in Switzerland. However, you can check from a retail store / computer peripheral outlet nearby or order it online as well. Also, nVidia GTX 680M would be a good choice and you do not need any extra power / energy for this. It should work with your current adapter / charger. Basically Alenware Adapters for your model are either 180W or 240W. And the nVidia GTX 680M needs a maximum power of only 100W . So it should work fine.

When you purchase the card you also get the whole kit which includes the heat sink (heat spreader) along with it as shown in the video. I would recommend you to check with the seller once before you purchase the card. And the card will work normally with the other components.

Its good that you are taking care of the laptop by cleaning the fans and using a cooling pad. Also I would advice you to try and update the BIOS of the computer. BIOS helps in controlling the heat, fan and the temperature inside the computer and keeping it upto date is always good. To download the latest version of BIOS (as of now) , you can click here . Once you have downloaded the BIOS, go ahead and double click on it to update. Before you update, follow the instructions on how to update the BIOS:

• Unplug all peripherals from the laptop
  • Make sure the charger is plugged in
  • Make sure the battery charge is above 10%
  • Do not run any programs while updating the BIOS
  • Also during the update do not manually shut down the computer
The computer may restart a couple of times during the BIOS update which is normal.
It is also perfectly fine to attach a monitor to the computer. Both nVidia GTX 680M and 675M support upto a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 . So connecting a monitor should not be a problem. This resolution can only be attained by HDMI and DisplayPort on your laptop.
Thanks & Regards,
Jyotpal F
#iworkfordell
0 Kudos
solobomb
6 Indium

Jump to solution

humm i see there is a GTX680m only has 2G VRAM, the ones i found on eBay have 4G. But none of them really says for alienware m17r4 or comes with the heat sink. ( iv read that the 675m heat sink is compatible for the card, but i prefer to play it safe and try and get the heat sink in the kit like in the video)

Would the 4G would work? Iv read that it could over heat cause it less compatible.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi solobomb,

Yes, it would be much better if you go out to the computer peripherals store nearby and check if the heatsink and the support plate come along with the complete kit or not. Because, the components inside the kit differ from country to country and region to region.

As far as the VRAM of the video card is concerned, Dell has tested the GTX 680M 2G version with this particular Alienware computer, so I would recommend to use the 2GB VRAM version of the card rather than the 4GB version as there could be difference in power consumption and the heat generated as well.

Thanks & Regards,
Jyotpal F
#iworkfordell
0 Kudos