Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2012 07:00

Can't Switch to dedicated graphics without black screening / crashing. m17x r3.

Hello,

The problem i have is that when i switch to my dedicated graphics card, my laptop crashes (Screen goes black and doesn't come back on).  I have re-installed windows 7 and successfully installed all the required drivers from the dell website (in the order they specified). I have ran the Alien autopsy and everything passed. I have also ran the diagnostics on the boot-up screen and everything passed. Then i took the graphics card out and re-installed it (with new thermal paste). Then ran the tests again and they passed.

When it first went wrong, i changed to the dedicated to play a game. It done the usual flicker, however this time it couldn't get the screen into place. It seemed like it was trying too but it couldn't for some reason. It tried for about 10 seconds, then the screen started changing colour and fuzzing around. Then it crashed. I turned it off and back on and it wouldn't boot into the logon screen (i waited for a few minutes). Then i re-installed windows.  

The only conclusion i can think of is that the graphics card is broken in someway... 

Alienware m17x r3 specs:

i7-2670QM, 12GB RAM, 2x 500GB HDD Raid 0, intel hd 3000, amd radeon hd 6990M, 1920x1080 resolution...

Anymore information needed just ask...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 29th, 2012 12:00

Gavin_Young,

Be sure the AC adapter is plugged in. Boot into the Bios by powering on and pressing F2. On the Main screen, what is listed by Integrated Graphics and Discrete Graphics? On the Advanced screen, by Primary Display, what is listed? What other options are available there?

October 29th, 2012 13:00

Thank you for the reply,

Intergrated graphics: Intel Sandy Bridge

Discrete graphics: ATI GFX

However, in the advanced options i can't see the primary display. There is all i can see. Intel (R) speedsetup, Virtualization, USB Emulation, USB Wake Support, USB Powershare, Intergrated network, High Definition Audio, SD Card Reader, CPU turbo mode. Then in the next section there is Performance options menu, Sata Operation, Sata Hard Drive 1 & 2, Adapter Warnings and Charger Behavior.  

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 1st, 2012 08:00

What bios is installed? Alienware M17XR3 A12 BIOS = add GPU switch option in F2

November 1st, 2012 14:00

I had A10 but i have now updated to A12. I can now see the Primary Display options in the Bios and it has two options, SD and PEG. It is currently set to SD. However, after updating i tried switching to the Dedicated graphics and i got an error message saying that no AMD driver is installed or the amd driver is not functioning properly, but when i go into the device manager its says AMD Radeon HD 6900m Series and Intel(R) HD Graphics Family under Display adapters. I go into properties of the AMD and click update driver and it says its up to date...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 1st, 2012 15:00

How are you "switching to dedicated graphics" ?

November 1st, 2012 16:00

i use the catalyst control center, it starts the switch but then goes black (not off, just black) The otherway is FN+F7, but when i try that way i just get the error message...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 6th, 2012 06:00

It does sound like the video card is defective. Ask the guys here before replacing it. http://bit.ly/oWz9v3

207 Posts

May 29th, 2013 07:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.          

No Events found!