Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 21st, 2013 19:00

Command Center Not working

I am sorry if this is the wrong place for this (this is my first time on these forums)

Anyway, I recently re-installed windows, which went fine, and my fans and cpu pump where working fine.   I then preceded to install and update alienware command center.  After I restarted my computer, I noticed that my cpu fan was running much louder than normal.  When I opened ACC, I noticed that all of my ambient sensors said 0 degrees, and that my cpu pump had failed.  My PCI and Hard drive fan where both at 0%.  My Alien FX also doesn't work and i get the error message

"There was an error while AlienFX Controller was communicating with the computer. This might have been caused due to a problem with the hardware or the software.Try these solutions to correct the issue, in the following order:

- Try to enable AlienFX Controller again. Right-click on the AlienFX icon in the Windows notification area and select 'Enable Alienware AlienFX'.
- Shut down your computer and power it back on.

If neither of these solutions works, please contact Alienware technical support.
This error may also be caused if Alienware AlienFX software is installed on a computer without the proper hardware support for Alienware AlienFX"

After this I downloaded a 3rd party temp monitor, and noticed that my cpu temp is about 20 degrees higher than normal.  I have  reinsalled ACC ascording to the guide here on the forum multiple times.  
(btw my system is a alienware aurora from 2009)
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 25th, 2013 14:00

Ok, thanks for all you help, just one more thing. where do I get one, and how do I know which one to get (btw I tried the parts and upgrades page, but It wasn't on there.

Call Dell Spare Parts 1-800-357-3355 and ask for the part number for prices and availability. I think they might be around $100. If you are under warranty or less than 6 months outside of warranty, you might be able to get a free swap (through Tech Support).

MIO-Board - Part Numbers:
Aurora-R1
2JXP2 : Master I/O Board ALX
P0GVP : Master I/O Board Standard

If you have motorized louvers on top, you have an ALX.
If just a plainer top with fixed honey-comb hole pattern, you need the Standard

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 21st, 2013 20:00

Moving this thread to the Alienware Owners Club Forum.

Bev.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 21st, 2013 22:00

That error just means Command Center can't reach MIO-Board via USB.

Try 1. Power Dissipation fix

2. Then, Test MIO-Board outside of Windows

3. Clean install Command Center v2.7.x or higher.

en.community.dell.com/.../20128296.aspx

June 22nd, 2013 10:00

Also, when I run AlienwareAlienFXTester it says Firmware Upgrade Skipped, and when I click set LEDs RED it says "It seems there is some problem with the AlienFX board

June 22nd, 2013 10:00

Ok, I did the power dissipation fix,and that didn't work, I then reinstalled windows, which didn't work either, how do I test the MIO-Board outside of windows

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 22nd, 2013 12:00

Use Bootable Dell Diags disc (or USB Flash-Drive) you created from File Area download.

-or-

Press F12 on Boot

Boot to Utility Partition

Test System - Diagnostics

Custom Test

Master IO USB Device

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 22nd, 2013 14:00

Ok, thanks got it, it gave me error code 0145.

Keep trying Power Dissipation. MIO-Board must respond in Dell Diags (outside of Windows) before it will ever work INSIDE Windows. Doing these two things many times often eventually resets it.

If you were running Command Center 2.5.x (older 2009-2010 Auroras often were), that means your MIO-Board was running a 1.x firmware. The first time you try to install CC v2.6 or higher, it will try to upgrade the MIO-Board's firmware to v2.x. If you didn't do a "Power Dissipation" first (and maybe other reasons) the MIO-Board firmware upgrade will often fail and will corrupt the MIO-Board (basically bricking/killing it).

If the MIO-Board is bricked, the only thing you can do is replace it. Dell Parts has them for around $100. The Aurora MIO-Board comes in two versions ... Normal (non-ALX) version and the ALX version. Be sure to order the right one.

June 22nd, 2013 14:00

Ok, thanks got it, it gave me error code 0145.

June 23rd, 2013 08:00

Ok, I have tried the Power dissipation a bunch of times, and that didn't work, I think disconnected the power and took out the clock battery and left it over night, and that didn't work either, is there any other way to reset the motherboard?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 23rd, 2013 12:00

is there any other way to reset the motherboard?

The problem is not the MotherBoard, it's the MIO-Board. What I said above are the only ways I know to reset the MIO-Board. If you followed those links you will get an idea about how it all works.

June 23rd, 2013 14:00

Ah ok, thanks I didn't understand the difference between a motherboard and a mio board.

My device manager shows an unknown device located at Port_#0001.Hub_#0005 which im guessing is my mio board.  I also ran a dell diagnostics

Which said everything passed except a few unrelated things, however I don't see a mio board on it anywhere, did I run the right test (as in does alienware have a seperate one) this is the one I used www.dell.com/.../CZJ3QL106202013055540

I am currently still trying to reset the mio board

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 23rd, 2013 16:00

1. My device manager shows an unknown device located at Port_#0001.Hub_#0005 which im guessing is my mio board.  I also ran a dell diagnostics

2. Which said everything passed except a few unrelated things, however I don't see a mio board on it anywhere, did I run the right test (as in does alienware have a seperate one) this is the one I used www.dell.com/.../CZJ3QL106202013055540

1. Ya, I think that's what Windows shows when it's broken/bricked/locked-up. When working, that doesn't appear like that.

2. No. Please read so I don't have to repeat myself 

Use Bootable Dell Diags disc (or USB Flash-Drive) you created from File Area download.

-or-

Press F12 on Boot

Boot to Utility Partition

Test System - Diagnostics

Custom Test

Master IO USB Device

2b. If it's  broken/bricked/locked-up the proper Dell Diag program will not be able to detect it to even start to check it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 23rd, 2013 19:00

1. Nvm about that, it was my mistake, I got it running.

2. It said all tests passed, except that it gave me a device initiation error, with an error code of 5D00:0009,

3. and after the 2nd fan test it seemed like one of the fans was stuck on high.

4. Btw thanks for you help thus far :), and don't worry, I did read it :)

1. Good

2. Ya, sounds like it's killed/bricked/locked up. Just like this user's ... read first post here:

3. Don't worry. Just shut-down or Power Dissipate. Even good/working MIO-Boards do something like this during the test. Main thing is to see the lights/fans respond. I'm guessing the MIO-Board Custom test is still not available?

4. You are welcome and no-problem. 

Ok, I have tried to create Bootable Dell Diags USB Flash-Drive but I can only find a 34bit version (I have a 64 bit system) and it isn't working, there is no boot to utility partition in the startup menu

Nvm about that, it was my mistake, I got it running.

It said all tests passed, except that it gave me a device initiation error, with an error code of 5D00:0009, and after the 2nd fan test it seemed like one of the fans was stuck on high.

Btw thanks for you help thus far :), and don't worry, I did read it :)

No Events found!