Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2014 17:00

Compatible graphics cards?

I have Alienware M15X laptop. 

Used to worked perfectly until one afternoon the games started to "stutter", lag, "move too fast" (in games like TF2 and L4D2 as an example).

Most definitely not my network (I have a low ping, also I called to make sure the isp didn't blacklist any servers, and I checked traffic. Not to mention I have no lag nowhere else). 

I tried turning down all the options (not needed since that very same morning it was running perfectly on high), updating the drivers. Everything. 

I already reset the laptop to factory defaults just in case there was a driver causing this (there wasn't. I didn't install anything new). Didn't help. 

I am guessing my graphics card bit the dust? 

I had a (Vista) ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730. 

Possible to upgrade? If yes, where can I find a list of compatible cards? Which one is recommended as an upgrade? 

1.8K Posts

July 2nd, 2014 18:00

Hi!

First, I recommend you try the troubleshooting steps on this article to confirm if the problem is related to hardware.

If issue persists and the video card needs to be replaced, below you'll find the validated video cards for the M15X.

Part#   Model
KCTKH   GeForce GT 240M 
WDXVH   GeForce GTS 260M 
NTVGT   Radeon HD 5730

0XYPF

Radeon HD 5850

901 Posts

July 3rd, 2014 06:00

Hi Arraysix, the selection the Naomi posted are correct, but you can also use other cards too, as long as your power supply can handle it.

You will have to do a few minor adjustments to the driver to get it to install, but that only takes 5 minutes and there are lots of tutorials.

In your position I'd probably look at:

2GB AMD/ATI 6970M or 6990M

2GB NVidia GTX 580M or 675M (I'd say GTX680, but not sure if a M15x power supply will be enough)

All depends what your budget is..........

4 Posts

Thanks you for both the list and the article!

I'll see if there is anything else I can try before going shopping.

Thanks again. Very helpful!

4 Posts

Thanks, for the suggestions!

No Events found!