Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2011 15:00

Computer started talking to me.

I don't know which update is causing this but every once in a while a male voice comes over the speaker while in IE and tells me I can go to tools and delete the cookies and I think browsing history.  Its happened about 3 times now in the past week and all on difference sites including this one.  Any ideas?

431 Posts

October 8th, 2011 19:00

most likely spyware. get malwarebytes and/or stinger and run some scans.

90 Posts

October 8th, 2011 19:00

I have never heard of that, but first I would make sure you are taking your medication correctly, just kidding.  Make sure your antivirus is updated and run a full scan, make sure IE is up to date.  

3 Posts

October 8th, 2011 20:00

Found this from microsoft answers, sounds similar to a rogue malware, probably recomend using malwarebytes for removal, also if youre running IE9 that program has quite a few bugs in it still, if it persists, control panel > view installed updates> find IE9 uninstall, reboot > check windows updates > hide update. its not a required upgrade but its caused issues from typing lag to programs failing to start from other computers ive worked on, heres a link for what i found though hope its somewhat helpful  

answers.microsoft.com/.../ff364226-992d-40b1-976a-9b94210749bd

322 Posts

October 9th, 2011 08:00

Syliftech, your answer hit it on the head. Followed directions from Microsoft and found no Malware which I would have been surprised as in 20+ years of computing have only had one virus and that was back in my younger years with my Amiga.  So I reset IE9 to default and we'll see what happens as I have been using it on 3 computers since day one and this just started a week or so ago and has only happened maybe less than 5 times.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 9th, 2011 13:00

and that was back in my younger years with my Amiga.  

Good times ... I had a 500 system, decked out with extra RAM and a bootable 40meg HDD.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11218784/3/10-brand-names-gone-but-not-forgotten.html

As for your current problem ... malware was the likely cause. If it happens again, you might check Task Manager for a rogue App or Process. It will also be in your logs (Event Viewer). Windows also has Text to Speech that will read the screen or perform as programmed, but the included voice is female (not male).

322 Posts

October 9th, 2011 14:00

So far after reseting IE no more problems.  Someone during my google search said his did it when he opened a new tab.  Got me to thinking that seems to be when mine did it.  Also a few people posted that if they disabled the google toolbar it went away and if they reinabled Google it came back.  Strange.

757 Posts

October 9th, 2011 15:00

Speaking of the Amiga.

I bought an Amiga 1000 way back when with the powerful Motorola 68000 processor. It came with a large 256k memory and no hard drive. It did use the new 3.5 inch floppy though to boot up as well as running programs. I also opted for the extra external 3.5 inch floppy drive. (that way you didn't have to swap out floppies as much) The massive 13 inch color monitor went for 500 dollars and you could buy an additional 256k of memory for an additional 500 dollars as well. The extra 256k memory snapped into a compartment in the front and was the size of a large harmonica. A couple of years later some enterprising fella developed a memory board about 3 x 6 inches with one meg of memory that laid on top of the inside components and was hooked up with a couple of spring loaded jumpers (Michiagan Software in Novi, MI).I was now the proud owner of a system with 1.44 megs of memory! All this along with a fantastic nine pin dot matrix printer. They also had an external tuner you could hook up with cable or arial to watch tevevision on your monitor.

I still have the system and it still works. I unpacked it a few years ago and set it up for fun. I also have the first issue of the Amiga magazine they published each month for their system.

Amiga was ahead of its time for sure. I believe the UI was similar to what Apple eventually used years later. An interesting tid-bit of info on the Amiga 1000, their first model, was that inside the top cover had molded into the plastic all the names of the inventors and developers. I believe there were about 20 plus names.

I recall buying a spread sheet program named Analyze! It was an incredible spread sheet for its time and is similar to excel today. The developer was Steven J. Pagiarulo in West Palm Beach. DataRetrieve was another program similar to Microsoft's Access.

Some of the other programs I have are:

Jet

Balance of Power

Galileo

Silent Service

S-D-I (Sloan McCormic the Captain, Orbital Marines and Natalya Kazarian, the Commander, Soviet Space Arm)

Borrowed time

Mindshadow

Hacker

Flipside!

Articfox

Skyfox

One-on-One (basketball game with Julius Erving and Larry Bird)

and then the "sold separately" Gold Spell. (Spelling checker and corrector with 90,000 words!)

I had to dig all this out for nostalgia sake

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 9th, 2011 20:00

Speaking of the Amiga. I bought an Amiga 1000 ... I still have the system and it still works.  

This is what I had. I just un-boxed it the other day, hooked it up and made sure it all worked ... and gave it all away free to a guy at the local Amiga Users Group.

Complete Amiga 500 3meg System:
Amiga 500 (with 512K base RAM)
  A501 - 512K Ram expansion card (with clock and battery) in bottom slot
  1meg Agnus Chip
  ECS Denise
  Revision 6.x Motherboard
SupraDrive A500 (left side expansion box)
  40meg SCSI Quantum
  2megs Fast ram
Amiga 1080 Color Monitor
Amiga 1010 Floppy Disk Drive
ECE Midi Interface
Kickstart 2.x ROM
Workbench 2.04 OS
Lots of Apps and Games

What's cool, it that now-days you can run the WinUAE Emulator on Windows. Now I have an emulated Amiga3000 running KS/WB 3.x ... seems to run full speed on my Intel-i7 ... much faster than my A500 ever was. All the KS and WB disk images are out on the net. Also, the nicer apps ... and every game that you can imagine.

Not sure if your A1000 ended up with a NiCd battery inside it (on one of those add-in boards) ... but if it did ... you should probably solder in a new one. That's really the only thing killing the A500s. After all these years, the clock battery corrodes or leaks and damages the circuit boards.

757 Posts

October 9th, 2011 21:00

The 1000 didn't come with a battery but the 1 meg board, if I recall, did have one installed. As long as the original equipment isn't damaged I'll be happy. It all seemed to work fine a few years ago when I unpacked it for a few days.

I believe a group in Germany were the last to buy the Amiga rights after several attempts by other owners to revive the system. I think the German group finally gave up just about five years or so ago.

The 500 was a big step up from the 1000. The 68000 chip ran around 7 mhz  and gives you an idea of far and fast technology progresses.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/200083/inside_the_amiga_1000.html

http://www.justadventure.com/articles/Amiga/Amiga3.shtm

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 9th, 2011 22:00

I believe a group in Germany were the last to buy the Amiga rights after several attempts by other owners to revive the system. I think the German group finally gave up just about five years or so ago.

Looks like it might happen this time:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/mixed-signals-10000051/amiga-lives-amigaone-x1000-pc-hits-beta-10023987/

The 500 was a big step up from the 1000. The 68000 chip ran around 7 mhz  and gives you an idea of far and fast technology progresses.

In 1987 ... We had true 16-bit, multi-tasking OS, GUI mouse, full color, and digital stereo sound ... IBM clones had XT and AT machines, still running DOS. Looking back, similar to the first Macs (but they were only gray screen), but still pretty different.

No Events found!