Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 8th, 2013 22:00

Concerns over refurbished Aurora R4 ALX purchased

I figured a refurbished Aurora R4 ALX would be a decent purchase seeing that if it had had any issues, they would of been fixed. I hadn't purchased a Dell in years but before that I had bought  5 (4 from dell.com) and had never had any issues with any of those. My last  purchase had been in 2007 an Inspiron 530 that is still up and running.

I've never had an Alienware before so I don't know whats OK or not but I have to poke at the power button for a couple of tries until it turns on. I found that if I just press and hold the power button for a while its more likely to work than just a simple press. I don't know if that's how it should be or if I have a wonky button. A big/solid button like my previous PC or like the alienhead would of been nice.

Another issue: I made a new theme with everything blacked out in the default state including the lights for sleep mode and I have AlienFX set to "Go Dark" but sometimes a light blinks or turns on on its own.  Based on the AlienFX UI, Zone 7 has  randomly blinked  red about 3 times that I've seen with just a quick on/off but today I left the room for a few minutes, came back, Zone 3 was on with blue color. I ran the ePSA at boot but it didn't detect any problems.

Not a problem but annoyance, the orange light coming out from PC when its in sleep mode. Wish it would turn off.

Question: Are the top vents supposed to be at same level? the front vents open and  are higher than those at back.

835 Posts

May 10th, 2013 09:00

Sure, send me a private message when you are done testing to help you set up the repairs.

835 Posts

May 9th, 2013 10:00

Hello Panda_ET,

For the issue with the AlienFX, try re installing the command center, follow the steps in this article please:

How to uninstall and reinstall the Alienware Command Center? 

Now, about the vents, that's normal behaviour, nothing to worry about.

And about the power button, that will require part replacements, let's troubleshoot the AlienFX issue and I'll help you set up the repairs after that.

17 Posts

May 9th, 2013 15:00

Why don't the vents open properly? Surely thats not normal..

835 Posts

May 9th, 2013 16:00

Hi TommyDon,

The front vents always open a bit higher than the ones on the back, that's the way the design works.

8 Posts

May 10th, 2013 07:00

OK, I went ahead and followed the instructions but would like to give it a day or two to see if the problem is gone.

17 Posts

May 13th, 2013 11:00

Seems like poor design to me, that can't be right...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 13th, 2013 13:00

Seems like poor design to me, that can't be right...

I think a pic or video would go a long way in describing your concern.

17 Posts

May 15th, 2013 14:00

Don't have the R4 at the moment.

8 Posts

May 25th, 2013 08:00

Technician came over a few days ago with two huge boxes from Dell. He replaced the power button and IDK if he did any tinkering/replacement concerning the lighting issue but all is well. Took him about 2 hours. Big difference on button, it used to wobble from side to side but now its a firm press down.

1 Message

May 25th, 2013 18:00

LOL  Really?  Everyone wants to be a hardware designer now.  This is one of the best PC's I have ever seen.  Quiet, powerful, fast as the dickens and well designed. 

835 Posts

May 28th, 2013 16:00

Technician came over a few days ago with two huge boxes from Dell. He replaced the power button and IDK if he did any tinkering/replacement concerning the lighting issue but all is well. Took him about 2 hours. Big difference on button, it used to wobble from side to side but now its a firm press down.

We did send parts to fix the issue with the lights, he replaced the deffective part.

I'm very happy to hear everything is working fine.

No Events found!