Highlighted
Darkpool
2 Bronze

Connecting twin static pressure fans to Aurora R4 System Fan connector.

Jump to solution

I recently replaced the stock liquid cpu cooler in my Aurora R4 with a Corsair H80i. The Corsair pump works great and I have seen some dramatic reductions in temps, but the Corsair's twin fans (which connect into the pump block via a y splitter cable) are annoying loud on higher loads, a common complaint with the H80i system.

An easy solution is to replace the Corsair stock fans with the Noctua NF-12 PWM static pressure fans which have a dB(A) of only 22.4 vs. Corsair's. rating of 37.68 dB(A).

Each Noctua fan comes with a 4 pin Y cable so you can connect two NF-12's to a single 4pin  fan connector, so I was contemplating doing that.

If I connect the Noctua fans together with a Y cable to the Aurora's System Fan connector, is this safe to do and will I gain control of the twin Noctuas in the Alienware command center?

A single Noctua NF-12 fan draws a max of 0.5 amps. Twin amps connected together with a single Y splitter cable I assume would then draw a max of 1 amp from the System Fan connection. Can the system fan connection handle that power draw safely, within its design specs?

Aurora R4 - Standard Chassis

PSU: 875

Bios: A11

Video Card: GTX 760

Windows 7x64

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cass-Ole
4 Germanium

RE: Connecting twin static pressure fans to Aurora R4 System Fan connector.

Jump to solution
I don't know what will happen if you use the top lighting board connector for your fans power source, but your best bet is to look at the spec label on your old stock cooler fan; whatever amps the stock fan is rated at is probably the most amps you should draw through the top lighting board connector. Alienware settled on that stock fan for a reason; if they could have installed a higher amp fan they would have, since Dell/Alienware always seems to use a high power fan where as other oem's would have used a whimpier type to save on production costs. Alienware has already used the highest rated fans in & for our systems. If there's such a thing as a high-performance stock cooler option, you would browse online sources (eBay/google) to find what that fan's amp spec is, & assume your "wiring system" could handle the upgraded fan spec as well if an upgrade fan exists of course. Moving on, if CmnCntr does not sense your cooler pump is running (through the 7pin cpu pump connector), chances are it may not try to control fan rpm's. You'd have to test that, maybe get lucky. Short of some delicate retro-fitting of the stock cooler 7pin to the new h80 3pin ( tips: http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19454479.aspx ), for now, plug a fan into its top lighting board socket, see if its rpm's spin faster under a load when cpu temps rise ... it might tell you something about what CmndCntr does when it senses nothing over the 7pin ... good luck
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alienware-Naomi
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Hi!

That Cooling Pump hasn't been tested for the Aurora R4, so it might work properly but I can't guarantee. If it works correctly though, it will most likely not be recognized by the Alienware Command Center. 

Alienware-Naomi
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Darkpool
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi Naomi and  thanks for the reply!

Yes, the Corsair H80i pump does not show up in the command center as it does not connect into the CPU Pump connector but rather a usb connector. 

However, my question was, if I connect Noctua twin 120mm fans directly in to the System Fan connector, instead of the Corsair block pump. Is that safe to do with twin fans both drawing a max amp of 0.5 A for a total of 1 amp of the System Fan connector? And will I have control over these, or any fans connected to the System Fan connector in the Command Center?

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

I did some research on it, since this isn't a tested part for the Aurora R4 we don't know what the results and performance will be like, but there will probably be no control from the Command Center. Unfortunately, there's no way to confirm anything until you test it. 

Alienware-Naomi
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Cass-Ole
4 Germanium

Jump to solution
I don't know what will happen if you use the top lighting board connector for your fans power source, but your best bet is to look at the spec label on your old stock cooler fan; whatever amps the stock fan is rated at is probably the most amps you should draw through the top lighting board connector. Alienware settled on that stock fan for a reason; if they could have installed a higher amp fan they would have, since Dell/Alienware always seems to use a high power fan where as other oem's would have used a whimpier type to save on production costs. Alienware has already used the highest rated fans in & for our systems. If there's such a thing as a high-performance stock cooler option, you would browse online sources (eBay/google) to find what that fan's amp spec is, & assume your "wiring system" could handle the upgraded fan spec as well if an upgrade fan exists of course. Moving on, if CmnCntr does not sense your cooler pump is running (through the 7pin cpu pump connector), chances are it may not try to control fan rpm's. You'd have to test that, maybe get lucky. Short of some delicate retro-fitting of the stock cooler 7pin to the new h80 3pin ( tips: http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19454479.aspx ), for now, plug a fan into its top lighting board socket, see if its rpm's spin faster under a load when cpu temps rise ... it might tell you something about what CmndCntr does when it senses nothing over the 7pin ... good luck
0 Kudos
Darkpool
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for looking into this for me Naomi. The stock Alienware system fan is 12v at 1.4 amps, well above the Noctua, so I am confident twin Noctua fans running for a total of 10v at 1 amp won't damage the system. I'll post test results when I get the Noctua fans.

0 Kudos
Darkpool
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info and suggestion Cass-ole. The single stock alienware fan requires more power than twin Noctua fans combined, so I should be safe.

0 Kudos