Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2013 00:00

Continuation of M14x hinge defect thread

As the other thread relating to manufacturing defects with the M14x hinges has been close I feel its a good idea to open another so other M14x owners have an opportunity to document these issues. 

Dell has had massive problems with their smaller laptop hinges in the past (M11x), its well documented and hundreds of entries can be found on the internet. I think the M11x hinge issue only got fixed from so many people "complaining" that Dell had to step up to the plate and admit it was at fault. I think the same has to happen here, with this M14x Hinge issue. I sincerely hope that Chris M did not close the previous thread to prevent other M14x owers from documenting their problems.  

This may be a local issue, where were the faulty items sold, my son has a M14x R1 that's at least 18 months old, he uses it every day for homework and games and the hinge on that one is perfect, my sister has had a M14x R2 since about 1 week after they were released and that it perfect also, we're in Australia, thats why I asked about where the items were sold.  

Extremely good idea Telsa1856 has about the small packs designed to fix this issue - Pity no-one at Dell is listening :) 

If possible could we keep this thread only about new M14x Hinge issues and not badmouth dell or "complain" too much, we might have a better chance of the thread staying open that way.

Cheers all and goodluck with your M14's

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 19th, 2014 10:00

It is not a manufacturing flaw. It is considered wear and tear by both the Dell Legal team and the Alienware team. Dell will not fix these out of warranty M14x hinges for free. You will need to use the "Out of Warranty" repair service. This policy will not change regardless of how many threads are started.

Q: Why did Dell fix the M11x up to 6 months outside of the purchased warranty period but not other Alienware laptops?
A: The hinges on the the other Alienware Mx laptops were constructed differently than the hinges on the M11x. The M11x was flawed. We covered that one. According to the Alienware product team, the other laptops do not have systemic hinge failures. This was based on total sold versus number of hinge complaints. But, like any hardware that is under constant duress, it will fatigue due to general wear and tear. We do not define a hinge failure as defects in materials and workmanship. All other Alienware laptops must follow the restrictions of the Dell Wear and Tear policy.

Q: The onsite technician said that the hinges are a manufacturing defect?
A: An onsite technician cannot make a Dell policy decision. He cannot define a "manufacturing defect". All he can do is replace the parts we tell him to replace. We decide what a manufacturing defect is or is not.

Q: I bought the Alienware Accidental Damage warranty, Dell should fix these hinges!
A: What does the Alienware Accidental Damage cover?
Covered =
* Liquid spilled on or in unit
* Drops, falls, and other collisions
* Electrical surge

Not covered =
* Intentional acts of damage done by you or anyone else
* Fire
* Theft or loss
* Normal wear and tear (hinges, bent AC adapter cabling, keyboard keys)
* Consumables (batteries, LED's)

2 Posts

November 3rd, 2013 13:00

add another owner to the list to have the left side hinge failure. my daughters computer has now become unusable and is no longer under warranty.  the normal wear and tear line seems silly when all failure are on the left hinge! i buy computers for my company and have stuck with dell for many years but will likely start looking at other options after the service issues i have noticed in the past 18 months.

December 8th, 2013 12:00

First, thanks for reopening this thread. My son's M14x has also experienced the hinge problem, and after calling Dell, has received the same answer that is already well documented here and on other forums. It's clear to everyone who owns an M14x that this is a manufacturing flaw, and Dell should do something to fix it. Based on what I've read, I am not hopeful.

2 Posts

May 16th, 2014 22:00

My M14X left hinge just broke today, and after doing much research I see that I am one of many who now have had this happen.  I completely agree with all of you that this is definitely a manufacturing flaw and that it should be covered by Dell. 

2 Posts

May 19th, 2014 10:00

Sorry but I disagree.  Because it has been the left hinge for so many owners, this undoubtedly is a flaw.  I guess when enough people come forward then maybe Dell will then see the problem and step forward to correct the problem.  

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 19th, 2014 11:00

You can certainly disagree, but our policy will not change.

May 19th, 2014 12:00

My son's Alienware, which he was paying off himself, had the left hinge break. Or to be clear, the structure behind the hinge. The hinges were too rigid for the plastic it was mounted to. This happened maybe a year, year and a half ago, so I started monitoring this thread to see if there would be any movement from the makers of this . Late last year, it became clear to me that Dell wouldn't budge, even at the cost of some customers. So I stopped waiting and bought him a refurbished assembly which he and I put together. This one is no better, so he just leaves the thing open so it won't break again. Oh, and he bought other for everyday use. I find it incredible and more than a little arrogant that Dell refuses to acknowledge this flaw. Bad customer service never turns out well, and Dell will eventually pay the price.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 15th, 2014 15:00

Locked due to age (May 19) of last reply. Start a new thread.

No Events found!