Highlighted
Not applicable

DVD rw drive in M18x not reading any dvd or cd.

Jump to solution

Hi there. Hoping I can get some help with this I purchased my Alienware m18xr2 back in July of this year and have never really used the DVD or CD drives until this weekend and found I could not read any DVD's or CD's tried DVD movies and data DVD's also the same with CD's. The DVD drive in question is a HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GA31N. It shows up in my computer and device manager and bios saying its working correctly but when I insert a CD or DVD it accepts it in the slot load makes a noise as if the laser is positioning but the CD or DVD does not spin up. I have read through forums on how to fix the issue I have tried updating the firmware to the latest and that did not resolve the problem. Tried doing a complete power down and startup running diagnostics even with alien autopsy it finds no errors and at the moment I am at a loss as I may need to format soon and the windows dvd does not read in the drive.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

RE: DVD rw drive in M18x not reading any dvd or cd.

Jump to solution

Hi Blakegvejones,

Thank you for checking if the DVD drive is detected in BIOS and Windows and appreciate the trouble shooting steps tried. Since it is detected in BIOS and Windows, I request you to click on the link below and Microsoft run Fix and the issue should be resolved:

http://dell.to/1dUPDGj

Revert for further queries.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Sujatha

tried this fix with no luck it ran the detection but still could not read anything I swapped between different dvd and cd's and ran the test a few times all with the same result. (Media in cd/dvd drive not readable - not fixed)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello Blakegvejones!

As an additional fix you can follow the steps on this article

Alienware-Milena
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went into the article and went to place in regedit but I could not find any upperfilter or lowerfilter entries in the entry in the regedit.

Is there any other idea. My alien autopsy tells me its working but still not getting it to run any cd or dvd

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi again.

Sorry to be of trouble but really struggling with this. I have been searching the internet jumping from forum to forum to see what others have done to help resolve the dvd drive not reading issues. I have now upgraded my BIOS to the latest version to see if that would help looked for the upper and lower filters you mentioned and that also did not help.

I ran the pre windows diagnostic tools on the laptop and it says all the test are passed and my dvd rom gets a green tick next to it but yet still no luck with any cd's or dvd's I have been trying now multiple versions of dvd and cd's store bought music cd's and mp3 cd's original dvd movies and game dvd's so far still not getting any results it loads into the slot correctly just does not spin up or read.

I'm at a loss at what it could be.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

could you please send me a Private message with your service tag or express service code so we could find another solution for you. 

Alienware-Milena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have done as requested

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you for all the help had a technician come through and change out the dvd writer. really appreciate it.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You are more than welcome! 

Alienware-Milena
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos