Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2013 04:00

DVD rw drive in M18x not reading any dvd or cd.

Hi there. Hoping I can get some help with this I purchased my Alienware m18xr2 back in July of this year and have never really used the DVD or CD drives until this weekend and found I could not read any DVD's or CD's tried DVD movies and data DVD's also the same with CD's. The DVD drive in question is a HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GA31N. It shows up in my computer and device manager and bios saying its working correctly but when I insert a CD or DVD it accepts it in the slot load makes a noise as if the laser is positioning but the CD or DVD does not spin up. I have read through forums on how to fix the issue I have tried updating the firmware to the latest and that did not resolve the problem. Tried doing a complete power down and startup running diagnostics even with alien autopsy it finds no errors and at the moment I am at a loss as I may need to format soon and the windows dvd does not read in the drive.

• 

2.7K Posts

September 9th, 2013 13:00

could you please send me a Private message with your service tag or express service code so we could find another solution for you. 

• 

3.3K Posts

September 9th, 2013 04:00

Hi Blakegvejones,

Thank you for checking if the DVD drive is detected in BIOS and Windows and appreciate the trouble shooting steps tried. Since it is detected in BIOS and Windows, I request you to click on the link below and Microsoft run Fix and the issue should be resolved:

http://dell.to/1dUPDGj

Revert for further queries.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 9th, 2013 06:00

Hi Sujatha

tried this fix with no luck it ran the detection but still could not read anything I swapped between different dvd and cd's and ran the test a few times all with the same result. (Media in cd/dvd drive not readable - not fixed)

• 

2.7K Posts

September 9th, 2013 09:00

Hello Blakegvejones!

As an additional fix you can follow the steps on this article

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 9th, 2013 09:00

I went into the article and went to place in regedit but I could not find any upperfilter or lowerfilter entries in the entry in the regedit.

Is there any other idea. My alien autopsy tells me its working but still not getting it to run any cd or dvd

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 9th, 2013 12:00

Hi again.

Sorry to be of trouble but really struggling with this. I have been searching the internet jumping from forum to forum to see what others have done to help resolve the dvd drive not reading issues. I have now upgraded my BIOS to the latest version to see if that would help looked for the upper and lower filters you mentioned and that also did not help.

I ran the pre windows diagnostic tools on the laptop and it says all the test are passed and my dvd rom gets a green tick next to it but yet still no luck with any cd's or dvd's I have been trying now multiple versions of dvd and cd's store bought music cd's and mp3 cd's original dvd movies and game dvd's so far still not getting any results it loads into the slot correctly just does not spin up or read.

I'm at a loss at what it could be.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 9th, 2013 23:00

I have done as requested

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 14th, 2013 00:00

Thank you for all the help had a technician come through and change out the dvd writer. really appreciate it.

• 

2.7K Posts

September 16th, 2013 07:00

You are more than welcome! 

1 Message

June 19th, 2014 16:00

Hi Blake - Noticed that you had a problem with the optical drive in your Alienware Dell laptop about a year ago. Did you fix it by replacing the drive, or was there a more advanced fix with the motherboard? 

Thanks!

2 Posts

January 1st, 2015 14:00

Hi there, it looks like I have exactly the same problem.

Would you please help me?

I've sent my Express Service Tag via private

No Events found!