Onnie23
1 Copper

Dell Tech messed up my x51

My x51 all of a sudden, got stuck in the "power save mode". Everything went fine with the unit then (lights and fan on), connections, it's just that it won't boot or windows won't start up. Called dell tech support, tried everything he told me (check cables, power on and off, etc) got the same problem still. He thought there might be a problem with the video card, and so he ordered a replacement and scheduled a tech to replace the video card. Today the tech came, and I was shocked and my heart was like pounded by a hammer looking at him having a hard time removing the left cover. At that time I didn't know either how to remove it, but I know for sure he was doing it wrong cause he was about to break it trying to open it using a screwdriver by the corners. He then changed the videocard, he took more than 30 mins to replace the new videocard as he was bothered by that small black clip that popped out after he removed the card, trying to figure out where to put it. And he was also having a hard time putting the videocard back as the holes for the screws were not aligned, he just pound with his hands the metal that holds the card, forcing it. After 45 mins of maneuver, he then admitted that he doesn't know anything about Alienware x51, and I was like "wow" how did you got your job from dell? Well, the problem wasn't fix. He called tech support for reinforcement, the agent was from India and we were both listening to her, they were arguing about some things that I don't understand <TOU Violation>. So then, they just gave me a number and call Alienware team tech support, and then the technician left. I wasted my time and the techs time. I called Alienware team whatever, they said they gonna send a new tech that who will replace the motherboard. And then I turned on the unit, this time there's no more lights at the sides, and I couldn't hear the fans anymore. And I just thought the tech just made things worse for my x51. So depressing. I'm starting to hate dell now. I'm thinking of returning or better yet throw this away in the garbage and refund my money. Please I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bills889
2 Iron

Re: Dell Tech screwed up my x51

Wow that <TOU Violation>, but the lights are an easy fix. To take the side panel off you need to take off the 2 screws on the back than SLIDE the panel back and then lift. The tech wasn't sliding the panel but trying to pop it off! Once you take it off, there is a small cable from the side panel that connects somewere near the cpu. It's a short cable so it shouldnt be hard to find. once connected boot her back up and lights will work. Otherwise yes, I dont blame you for requesting a refund i have had problems with my x51 as well (mainlly order problems not tech).

My Alienware x51 -  Core i7 2600, EVGA GTX 660Ti, 8GB RAM, Crucial m4 256GB SSD (replaces HDD for better cooling)

0 Kudos
ShiroEily
1 Nickel

It's not that easy to get a refund. I have been calling them to get a refund and they keep insist that they send a technician over and fix it. Now they are telling me they ordered some parts and it got delayed. I'm very mad with the product and the service as well.

0 Kudos

@Onnie23

That's very disheartening. If I was you, I would get a replacement. But, in the meantime and if you feel up to it, there's documentation on this Dell Community site which is detailed step by step on how to remove the left panel and uninstall/reinstall your X51 GTX. I would be curious to check and see if it was done correctly. Perhaps, the onsite technician could had used a print out. 😉

0 Kudos