Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2012 08:00

Disappointed and Distressed

To Whom this may concern,
Let me first start off by saying that this is my last chance to get help regarding this issue so I am hoping that someone can offer some help by offering advice on what I should do, who I should contact, etc...  I am sorry about the long read on this but I needed the history of this before I could get to the actual problem at hand.
I bought a Dell XPS 710 sometime in 2006 or 2007 for $2563.41.   This purchase came with the 5 year accidental in home service protection package that they offered at the time.  Since owning that product I've had horrible luck and on top of that I have had horrible service.  I have had at least 3 people computer to my home within the first 6-10 months of owning the original product replacing just about everything in the computer to finally state that it is not repairable and that they would replace the item.  I am not sure if anyone has gone through a replacement with Dell but I can tell you that I have 7 times since initially buying my product in 2006-2007.  They product replacement path basically looks like this XPS710 > XPS710 (discontinued)> XPS720 (discontinued)> XPS730 (discontinued) > XPS730 (discontinued) > Alienware Area 51 (discontinued) > Alienware Aurora R4.
Each time before getting the product replaced I would be down for about 1-3 weeks so dell could make their failed attempts to repair the unit.  On several occasions I have had to help the advisor out with the repair by either holding a light so he could see in the dark corners of the computer, carry up product from his car because he physically was not able to do this himself and on top of that there was a power supply that was installed that made a breaker in my circuit box break causing an outage in that certain area of my house until I replaced out of my own pocket.  Once they failed to repair the item it would then take another 3-5 weeks to actually get the new replacement computer.  Several times orders for these replacements were setup wrong so when I actually received the new computer I had to then wait for upgraded parts to be sent out because it wasn't setup correctly in the first place.
With that said I would have between 4-8 weeks of downtime per computer given to me by dell. You combine that time with 6 computer replacements and I have had a total downtime of around 6-12 months out of 5 years.  So really i've had a working product for only 4 of the 5 years.  This doesn't even include the current mess I am in right now with Dell/Alienware or the lies I have had to deal with along the way.  
This brings me to my current situation.  The Alienware Aurora R4.  This computer was sent to me I believe in January 2012.  The computer I had prior to the Aurora R4 was the Area 51 which had 2x 1.5GB GTX 580 nVidea graphic cards, Intel i7 980 Processor and 8GB of 1600 Mhz memory.  When I was told they would be replacing the Area 51 with the Aurora R4 I was concerned because the GPU on the Area 51 was outstanding when it was actually working but the Aurora's GPU configuration did not offer the Dual GTX 580 video cards like my current model did.  I have a 3 display setup that was super easy to use with the GTX 580's that I had.  When I told the advisor issuing the replacement this he said he would make sure I received the dual GTX 580's that I had currently.  So I sent back the Area 51 desktop and received my Aurora R4 desktop.  
The original specs I received with the Aurora R4 desktop was a Intel i7 3930k Processor,  only 6GB of 1333 Mhz memory, and a dual 1gb ATI Redeon 6870.  Clearly it was a performance increase in the processor but a huge performance decrease in both the ram and the GPU.  I called instantly to complain that I was lied to.  After spending hours on the phone I finally got what I was promised.   2x 1.5 GB GTX 580 and they actually sent me out 16GB of 1600 Mhz memory instead of the originally 8 I was promised due to my inconvenience.
Now the problem....  The 2x 1.5 GB GTX 580 required more power then the measly 650 Watt Power Supply they sent me supplied.  So I was having video kernel panics, complete random power loss, video clipping and/or complete video failure, among many other problems that comes about when your computer's components require more power then what it is able to provide through the power supply.  So again I was forced to call.  I spoke to someone that said they would need to research what options they were able to provide me.  While they made the decision I decided in the meantime to go ahead and just go back to the original setup of the dual ATI 6870's so I could at least use my computer.  I was suppose to send those back to their depot but I was not about to give up the GTX 580's or the current video card setup that actually worked until they provided me with a proper solution. 
Finally, I was offered by the manager in tech support 2 options.  Option 1 was a full refund for my original purchase (2563.41 which he verified) or option 2 they would send out a single ATI Radeon 6970 graphics card which they tried to tell me would give me better or even the same graphic performance as the Dual 1.5 GB GTX 580 video cards I had presently.  I happen to know a lot about computers and I also am an avid fan of cnet and other source information regarding computer components and I know for a fact that a single ATI Radeon 6970 does not come close to the GPU performance that a Dual 1.5 GB GTX 580 setup can do.  They stated that they were not able to upgrade my computers power supply unless I chose to pay for that upgrade myself.  I made my decision solely on the fact that I have had 7 computer replacements from dell/alienware in 5 years along with the fact that my wife pointed out that I would soon be out of warranty, so I decided to take the cash out option which I would then use to just build myself a computer.
I advised the tech support agent that was helping me that I would like the cash out option and not another repair/replacement part.  I explained my reasons to him and he seemed as if he completely understood.  He stated that he processed my refund and I should get it with in 10-14 business days once I returned the Aurora R4.  Later that week I received the packing slip in the mail to return the Aurora R4.  
I placed the Aurora R4, the replacement graphic cards, the replacement ram, dell/alienware keyboards (multiple),  dell/alienware mice (multiple), several owner manuals from the previous computers  including installation discs, and anything else I could find of Dells or alienware  products in the massive box the originally computer was shipped in.  I secured everything in the box with newspaper I was going to recycle anyways and taped it all up.  I placed both the shipping label for the computer and the shipping label for the graphic cards on the box making sure they were side by side and over any existing shipping label so it could be clearly seen that there was 2 shipping labels.  Both shipping labels had the same return address and so I figured i was saving space, time and package material along with the chance of either box to be lost in the mail.  I dropped it off at my local Mail biz which sends out fedex and ups drop offs.   I sent this out the 2nd week of february.  I called the advisor after sending the unit out and he told me he would make sure the refund was sent as soon as the computer scanned in.
Mail Biz 
(removed)
Loomis, CA 95650 
3 weeks passed by before I called again.  I asked the agent if the check was sent.  He confirmed the check was sent but stated that the check was sent to my physical address (removed, CA) where I could not receive mail at.  I told him that I would not be able to get the refund because I did not have a mailbox outside of my house.  I provided him a physical address that he could send it to (Removed CA).  The agent apologized and said he would escalate this to his manager and he would have another check sent out as soon as possible.  I took his word for it and then waited another week before calling to make sure another check was sent out.  I spoke to someone different who stated they sent the check but this time it was sent to the original purchasing address (Removed Ca) which was in southern california where I no longer reside.  Again I got this case escalated to his manager who stated he would correct my address in the system and then would email the agent that was handling the refund.  The manager confirmed the amount being sent out as $2563.41.  
I did not receive a call or an email from the agent after about another week passed.  I called in and got a hold of someone that provided me the agent's email that I was working with regarding my refund.  I emailed him asking him why i did not receive the check.  He stated the following.  I have since then followed up with him and not had any replies back.
"After the analysis I’ve been doing Sr I found that the account is On-Hold, besides there’s a missing tracking number they need in order to process the refund, therefore the credit has not been processed Sr. Since we are from Technical Support and not billing or customer care let me tell you that the best way to fix this problem is to call the following phone number since they have all the databases and everything that happened and they will assist you better than Tech Support Sr.

Phone number is: 1-800-624-9897 (Choose Billing from the menu)

L1 Technical Support Agent
Dell  | Alienware Technical Support
My work schedule is 9 am - 6 pm CST Sun  to Thu.  
"

So now its the middle of March by the time I get this email stating that my account is on hold because of a missing tracking number.  This was never brought up to me before.   So I called the number that is provided.....  The number is wrong.  I got transferred around a few times to different departments, disconnected a few times from being transferred and then finally I am referred to Billing support for Employee / Exchange services.  I spoke with several agents that were not very friendly and not at all helpful.  I requested to speak to several managers and who stated that they would need the tracking number to the computer (alienware  Area 51) that I returned back in February.    I explained the situation to them.  Explaining that this was over a month ago that I had sent out the alienware computer along with many other items and that I did not have any information because it was a drop off and Mail biz does not track outgoing drop off packages. I explained to the managers that I was told the check was already sent multiple times so I assumed that the products were already received and there was no problems but now suddenly there is a problem which I was just made aware of almost 2 months later.  

They told me to contact the place I sent out the items to see again if they could provide me a tracking number.  So once again I called Mail Biz in my area and again they explained that they do not track drop off's unless I had paid for the drop off to be sent back to dell.  Obviously I didn't pay for it since it was a pre-paid postage drop off and so I called them back and advised them of this.  I was told that if I needed them to write out saying that they remember me dropping off the alienware computer they would do that for me.  I explained that it may be necessary but I am hoping that it doesn't need to come down to that.
I spoke with another few more advisors one of which was John M. (Employee# removed) and his manager S omnath B. who finally said he would contact the depot that accepts the returned items to see if they could track down the return and then get back to me in 3-4 business days.  Its been about 3 weeks.  No one has called me back.   I have emailed them all;  managers, several agents including the one that originally placed the order and anyone else I had contact information for.  No one has responded back to my emails in weeks.  I do not have call back information for them only emails.

Agent/manager that submitted the refund:  (removed)@DELL.com 

Manager that said he or Alfredo would contact me after investigating the return depot:   (removed)@dell.com
Agent that escalated me to his manager :  (removed) @dell.com

My Assumption on the situation which I explained to the above agents and managers:
I could only assume that they only scanned in the graphic card shipping label and not the computer's shipping label as well.  They stated they received the graphic cards but not the computer even though both were in the same box massive alienware box that my computer originally came in.  
So what did they do with the "Extra" equipment that was sent to them in the graphic cards shipping label'd box?  They sure as heck did not return it back to me, so what did they do?
To sum everything up:
So now I am without a computer.... I am without a refund which I was promised for the computer I sent back..... No one that I spoke to that is suppose to be working with me on this case is responding to my emails... Every time I call now I am referred to the same people that are not calling me back or responding to my emails.  I am basically at a loss of what I should do at this point.
I need help.... I feel like Dell stole my money and /or my computer and there is nothing I could do about it.

Please help me...

April 17th, 2012 10:00

Again me putting items in a single box wasn't just to save dell money. It was to make tracking a single package which had everything in it easier for them and also making it easier to ensure my account was cleared up because they wouldn't have to track down several packages to get the same stuff that I was able to put in 1 package.

I still haven't heard anything regarding a resolution.  I am hoping to at least get a call letting me know they are investigating this so I know they are at least trying to work on it.

April 17th, 2012 11:00

Hey Chris,

Can you please let me know what violations there are against the TOU so I know in the future but also so I can correct the violations?

Thanks,

-Josh

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 18th, 2012 08:00

The violations were already replaced with -

Just look in your past post for that comment.

April 18th, 2012 11:00

Hmm.... I see.   I will have to review the TOU a bit closer the next time I write something. 

Thanks for the changes made.  

***Update*** I still have not received any follows up from any of the folks I have emailed.  I have emailed them once a day since saturday and no one has responded back to me (along with several attempts prior to that).  It is obvious that I am not going to get anywhere.   With that being said does anyone know if I have any rights regarding my situation?  Currently,  Dell has my computer and my refund neither of which they will give to me. 

I have email correspondence from the Dell Advisor stating I would be getting a refund.  I also have email history showing that I have been sending them email nearly every day trying to get an update.  All of which have been ignored.  

Does anyone know if the better business bureau handles these types of cases and if so is it worth contacting them?  Does anyone know any of the legal or filing expenses if I can bring my case to them? 

Any advice would be great.    Thanks in advance.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 19th, 2012 06:00

All I can say is keep emailing them. They have taken ownership of this and asked me to step aside.

348 Posts

April 19th, 2012 15:00

Chris has said they have are looking into it, since this is your point of contact, I can understand them not emailing, and expecting you to standby.

This is in no way a legal opinion or provided as advice, this is just how I would see it from dell's side was it my business.

I asked you to send 2 packages back, and arranged couriers for 2 packages.

You put 2 into one packet.

The courier was expecting 1 barcode, so has scanned the one label and then UPS apply their own labels, and this becomes the sole label they scan, any others are ignored. So 1 package, 1 barcode, 1 tracked, which happens to be the cards.

You inform my rep you sent it back all in 1 go, they agree to a refund pending receipt of said package. The package is received, and they push the refund.

The refund arrives at my desk for me to sign off, I note we are expecting 2 packages and only 1 arrived, so I reject the refund.

This is where you are stuck, and honestly this point is totally on you.

Now assuming this was my multi-national, and all returns are processed by a 3rd / 4th / 5th company,

Route 1 is collection and sorting centre, they ship them to a dismantling company to break them into parts which then get shipped to my parts centre where they are scanned onto the system.

Route 2 is a collection and sorting as above, only this time systems are shipped testing company, and prepare them for my outlet shop, then they are shipped to outlet and put onto the system.

Route 3 is the collection and sorting, who have a package which contents don't match the RMA, these are put to one side until someone can manually sort them, build and inventory and resume route 1+2.  Once the correct inventory is built and sent to me, to find out what is happening. I would then pass it onto my rep, who needs to contact parts and outlet to verify all which was received, and contact the registered owner.  

Up until one of these routes is played out, as far I would be concerned, you still have the missing item, only suddenly pop there it is scanned into parts and outlet, it comes back to me to verify and ok your payment.

So now you contact me while the package is still in the collection and sorting centre, I now need track down the package for a visual inspection because the barcodes YOU provided say its only graphics cards, so I need to get eyes on the package.

This seems to be where you would be upto if you bought off me and returned it this way.

All I can say is, Chris has confirmed your case has been taken up, and assuming Dell run their company like I  would, its going to take a little time, which isn't really Dell's fault to be blunt.

While I'm with you they offered a refund, and should go thru with it, I'm also with them that you complicated the process so you should wait to be fair.

Again go be clear this is NOT legal advice, I'm not a solicitor, but I'd say legal the ball is in your court to prove you sent the item and didn't just sell it and try and rip dell off. The refund was on condition you returned the items, which the courier says they never collected, so legally you'd be hard pushed in my untrained opinion.

Be patient and give Dell a chance to work through the situation you have a significant part in creating, you have to accept some responsibility for the delays here.

April 20th, 2012 08:00

Ceno,

I completely understand where you are coming from.  If that is the process I can see now why it would take as long as it has.  However, We are talking about 3 months now.  I am not sure about you but I would think the issue would be resolved by now.  Also the lack of communication is what irks me.  I would be fine waiting if they would just contact me and let me know what they are doing.  As of right now I feel like a forgotten customer where they have control of my PURCHASED computer and my money neither of which they are willing to part with at this time.  

As far as my mistake.  I fully admitted my mistake / part in this.  However, I am not a billion $ company.  I am a loyal customer that has had 1 problem after another and has had over a year of downtime in the 5 years of owning their products.  I am also the customer that has had no previous history of not having any issues with returns of their equipment when they did 6 other replacements (7th being the one I just recently sent them).  

I understand having to wait for a small period of time regarding this issue while they hunt down the product/products that I shipped back to their depot / dismantling stations.  My fear however, is that they opened up the big box packed with alienware equipment and just started to sort it out and dismantle without "setting it side due to the RMA being wrong" as you put it.  If that is the case what then?  The other question is why wouldn't they just send it back to the the sender if the contents were wrong?  Had they done that I would have been able to correct my mistake and then sent it back in 2 packages vs 1.

Again,  my thought was to simplify the return by making sure both tracking labels for both returns were in the same box to make it easier on getting everything cleared up.  Everything in 1 box ensured that everything got there without needing to hunt down the other package.  Or at least that was what I thought.  Stupid as it may sound (yes indeed it was stupid) it was the choice I made.  Part of me understands that they may not return my computer or even give me my refund from a business standpoint as you stated but the other part of me is like what the heck! I gave them money, I held up my end of the bargain and now I have nothing to show for my purchase.  Now obviously the feeling of being cheated or even that I made a stupid mistake I am being punished even though in the end they actually have possession of the computer and graphic cards but due to their massive size a small little bump by sending in 1 big package vs 2 small packages gets crushed without even realizing it.

I guess in the end I am just hoping for someone in dell to actually have a little compassion and understanding about my situation even thought this mess was caused by a small lapse of common sense on my part.  

No Events found!