Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2015 04:00

Does Area 51-R2 motherboard support NVMe SSD via PCIe?

Does Area 51-R2 motherboard support NVMe SSD such as Intel 750, Samsung SM951 NVMe, HP Turbo Z G2?

124 Posts

December 6th, 2015 10:00

sounds like the migration tool did not wipe out your SSD after migration. This causes problems when you want to reformat that SSD. You might have to open up windows repair and go into CMD and reformat it that way. On the Mac note...I have both. Windows 8 came out I dumped windows and just stayed with Apple until windows 10 came out...now I am back...Have apple and Microsoft so I have the best of both worlds

13 Posts

December 6th, 2015 10:00

I went with the 512 950 Pro, which was on a pretty good sale for Black Friday. I also used the Lycom card, which cost about $16. This, in the 4x slot... haven't tried any other slots yet.

Not sure about the BIOS setting, as the Alienware BIOS is still a bit perplexing to me. But it does show as the boot drive from the Win GUI.

Also, the Samsung migration utility did change some of the drive (and I assume BIOS) settings, as part of the migration process. It did, for example, change the designation of the NVMe drive to the "C" drive, at the tail end of the migration process. After I rebooted, it would not allow me to have my old SSD (the 128 SATA that came with my A51) running at the same time as the NVMe. One I shut things down and removed the old 128 SATA, all was good. I will play with a few things to get that tiny SATA SSD running later, but not concerned at the moment as this system now already has three SSDs in it (512 NVMe and 2x 960GB SATA).

So, in other words, I ran the samsung migration utility, removed the old drive, and all was good. I'll go back and tweak things in the BIOS later, to see if it can get my old tiny SSD up, or I'll just reformat from another system?

Oh, and did I mention that this NVMe is screaming fast? Really, there is a noticeable speed improvement over the 128GB SATA that my A51 shipped with. 

Again, I'm pretty rusty with Windows, having primarily been a Mac guy for the last 25 or so years.

124 Posts

December 6th, 2015 11:00

Actually there is a warning with Samsung Migration  that it will delete your source drive after a successful migration.

13 Posts

December 6th, 2015 12:00

Ha, I didn't notice that. And frankly, the dive may have been wiped, for all I know. Mostly, I know the the system didn't reboot with both drives in it.

A classic case of RTFM, that could have gone very badly, I guess? LOL

6 Posts

April 3rd, 2016 04:00

Always not again bios for it sm-951 nmve...
It's a pity I am going to be obliged to resell it...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 3rd, 2016 13:00

hope it works out in the long run for you. Should just be able to stick a USB drive and load the OS with  no problems....Never happens =(

I think you might need what we used to call a "F6 Floppy Driver"... like if you had a special RAID controller (or even clean-install to Intel on-board in RAID-Mode on bare-metal). This should allow Windows install to find the drive in a PCIe slot for NVMe.
Just a guess.

124 Posts

April 3rd, 2016 13:00

This is an older thread, I returned it and bought a 850 pro and never looked back

41 Posts

April 11th, 2016 04:00

I wonder if someone with a much greater knowledge of modding BIOS settings could use the above method to get the NVMe drivers to load during startup?? But unless Dell/Alienware create a bios update with NVMe boot up support i assume a PCIeSSD can only be used as storage... NOT BOOT drive?

62 Posts

April 11th, 2016 07:00

I too have installed the Hyper X PCie SSD card. Works fine, doesn't get the speeds the other ones would get but I'm hoping Alienware will fix the bios so we all can install that drive. 

SSD after Clean Install HyperX Day2.JPG

124 Posts

April 11th, 2016 07:00

The hyper X predator pci ssd work for boot. its not a NVMe boot . but you can boot from Pcie , that is verified because I have done it

41 Posts

April 11th, 2016 08:00

Did you have to change any settings in the BIOS? is it a simple clone of OS to the hypX-PCIe and then F12 on boot to select that drive, apologies for my lack of knowledge, in time i hope to fully understand the BIOS settings and protocols.

thanks for your comments

124 Posts

April 11th, 2016 09:00

Here is a link to my thread comparing three different SSD, hyper X , 950 pro, 850 pro...tried them all en.community.dell.com/.../19659847

124 Posts

I did a fresh install, I removed all drives, and installed the hyper X and bios recognized it:...it was very simple. I ended up returning the drive because it wasn't worth the price .....nothing really fancy

6 Posts

I have to clone my disk sata on Kingston, it started above with no problem at all then.

41 Posts

April 12th, 2016 15:00

Thanks @w8lifts

No Events found!