Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2012 13:00

Drivers for Nvidia 660 OEM for X51?

Hey everyone, does any know if there's a Nvidia driver for the 660 OEM for the X51? I installed a SSD into my X51 and I'm trying to find a driver for the graphics card. The one on Nvidia's site refuses to install because it can't find compatible hardware, and Dell does not have it on either their resource CD or their website. If anyone could point me to a download, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

406 Posts

August 30th, 2012 03:00

Yes it's Windows 7 64-bit.

perfect thanks!!! is it a windows 7 driver , x64?  x32?

406 Posts

i havnt tested it as at work will do when i get home

If the driver doesn't work for you please post your Device Instance Path for your 660 and I'll get you fixed up, to find out how to find the path read post #5 in this thread.

exellent good work - for future what did you change

131 Posts

August 30th, 2012 04:00

Whoops, here's a link:

www.dell.com/.../alienware-x51

Their link still doesn't work for me:

3051.Clipboard01.jpg

2.4K Posts

August 30th, 2012 04:00

i havnt tested it as at work will do when i get home

If the driver doesn't work for you please post your Device Instance Path for your 660 and I'll get you fixed up, to find out how to find the path read post #5 in this thread.

@Sajin1337

I thought I saw your name. Had to say hi and how's it hangin

@everyone else

He knows his stuff so you can trust him

August 30th, 2012 05:00

Server Error in '/support/drivers' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /support/drivers/DriversError/DownloadError

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.547

dead from UK

Do they have FTP? or can you host on another link

2.4K Posts

I get the same.  If it was me I would learn what Sajin is doing because someday Dell wil not support it. Just a thought.

I actually know what needs to be done having already done it many times ;-) but I want these OEM divers so I can figure out how to make any 600 series desktop card work fully with Optimus on the X51 then we will have fully working systems without having to put up with Dell's shoddy download servers.

They are working on the sever. Just keep trying.

what needs doing then? does Sajai drivers have optimus working with the intel card?

131 Posts

what needs doing then? does Sajai drivers have optimus working with the intel card?

The non-OEM drivers do not copy or set up the DLL extensions needed for the right-click context menu "Run with graphics processor..." - this allows you to quickly from the application icon choose which GPU to use, the Intel or nVidia, or to set its default. At the moment you can only do this by setting/amending the profile in the nVidia control panel. I know Optimus is working, I just would like the extra bit - if you have something like the 670GTX you can enable the menu in the control panel but it doesn't appear.

Now once I get hold of the new Dell 660 driver I can see what that does and amend the nVidia v306 drivers to do the same - I thought about using the Dell 555 card drivers but I can't be certain it's the same for the 600 series so thought it best to wait.

131 Posts

I get the same.  If it was me I would learn what Sajin is doing because someday Dell wil not support it. Just a thought.

I actually know what needs to be done having already done it many times ;-) but I want these OEM divers so I can figure out how to make any 600 series desktop card work fully with Optimus on the X51 then we will have fully working systems without having to put up with Dell's shoddy download servers.

2.4K Posts

Whoops, here's a link:

www.dell.com/.../alienware-x51

Their link still doesn't work for me:

3051.Clipboard01.jpg

Another peice of advice and you can take this one to the bank. Do not buy any GPU from an OEM like Dell that is not reference design because of driver support. If it's not reference the Nvidia or AMD drivers will not install. Sooner or later someone will release a game that you want to play but you wil need a new driver for it. Dell wil not have that driver. If Dell stops selling the GTX 660 in 4 months ( random numbers to make a point ) then they will also stop supporting it with drivers.

131 Posts

August 30th, 2012 07:00

Do they have FTP? or can you host on another link

Looks like they do: ftp://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00547772M/6/GFX_A00_301.42_VHXPX_Setup_ZPE.exe

For pete's sake Dell, get your act together - why not make these links available in case of issues with your website?!

August 30th, 2012 08:00

pulling down now

406 Posts

August 30th, 2012 13:00

@Sajin1337

I thought I saw your name. Had to say hi and how's it hangin

Hey buddy. I'm doing great. I see you're still helping out a lot around here.

No Events found!