Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2011 06:00

Dual ATI Radeon HD 6950 question on Alienware Aurora R3

So, i've ordered an Alienware Aurora R3 which came the other day. The problem is, when I look inside, it has only 1 Ati Radeon HD 6950. The video card itself is occupying all the PCIe slots and I don't have any PCIe slots available for another card, even if I want one. Initially I thought ok, this is how they make dual video cards now, under 1 hood..but then I googled and it seems people have 2 of those installed on their computers. Now I'm really baffled since I don't know if Dell made a mistake or I am stupid. Do I have a single card or dual card? When I google the Ati Radio 6950 HD, all searches come up with the same picture, a 2 slot form video card.

Tnx in advance

91 Posts

I'm pretty positive you're supposed to receive 2 graphics cards. [View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP3-bl2hCG8] (isn't me, but I found it with a little bit of googling). However, I will also mention that when I got one of my 'newer' replacement ALX's, I got dual 2gb ATI Radeon HD 6950's crossfirex; which indeed did have TWO graphics cards, not a single...

18 Posts

Yep definitely should have two. And you 100% do have additional PCIe slots available.

9 Posts

June 25th, 2011 08:00

I think I have an additional slot available, but it's under the video card...100% you can't put another card in paralel, it's physically impossible

9 Posts

June 25th, 2011 10:00

nop, it's only one..device manager shows 1...3dmark benchmarks says 1...physically it's just 1...and no room for another if I want to..I think Alienware has 2 mobo's versions, 1 for crossfire/sli and normal one with just 2x PCIe...i think I have the latter...let's say I have been given the wrong setup after waiting 2 months ...

757 Posts

June 25th, 2011 10:00

The two cards, one sitting on top of the other, can appear as one large card covering everything. There is just about no space between the two.

Not saying this is the case, but if you open up Device Manager and you see two 6950's listed under display device, then you have two cards.

18 Posts

June 25th, 2011 12:00

They do not have two mother boards for your example. I have a singe GTX 590 with all of the PCI slots.

A picture tells a thousand words.....pot one and we can show u where it it is.

18 Posts

June 25th, 2011 12:00

Maybe you have the Killer NIC and X-Fi card taking up the other slots?

2.4K Posts

June 25th, 2011 23:00

pics pls

9 Posts

June 26th, 2011 03:00

ok update (aka i'm stupid)...until now, the angle I was watching the mobo, pointed that the other PCIe slot is under the video card but now, taking a closer look, actually the 2nd PCIe slot is immiediatelly under the video card...I think I can add another video card, but they will stay extermly close, i think the 2 video cards will touch..is this normal? i'm asking because I never saw an ALienware with dual video cards and the normal systems, with crossfire/sli, have some space between the cards, to allow some airflow..

46 Posts

June 26th, 2011 05:00

check out this thread

en.community.dell.com/.../19858935.aspx

after reading i decided not to go the dual card route! when i can afford it im going dual chip/single card i think, i believe in there it mentions he had to re route some cables because the fan on the lower card was snagging on the cables,

i recently added a 5.25 caddie for some ssd hard drives  and had to sort out the cabling, because the graphics card was getting in the way of the sata cables,

the R3 is an awesome pc for the price, but DELL have put it together on a budget i think, as little attention has been given to the layout,at the rear end!!!

No Events found!