Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2015 19:00

Early 2012 Alienware x51 Nvidia Geforce GTX555 has died

Hi,

I have an early 2012 Alienware x51 Andromeda R5 with Intel i7 Sandy Bridge 2600 3.4GHz, 330 watt power supply and a Nvidia Geforce GTX555.

And the GTX555 has died, or at least keeps crashing and coming back in what looks like 8 bit settings with weird colours in 800x600, and I am out of warranty.

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I now have to run onboard Intel integrated graphics, which won't allow me to run any games.

How can I fix this? Updated drivers don't seem to fix it.

Or what graphics card can I upgrade to, with these specs, to fix this problem?

TIA

727 Posts

August 4th, 2015 17:00

If you wanted to upgrade your GPU, below are options you can buy new.

• GTX 750 (ti)
  • GTX 760
  • GTX 960
  • GTX 970
  • HD 7850
  • HD 7870
  • R9 270 (x)
  • Technically, the R9 285 / R9 380 (same GPU, different clock speeds). 

I recommend the GTX 960. You would want a blower design GPU (same design as your GTX 555). If the 960 is over your budget, the GTX 760 is a good alternative. The GTX 970 requires an R2's power board (hard to find).

I've used both the GTX 960 and the R9 285 in my X51 R1 (both don't have blower designs). As far as power is concerned, both of them worked well with no shut downs in the computer.

727 Posts

August 4th, 2015 23:00

You'll have to update your BIOS for a couple of those GPUs to work. PCI-E 3.0 is available on the X51 once you have updated your BIOS. It's a BIOS setting you can change from 2.0 to 3.0. And any card that works on 3.0 works on 2.0.

By blower design, I mean there's a fan at the end of a card. It doesn't look anything special, either. If you open up your computer and take out your GTX 555, you'll know what I mean.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 12:00

Hello, 

Make sure you have the latest Bios version installed, click here for the download link. We recommend you do a clean installation of the video card drivers. Uninstall both the Intel and Nvidia drivers first. Restart the system, install the Intel driver first, click here for the download link. Then restart the system again and install the Nvidia driver, try using the latest driver from the Nvidia site.

If you continue to have the same error after this, it could be more of a hardware problem. To rule out any other possible driver or software issues, you can also do an Alien Respawn. This will restore your system to factory settings so make sure you back up your information first before trying this. Click here to view an article that explains how to run Alien Respawn. 

August 3rd, 2015 17:00

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried the clean installs of the latest graphics drivers, but it didn't help.

If I wanted to upgrade the GPU, what are the recommended cards for this system?

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 18:00

330 watt seems awefully small for a system of such power m8 thats where i would look psu might have lost a rail or something cards dont usally give u anything when they die let alone 8 bit graphics

August 4th, 2015 16:00

You do realise the PSU's on these are external and you only get the choice of 240 or 330?

August 4th, 2015 17:00

The Alienware 330 watt power supply is what comes with this X51 setup, its actually the bigger version available, and recommended for the GTX555. And its a separate PSU for the small form factor of the x51, so not easily upgraded as a normal PSU in a normal PC - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=332-1432

The card isn't working, and Windows disables it ("Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)").

Its when I try using it I get pink screens at 800x600 in what looks like 8 bit chunky graphics.

August 4th, 2015 23:00

Thanks for the recommendations, helps a lot. But what exactly do you mean by "blower design"?

One other question, I've read in some places the board on these x51s only has PCIe2.0 and so any GPU card that uses 3.0 won't work.

Do you know if this is true?

And are the cards you listed all PCIe2.0 compatible?

August 5th, 2015 02:00

You wouldn't happen to know which cards I would need to update my bios for?

I'm thinking of trying the GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5, as its just cheaper than the others, but it lists it as
"Bus Standard: PCIe3".

Can I just plug this in and go without the hassle of updating my bios? 

6 Posts

August 5th, 2015 03:00

i did but wasnt aware that they only came with 2 choices and i still stick with my original thought and possible replacment of the psu surley it will be cheaper than outting for a new card especially a design specific i use a 650 ti oc boost 2 gig myself even plays gta 5

727 Posts

August 5th, 2015 09:00

The GTX 750 ti will most likely need a BIOS update. It's not that hard to perform. Just grab the BIOS from the Dell Support Site, and update. I suggest going in increments as opposed to jumping to the latest one.

No Events found!